THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Custom 338 Federal Project Comes Together..........Pics

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 338 Federal Project Comes Together..........Pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some time ago I decided that the 338 Federal was the perfect round for the lower 48, for me at least. I found an extremely talented riflesmith here in West Virginia. His name is Steve Cale, I'll post his info at the end of this post.

I had a Ruger action laying around I had traded for and I took it to Steve. My goal was to have an accurate rifle capable of shooting the crows out of my food plots and putting a black bear rug in front of my fireplace. I told Steve it would be treated very rough spending lots of time on an ATV being bounced around our mountains here. I think Steve out did himself.

Here is a list of what Steve did to the Ruger :

Hart barrel, contoured to the Ruger action, 1-10 twist, #3 contour, 24"...

Bedded a Bansner stock.....

Custom non-slip finish on stock.....

Timney Trigger with added tuning.....

Recoil pad.......

Smoothed action....

Custom crown...

Matte finish.....

It seems to like factory Federal Accubond 180gn ammo !

This is Steves unique bedding process. As you can see its floated out to the last couple of inches then its bedded again, it really works !!

I put a Leupold VX III 3.5 x 10 Boone & Crockett retical on it.

As you can see it shoots pretty damn good. But there was a break in period. The very first group went well over 2 inches. these are shots 158 to 163. It took that long for the barrel to break in, but thats exactly what Steve said would happen. I am proud of the fact that we can build fine rifles right here in West Virginia. Steve Cale can be reached at 304-757-6465, Mon-Fri. I have found my everyday working rifle.

The cost was a little over $3000.00 One of the perks of living in a small town is everyone knows me and what I do. So I took the rifle into the post office and loaded with 4 180gn Accubonds it weighed in at exactly 8 lbs.

I have no idea how well it can really shoot as thats about as good as I can shoot anything. I am sure there is a handload that will do better.

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That well do nice should put a lot of varmints and game down.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Can you elaborate on the stock finish?

Thanks!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30378, Steve sprays on his own special texture mix, as you can see its got something in it for texture, it feels just like it looks, rough but its tough as hell. I tried to scratch it with a quarter and it never left a mark. Steve can explain it better than I can...............JJ

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I think a buddy of mine had to take out a second mortgage to pay for all the work he had Steve do. Wink I've never seen one of his synthetic stocked rifles, but he does great things to wood too.

Looks to me like he built you one very nice rifle. thumb

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
oh man... another ruger?
what did i start with making customs on them!!

nice rifle!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJ_Miller:
So I took the rifle into the post office and loaded with 4 180gn Accubonds it weighed in at exactly 8 lbs.

You took a loaded rifle into a post office?

shocker

Very nice rifle! I have a Ruger with a Hart barrel also. My oldest, but probably most sentimental rifle.

Leftie MK II, M77, 270, #1 Hart. I know exactly what you mean about break in. Of every custom barrel I have, the Hart took the longest by far to break in but it shot great from the get go.

Very nice looking rifle. I love the stock.

Oh yea, who says a Ruger can't shoot? Mine have always shot well.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool rifle. I love the cal. too. I've got a ruger frontier model in a 338 federal. It is also extremely accurste even with the short barrel. The 338 fed has all the killing power necessary for anything in the states, has little recoil, and is accurate as anyone could want out to 250. Good luck blooding it. It should be a good time.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
I LUV IT. Sweet cal choice thumb

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
VERY nice rifle indeed, would love to know how a 22" Hawkeye Ruger 338F would do. I would think well if bedded right, and the trigger was 'tweaked', may get one yet. It or a Tikka.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done, hope mine will shoot that well.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it drew its first blood this weekend. After spending 2 days strapped to my ATV being rode like hell I shot a racoon off the top of one of my feeders at approx. 90 yards. The rifle held its zero. Never touched the feeder and kinds separtated the'coon into 2 parts, wow!, those accubonds make an ugly hole.

Its passed the first test as a varmit ( for West Virginia ) gun. Now I need to try it on something bigger. I see a boar hunt in the future.............................JJ