THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    8mm-06 chrono'd velocities at modern pressures - anybody got any?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm-06 chrono'd velocities at modern pressures - anybody got any?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Looking for loads and chrono'd velocities for 200 grain bullets at modern pressures - i.e. 60k+ psi

What say yea?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No tested loads on the 8-'06, but the following on the 8X64S, which is only slightly larger (70.26 gr. water vs 69.90 gr. water for the 8-'06) at a maximum pressure of 4050 bar (58,740 psi).
200 grain Speer with 50.7 gr. of IMR 4064=805mps/2641fps.
This from the DEVA manual, which is the German organization for proof testing and research on ammunition. (Deutsche Versuchs-und Prüf-Anstalt für Jagd- und Sportwaffen e.V.)
My old Speer Wildcat Manual has no listing for a 200 grain bullet, but lists a maximum of 52 grains of 4064 at 2454 fps. with no pressure information for the 225 grain bullet.
I think I would start at about 48 grains and work up.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
XAUSA,

Thank you - that is very useful information.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have a Mannlicher stocked 98 with a 20" barrel, About 1994 I was going on a black bear hunt in Canada. I wanted to get a minimum of 2700 fps out of the 200 gr. Nosler partition. There was nowhere near the powder selection then as there is now. The standards were 4895,4064 and 4320 and none of them would achieve much more than 2650 fps and that with definite pressure signs, I was determined to get 2700, I know, but that was then. I was using Win 06 brass for capacity and was neck sizing only. I decided a ball powder might work so I got some H-380 and started working up. I lost all my records in a fire years ago but I can tell you that even using a 12" drop tube and tapping the case, I never got a single pressure sign like I did with the others and I easily achieved 2740 fps and it was devastating on the bears. I would think that maybe Re 16-17 would be good choices nowadays. I wish I could remember the specific charge, but it was all you could get in and seat the bullet with some compression.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very helpful thank you!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have like 5 manuals [number i stopped looking in] with 8-06 data.
1 shows 200gr bullets[Speer]
the others show 125-150-170 and even 220gr bullets.
looking them over gives me the idea that Hornady is the only one that got close to 60-K with their data.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Is that and old Hornady book? What does it show for the bullet closest to 200 grains? Velocity and pressure?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up number-4 at random, I also have number-7.
they don't give pressures but tested in a model 98 converted and was using converted milsurp cases.
they were using 220 gr bullets to hit 2400 fps with 4350/414/AA-3100 and RL-19 all at the 54-55gr level max loads.

backing down to a 170 they showed 2800 fps with pretty much everything from 3031 up through win-760/I-4350.

just sayin if it were me.
I would work with IMR-4350 starting at 53.5grs and moving forward calling it off at about 58grs or whenever I seen the signs depending on the cases I was using.
2600 fps would be about the point I got real,real careful.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Cfe 223 is a likely candidate for success sir. Take a look at Speer data for 338-06 and 35 whelen.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Not sure about that.

I don't see CFE 223 used in any cases bigger/longer than 8x57. The one exception is the 270 Winchester and that is with very light for caliber bullets. I don't think the burn rate is would be correct for the 8mm-06 with 200 grain bullets.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Another reference point from Nosler:

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/8mm-06/

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But note that Nosler shows an 8x57 at 2698 fps with 52 gr. IMR 4350.
https://load-data.nosler.com/l...ta/8x57mm-js-mauser/

One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
I just ran Quickload on this. Using a Nosler Accubond 200gr, RL-16 and RL-17, 55.5gr charge with both. These two powders showed the best velocities. 58,000 psi, 2750 fps with a 24" barrel. I have been using Quickload for many years now, on many cartridges, and chronograph velocities are usually within 50 fps using my Oehler 35P chrono.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Not sure about that.

I don't see CFE 223 used in any cases bigger/longer than 8x57. The one exception is the 270 Winchester and that is with very light for caliber bullets. I don't think the burn rate is would be correct for the 8mm-06 with 200 grain bullets.

I have no personal knowledge but both CFE 223 and Power Pro 2000 are in Speer's 35 whelen data on the fast loads sections, and they have 338 federal 200 going 2682 fps with it as well. I do know that AA 2015 used at full pressure in the 35 Whelen, which I got from an Old Barnes manual, is the real deal on a 225 X bullet.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An old Speers Number 9 manual got the 170 going 2856 fps with 52 grains of IMR 4064 and got the 225 grain going 2464 fps with 56 grains of N205. Who knows substituting that N205 load with a 200 grain bullet, which is 25 grains lighter may get you what you want. Take into consideration different bullet manufacture and bearing surface lengths.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
ddsipe - thanks

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nolser Guide 8 show

2571from 56.5 grains of RL19
2602 from 59 grains of H4831SC
200Grain Accubond and Partition

2684 from 48grains of RL15
2763 from 56 grains of H380
180 grain bullet Ballistic Tip and ETip

24 inch barrel 3.250 COAL

The book says just use a tapper expander ball and no firformimg with 30/06 brass.

Posts: 10810 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where’s Wildcat Junkie? He’s got the 8mm data you’re looking for.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The reason I am looking for "chrono'd" loads at modern pressures is much of the published data is 55-58k psi.

If I convert a Rem 700 or any other action that can handle a 270 Win, there is no reason not load in 62-63k range.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I convert a Rem 700 or any other action that can handle a 270 Win, there is no reason not load in 62-63k range.

True. But that is also true of any M98 Mauser, commercial or military. It is also true of just about any bolt action made post 19th Century.

People forget that the steel of the action is MUCH stronger than the brass of the cartridge. The brass will fail long before the action does. The reason for keeping pressures below the 65K area is not due the lack of action strength, but things like stretchiness in actions like levers, pumps, and certain rear-locking actions. Front-locking turnbolts will maintain their structural integrity at pressures much higher that those which cause brass leaks around the primer. Though it is true that some actions handle escaping gas much more safely than others. If you want and eyeful of metal try sawing a gas channel into the side of a Rem 700 bolt face and placing a Sako extractor in it. With a case failure the extractor will blow off and on the 700 bolt with out any kind of bolt guide there is nothing to keep it out of your sinuses.

Posts: 13229 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
You can search “hotrodding” in posts by wildcat junkie and find chronograph data. A case full of win 760 behind a Nosler 200 partition at 2700+ is what you will find. He also had quick load as backup data.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Do you recall which Forum it was in?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I found it...most of the data is for 8mm Mazon which is a very different case.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yes he had the 8x57 and others listed. I think he is an experienced 8x57 user.
I can pass on that the 198 grain Portuguese machine gun ammo was likely 60Kpsi Best ammo I ever had. Wish I had purchased more of it back in the 1980's. I pulled some of those bullets and put Speer 200's in their place. Did not have a chrony at the time. They hit like the Hammer of Thor on big Northern Whitetail though.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a ton of the Portuguese heavy ball; I can send Mike some. It is hot stuff for sure.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
If you have a Ton, I would take a bushel!
Fine ammo.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
1962 P.O. Ackley only has one for a 200 grain. 62 grains 4350 at 2740. Sorry no pressure listed. Seems rather hot.
Food for thought .... The same book shows 56 grains of 4350 for the 200 grain bullet in a.30-'06 at 2715.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I don't think it really is that hot.

280 Remington 154 grn 2800 fps
30-06 180 grn 2750 fps
8mm-06 200 grn 2740 fps

The above all all proportional to each other in SD.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have it for my MG34. That is not a joke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot WWII German machine gun ammo. It's plenty hot for sure!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Uhhh...are we talkin apples and oranges here?

I think you are talking about an 8x57 as opposed to 8mm-06.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have it for my MG34. That is not a joke.

You are now on my friend for life list Sir.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, apples and oranges. Fruit salad. It's still 8mm.
German 8mm is hot, and so is the Portuguese. 8x57.
It's all in the same vein. Not the blood kind of vein.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Mike,
On another topic I was asking about a 375-06 on a lh zastava I just bought.
I've sort of backed off of that since I have a 9.3x 62 and I can't wrap my head around mirror identical performance so I was thinking 8mm-06 more or less about the time you posted this topic.
What are your thoughts here?

Posts: 9077 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I wanted something with a touch more bore diameter than 30 caliber, that could push a relatively heavy for caliber bullet @ close to 2750 fps.

I think an SD of ~.27 and a BC of ~.45 and a velocity of ~2750 is the sweet spot for medium bores.

It will be my elk, moose, wild boar rifle.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some load data, but Im not near it right now..I loaded the 8x57, 8mm-06 for fireforming to 8mm-06 Ackley, which causes a drop in velocity as a rule and got near 2800 FPS as I recall, Ihave that data I'll get it for you..

Today Im shooting the 8x57 and the 8mm/06 Ackley IMP..I gained less than I expected.If I had it to do over Id stick with the 8mm-06..I seemed to get about 5% with each change, but still working on it..All with 180 and 200 gr bullets,,the big move came with 150 gr. bullets, they sizzled with every change and should be a sho nuff deer bullet..

But push come to shove, of all the testing I was most pleased with the 160 gr. TTSX Pointed at 3000 plus FPS, in the 8x57 that should kill anything that walks talks swims or flys..

My final opinion is don't ever underestimate the old stand by 8x57..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote