THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Looking between a Savage, Bergara, and a Christensen

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking between a Savage, Bergara, and a Christensen
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted
Well, after 12 years of great service, many, many, deer, and upwards of 1700 rounds from me (used rifle) the lands on my old Savage 116 are a bit worn. Because of some good paychecks, I able to get a replacement rifle (or a new barrel).
I have it narrowed down to three.

1. A Bergara B-14 HMR. Friend swears by these. While they shoot, it feels "odd" in my hands (he has one).
2. CHRISTENSEN ARMS, MESA LONG RANG. I have heard mixed things about these, but some of the guys at the range love them. Seems to fit well, but I am wondering about the reported quality issues.

3. Savage 110 Long Range hunter. Pro's it I am VERY familiar with Savages (have 4 including the one I am replacing). But the recent Savages I have seen have not impressed me.

Rifle will be used for hunting deer and antelope with off season long range plinking (hence the desire for a bit heavier barrel). Price point is no more than $1,700. Sticking with a 7mm Rem mag mainly because I like the round. Just looking for advice.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Friends font let friends buy savages, lol. Honestly though, I think you would be hard pressed to get better performance by upgrading the barrel on your current rifle. If it were me though, I would get the christensen.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Choosing from the three you listed, the only choice I would make would be Christensen.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Christensen Arms Mesa. Bought it very lightly used from a member here. It’s accurate and functional. There are a few savages in my safe, the Mesa is much nicer in fit and finish, and nicer to handle than my savage rifles.

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
You'll be happy with either the B14 HMR or the Mesa Long Range. I do not see the B14 HMR in 7mm rem mag..maybe one of the other rifles in the B14 series is chambered for it.

HMR will save you around $600 compared to the Christensen MLR. Pretty easy to find the Bergara's for around $950.

Accuracy between the Bergara and the Christensen are going to be neck and neck. Fit and finish on the B14 HMR I have and the one I got my dad for fathers day are perfect. Smooth action and very nice.

I held a Mesa Long Range on 300 PRC today and thought it was nice. The dealer was asking too much (1799)...I think you can usually find them for 1599 or so.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the comb on the Bergara is a touch low.
I put a small wrap around pack on mine that holds a few rounds of ammo a knife my tag and 2 granola bars and all is right with the world again.

you couldn't beg nor borrow that rifle from me after using it for a few years now.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if it were me? buy the savage, get better glass

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
SO I went with the Mesa. Began break in process tonight. With "green box" Remington 150 Grain core locks I was getting better than 1/2" groups. Not worried about load development yet, but I love the rifle so far!

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NEJack:
SO I went with the Mesa. Began break in process tonight. With "green box" Remington 150 Grain core locks I was getting better than 1/2" groups. Not worried about load development yet, but I love the rifle so far!

And why not use the Remington ammo.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
LOL. Because half the fun is find a "great" load.

I bought a few different flavors to try. Next break in string will be with some Hornady ammo that my gun store friend procured for me to try (I bought it, he just kept a box back for me).

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
SO I went with the Mesa.

Smart move. tu2

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Mesa in 6.5 CM and put a VX6 2-12 on her. The Mesa is a lot of gun for the money. To my eye the fit, finish and aesthetics are far superior to the other mentioned rifles; I much prefer the carbon fiber stock to the cheap, injection molded stocks of the Savage and Bergara. I killed two birds with one stone and did load development while breaking in the barrel. I was getting .4” groups with the first shots. My next choice would have been the Barrett Field Craft, which is $600 more. I would lump the Browning Hells Canyon in with the Savage and Bergara. Way over priced for what you get.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Christensens has quality control issues, and does not fix their problems.

Bergara is very receptive.

I'd own a Bergara first.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote