THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    338 Federal And 210 TSX Make a Formable Combonation

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Federal And 210 TSX Make a Formable Combonation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted
The 338 Federal is a real performer on game. I saw a gentelman take a Zebra with the 338 Federal and 210 TSX bullets.. The performance was quite spectacluar as can be seen by the photos..

Exit in Hide

Rifle used was a Kimber total wieght of 6 pounds including scope

Check out the size of the wound in the heart

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's my favorite bullet for my 338-06.

I think that the 210gr bullets are to the 338's as 130gr bullets are to the 270's.

There are lighter and heavier bullets for each caliber, but no need for them.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
NICE, what was the range?

If one gets proper expansion yes I agree these lighter bullets that hold great wt. retention do very well. Impressed myself w/243/85gr x, on a hog.

Have heard mixed reports, as sometimes it seems they don't open properly. May be caliber/velocity dependent, or could be QC issues on material hardness/consistency in production lots? I would think most has been worked out......

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5BR:
I agree these lighter bullets that hold great wt. retention do very well.

In the 338 Federal the 210 gr could be considered a mid weight bullet. Most of the 338 Federal info I've been able to dig up recommend not shooting a bullet heavier than 225 gr. because of the case size.

Posts: 51 | Location: PA | Registered: 17 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%, a 225 is about all you want in this case, unless you are very close, and it would not help to go heavier IMHO. This ctg as I have wrote before seems at best with 185-210s, and I believe it does a great job at common sensible ranges for the average hunter.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good report. It's always good to hear good things about the federal. I'll be taking mine to do some hog stomping in December. In the passt I've used anything from a 358 win to a 416 remy, but I'm interested to see how the federal will work.

I've only got a 16 in. barrel on my ruger, so I won't get the ballistics you have on your kimber. However, if I'm impressed enough w/the cal, I may doctor up the rifle and get a 20-22 inch barrel. Could be a great elk gun. If it can take down zebra effeciently, I know it's ample for anything in the states.

I too would like to know the range of the shot taken on the zebra. Thanks. thumb

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
The shot was taken at about 100 yards...

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote