Find
Notify
Tools

Re Chamber a 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
I have an opportunity to pick up a nice rifle in 22-250 but it is a caliber I wouldn't use. How large can I bore the rifle out to without messing with the bolt head and magazine- it is a short action for 6.5x55 or even 7mm-08 I think. Is this correct? Any comments- I have not had this done to a rifle before.....I understand most gunsmiths can do this work
(duplicate post in the gunsmithing forum)

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
The 22-250 has a .473 bolt face. This leaves a huge selection of short action calibers, all of the x54 or x55 carts and everything done on the 308 case (6mm to .358), or broach the bolt face and chamber for a short mag. What make is the action?

As for boring the barrel out, it is much better to buy a custom barrel and have it fitted.

As for the San Diego locale, it's great! Have you been to the Gas Lamp district yet? Kansas City BBQ? Plus go straight up the 15 and there's great coyote hunting, and more than one good wild boar range (need directions? PM me). I can even recommend an excellent riflesmith who does loads of FBI, LE and SWAT sniper work and whose customers get together for 1000 yard shoots regularly.

I just relocated from Corona, an hour north of there to north Florida, if I can hack it in the land of humidity and Bubbas, you can enjoy the country's best weather.

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ Ted, a rebarrel will probably give you better results. Expect to pay $400+ for a good bbl. & fitting. Any of the 308 variants will fit the action, just depends on what you want the rifle for. Drop by Duncan's Guns in SanMarcos & ask for Laszlo. He builds some great rifles.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just rebarrel and rechamber, its cheaper in the long run, and I think the results will be more satisfactory, the wait will be much less..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote