New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liking my .270 real well !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took a forked horn mule deer with my old .270 this year. The rifle scope and load did real well.
This is my 3rd .270. The 1st 2 I boght were bitter disapointmens. A 700 ADL and a pre 64 featherweight I put a ton of money into but never shot well enough for me.
The one I have now is 1953 Vintage FN, I bought a couple years ago. It was like new when I bought it , and still looks good with a few dings. I put a Weaver grand slam 3X10 on her and tried severeal loads, but the one she liked best so far, and the one I used on the hunt, was a 130 grain Hornady SST under 60.8 grains of H-4831. Gives a little over 3000 and just under .75 inches.
I will play with some other stuff this summer just cause I like too, but I shot the buck in the neck at 90 yards and he droped real quick
It likes the 140 grain acubond too so I will play around with that some. Great cartridge, no pad at all on the rifle but I can't imajine anybody wanting one.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ, that rifle sounds like my typical experience with the .270, of which I have a bunch.

I have never had one that didn't shoot good, and many shoot lights out!

That load sounds a little warm, but is obviously giving you great results. The 130 Grain is the classic whitetail load for a 270, and with some of the new bullets, it's really potent, even on some of those Gangster up north deer--have taken a couple with the 130 Accubond and TSX, and it was like a laser.

Continued good luck with your rig---Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Congrats Thomas, sounds like a nice rifle that deserves a picture on here. I like the 270 winchester as a matter of fact I have had a couple besides the one I have now. Which is a ruger mark II stainless, all of the ones I've had shot well. Might be just luck I don't know but I am glad you found one that shoots good. They are killers, for years I was on a shotgun only lease so I was using slugs(new generation slugs) on deer and hogs. Deer still ran 50 to 70yrds when shot. About five years ago I shot my first deer with a 270(yearling doe) she went drt, I thought ok small deer, well about a week later a decent buck came by...drt again. That done it, they were both confirmed heart shots and with nosler solid base bullets. Which in my opinion are better than the ballistic tips( same bullet different tips). The one I have now shoots gamekings good but I just picked up some 130gr accubonds I will work up a load for. Good luck with your new rifle, I would like to have an FN someday myself. Cool

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I have been lucky, I have owned 6 270's and all have been real shooters. Pretty good round for the deer, sheep and antelope class of game too but I like the 30-06 or 7MM RM better for elk.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ,
Congrats,
I have been liking my 270's real well for about 25 years now.

Shot an antelope on Saturday with 60gr H4831SC and Barnes 130gr TSX. Running about 3000fps and sub MOA groups.

Deer season opens Nov 1st.... clap

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .270 proved itself before most of the posters including my 73 year old self were around. It has performed with dignaty since its birth and continues to do so..

I still have about 10 lbs. of old Milsurp 4831, the stuff that Jack O'Conner made famous and it gets me an easy 3200 plus FPS in a 22" pre 64 Win with any 130 gr. bullet. The new stuff won't come close to it, but then who needs the extra, 2900 FPS is more than plenty for about anything that walks this side of the pond, with the big bears being the exception, or are they???

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray: I have 2 lbs of old H 4831 that is in paper bags with Hodgdon lettering on it.

I think old mil surp is even older.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with my FN based .270 and have taken elk, deer, bear, and antelope with confidence using a 130 grain bullet. Enjoy!

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ,

I'm glad that FN is working out for you-- I'm still kicking myself for not buying it when I saw it at L&L.

Jim

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 70 Winchester in 270 that I bought second hand. It is stainless-wood stock.
I was at my lake cabin when I put the scope on it and the only place to get ammo was walmart. The only 270 they had was the remington 150 grain round nose. It shot so well that is the only ammo I have ever used. However I have been eyeing some 150 grain winchester power-point. It is pointed instead of round nose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is my 3rd .270. The 1st 2 I boght were bitter disapointmens. A 700 ADL and a pre 64 featherweight I put a ton of money into but never shot well enough for me

Sorry to hear about the ADL. I have a couple of pre 64's, one in 270 Win. The 270, well it is about a sub 2 MOA rifle, the 30-06 is about 1.25 MOA. Those old barrels really vary in quality.

As for the 270 round, I have a custom M1917 with a heavy 270 barrel. The 270 round loaded with good bullets in a good barrel, will shoot 1/2 MOA. And at good velocities.

Have not shot a deer with a 270, but that round will fragment a crow. It is still around because it is a good round.