Find
Notify
Tools

Fusions on elk?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
Has anybody here used Federal's Fusion bullet on elk? I haven't heard any reports yet on this. I assume they would work all right since they are essentially bonded. Am I correct or are they built too light.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I've used them on deer in the 180gr 30-06 flavor.

No way, no how would I EVER consider using these bullets on Elk. Yes they are bonded but they are still way too fragile for elk. Case in point, I was unable to get full penetration on a quartering at me shot on a little South Carolina whitetail (165lber) with the 180gr Fusion. If that had been the same weight partition that same shot would most definitely have had an exit wound. If that bullet can't make it through 2 feet of whitetail it hasn't got a prayer faced with 3 foot of elk. The Fusions are bonded but don't expect them to behave like premium bonded bullets. They won't.

I know they are tempting because they are very reasonably priced and truly an accurate bullet. This is why I used them for deer one year in the first place. At the range the factory fusions were every single bit as accurate as my best reloads. If I was just into killing paper there would be no reason to shoot anything else. I have had Core-Locs hold together better on deer than Fusions. Lots of elk have been killed with Core-locs but there are much better bullets than them for elk as well.

The jackets on these bullets are thin and not very strong. I really don't think they are up to taking out an elk. I'm not saying it can't be done but I don't think it's a good idea.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I personally have never recovered a fusion from my 270 wsm. Actually I took a 4 point muley buck just this morning where the bullet did a clean pass through both lungs and out the far side. I have had some gun shop guys tell me that they would work on elk but we all know you can't always believe them. I will just have to stick to my triple shocks and accubonds.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote