Find
Notify
Tools

338-06 v. 338-06 AI 40�
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,

Thru some wheeling and dealing, I just picked up a custom pre 64 Model 70 done in 338-06.

It will be joing some big brothers in the 338 portion of my safe - a custom 338 WSM and a Custom A-Square that Art did in 338-8mm Rem Mag.

My question is as follows:

Will I get anything more out of the 338-06 if I ream it to 40�? Or am I bettre off leaving it alone?

I have a 25-06 40�, that will actually shoot into 1 hole with 100gr Bal Tips and 60gr H1000.

You guys seems to be in tune to the 338-06.

Your advice is appreciated.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I'll break the ice. Here is my "opinion". To do an improved case correctly you will need to pull and set the barrel back one full turn and rechamber. Personally I shoot a 340 wildcat based on a 280 case. Looks a lot like a 338 Gibbs. from a 24" barrel and a 180 grbt I get 3120 with no head expansion. I love it and wouldn't think of pulling out my 338wm unless I needed 250 or heaver. The Ackley will gain you a little, the Gibbs a little more. But you already have something bigger. If you want speed go with your 338-8mag. Don't have any experience with the 338wsm. Anyway you have the heavy and fast end covered. I would leave the 338-06 alone and enjoy.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bearmanmt>
posted
Wildcatter,
I have two .338-06s. Both shoot great and feed flawlessly. Sometimes improving a cartridge to the AI version can cause feeding problems. Seems to be more prevalent in Mausers than in the M70s, Springfields and Enfields.
Only about 5% more case capacity for the AI, so the velocity gains will be minimal.
Also, with the .338-06 being standardized by A Square and ammo being produced by Norma for A Square, dies and everything else will be available cheap.
Just some thoughts.
Good shooting.
The Bearman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Thanx for your feedback.

Based on your input, I have decided to leave it as is (no AI).

As stated by Ramrod340, I already have the 338 WSM and the 338-8mm Rem Mag. So what's the use? I just never thought of it that way until Ramrod mentioned it.

I appreciate your assistance in opening my eyes.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone found the Improved version to provide longer case life? I know some claim that for the .30-30 Improved.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote