THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Question on bullet weight in a Scout rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on bullet weight in a Scout rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello all,
Getting ready to load some ammunition for my 19" barreled Steyr Scout rifle. My normal, "go to" load for that rifle has been a 165-grain Partition or Accubond over 45-grains of Varget. I am training my wife and youngest daughter to shoot some. I will start them out with 150 grain Speers over 4759 for reduced recoil, and was thinking of going to a 150-grain Partition over 44-grains of Varget, or BL-C2 as the go to round. Does that make sense?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it does.
I used steps of 4895 in the 308 when teaching the kids to shoot.
I started with cast then some plated to keep the costs down and to get them large amounts of trigger time.
I then moved them over to light weight jacketed bullets and then to 150gr lower speed rounds and increased the velocity until I got to an accuracy node the rifle liked.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 220s in my 06 scout rifle for bears and hogs.

I shoot 168s out of my 16 inch 308.

I shoot 139s in my 7x57 scout.

The 150gr partitions well just be fine.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second vote for 150 Partitions.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Confused What cartridge are we looking at?? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assumed it was 308 Winchester. Out of a Scout barrel, the 150's would be wise.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ar corey:
I assumed it was 308 Winchester. Out of a Scout barrel, the 150's would be wise.

That depends on whether you're talking about paper targets, or live ones.

In .308, Cooper specified that the cartridge needed to be "capable of striking a single decisive blow" on a "live target of up to 400 kilograms in weight," which is about 1,000-lbs.

While that weight range obviously covers defensive use of the Scout Rifle on 2-legged targets, it was meant to include large and dangerous species too - or, as Cooper put it, anything from "prairie dogs to Alaskan moose."

So for use on larger species of game, heavier bullets in the 180gn range are certainly called for.

That's one reason why I'd prefer a SR built off the 1903 or 03A3 platform, as both are chambered in 30-06. I can do most shooting with 150gn M2 '06 ball ammo but have the option of easily "loading-up" with the 200gn and 220gn bullets for the Big Stuff, ... Whereas with the .308, Cooper's preferred chambering, you're ballistically topping out with 180gns bullets.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd gladly hunt moose with a 150 gr. monometal out of a 308.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I think your selection of the 165 partition for the scout is just fine . About 22gr. of 4759 will yield reduced recoil and the energy level of the 30-30. Not all bad ,I'd say. claproger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would use whatever is more accurate. I don’t notice much recoil difference between 150’s and 165’s in either .308 or .30-06.

If you are not going for elk or bigger, a cup and core will serve as well out of a short barrel .308.

Posts: 10596 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
Hello all,
Getting ready to load some ammunition for my 19" barreled Steyr Scout rifle. My normal, "go to" load for that rifle has been a 165-grain Partition or Accubond over 45-grains of Varget. I am training my wife and youngest daughter to shoot some. I will start them out with 150 grain Speers over 4759 for reduced recoil, and was thinking of going to a 150-grain Partition over 44-grains of Varget, or BL-C2 as the go to round. Does that make sense?

Absolutely, for training with smaller stature shooters it would be perfect. I run 165gr ammo for hunting in my 19.7" Blaser R93 Tracker, I can tell the difference in recoil when shooting 147gr NATO ball ammo.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That depends on whether you're talking about paper targets, or live ones.

In .308, Cooper specified that the cartridge needed to be "capable of striking a single decisive blow" on a "live target of up to 400 kilograms in weight," which is about 1,000-lbs.

While that weight range obviously covers defensive use of the Scout Rifle on 2-legged targets, it was meant to include large and dangerous species too - or, as Cooper put it, anything from "prairie dogs to Alaskan moose."

So for use on larger species of game, heavier bullets in the 180gn range are certainly called for.

That's one reason why I'd prefer a SR built off the 1903 or 03A3 platform, as both are chambered in 30-06. I can do most shooting with 150gn M2 '06 ball ammo but have the option of easily "loading-up" with the 200gn and 220gn bullets for the Big Stuff, ... Whereas with the .308, Cooper's preferred chambering, you're ballistically topping out with 180gns bullets.

All The Best ...

Thank you for the feed back. I have to dance with the rifle I own. I have to make it less intimidating for the girls I love.

This rifle is dead nuts accurate with either the 150 or 165 Partition, Accubond, and even the Partition. I have a heavier .308 that will be pushing 165-grain pills, and a caddy of eight pounds of 4759 inbound.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it does.
I used steps of 4895 in the 308 when teaching the kids to shoot.
I started with cast then some plated to keep the costs down and to get them large amounts of trigger time.
I then moved them over to light weight jacketed bullets and then to 150gr lower speed rounds and increased the velocity until I got to an accuracy node the rifle liked.

I like your systems engineering concepts. I need to order some 150-grain Ballistic Tips on sail at SPS ($15.00/50), and start them on a 4759 reduced loading, then gradually increase the charge of BL-C2 (meters like a champ). 2,650 should be plenty of velocity. May go to a 1.75-6 Leupold over my 1.5-5.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think your selection of the 165 partition for the scout is just fine . About 22gr. of 4759 will yield reduced recoil and the energy level of the 30-30. Not all bad ,I'd say. roger

I think your selection of the 165 partition for the scout is just fine . About 22gr. of 4759 will yield reduced recoil and the energy level of the 30-30. Not all bad ,I'd say. claproger beer

Not bad at all. I will get the 4759, some 5744, and Trail Boss this summer the girls will be wearing pearls, and farting through silk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello all,

150 grain Partition over Varget.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ar corey:
quote:
Hello all,

150 grain Partition over Varget.

Depends on the game. 150gn .308 loads should work fine on deer.

For moose, elk, and black or brown bear, you need to be gunning-up to the 180gn range in .308.

In 30-06, those critters are easily taken with 200gn or 220gn loads.

All The Best ...

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I would buy the 150 gr factory seconds from Midway to train in low velocity and slowly work up as you proposed. For hunting medium game,deer, use the Barnes ttx in 130 gr. Then go up in bullet size if the game goes up in size. You have it planned right Lawndart.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot light-for-weight in my 308, Nosler's 125 Accubond has done me well. The recoil is much lighter.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 125 gr.Noslers for deer..keep the range to under 300 yards is probably good advise.

I like the .308 Sav. mod. 99F when Im hunting horse back for deer or elk..Its flat and handy and with a 165 gr. Nosler its a good enough killer of elk at any reasonable distance, again under 300 yards under most conditions. I also like the 180 gr. partition at 2600 FPS

If Im walking I pack my .338 win. and 250 gr. Noslers..sometimes 225 gr. Accubonds or partitons.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
* * * I will start them out with 150 grain Speers over 4759 for reduced recoil, and was thinking of going to a 150-grain Partition over 44-grains of Varget, or BL-C2 as the go to round. Does that make sense?

Varget powder is an excellent choice.

Service Rifle competitors use it extensively in their handloaded Match ammo because it's just about imperious to swings in temperature under range conditions, and your dope (known zero for a given distance) is unaffected.

All The Best ...