New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8 Western
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FN/Winchester/Browning created a 3mm(.15) longer .270 wsm for use with 175gr bullets. This could be a 7*64 cartridge made 100 years later than the european model.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...rowning-6-8-western/

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Whooptedo

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just what we need... another “new” old cartridge.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 941 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually it is a shorter case, 2.020 instead of 2.100, which will allow a slightly longer bullet with the same oal. All I can see is a lot of confusion down the road. But this could mean some better bullets being made for the .270?
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2,5mm longer coal but 2mm shorter case. Yes the selection of heavy .270 bullets will be better. Now with the military 6.8mm NGSW program .270WSMish cartridges may be very similar to their cartridge. New bullets and new powders will be made if NATO change cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I wish they would have put the effort into the 270wsm. Reintroduce with faster twist if you want to jump on the bc band wagon.

I bet 90% of the hunters that buy into the long range shooting thing cannot hit their target outside of 400 yards. And with this current ammo scare people are not practicing or shooting as much as they should be (or would be normally). Just collecting ammo and stacking it in the closet

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 270 Nolser must have them spooked.

I see we continue to perpetuate the like that the 270 is a 6.8mm. The shame.

I see no need for bullets heavier than 160. I really only use 140 in .277 caliber.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Soooooo pretty much a 270 SAUM ?
With the max .935” bullet protrusion, I see a potential for a 2.4” version of an AI 6.8-9,3x62.
What about a 6.8 SPC rethroated with a fast twist barrel on a short action for subsonic?
I see a 270-284 on a 3.34” action being a new flavor of the month.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see a 270-284 on a 3.34” action being a new flavor of the month.

It might be something for Remington to kill 6,8 western, 270wsm, 7 saum, 270win, 6,5prc,264 winmag,27 nosler, 6,5-284N all at one time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short cases and long bullets mean one thing to me... deep seated bullets. Unless, of course you go with a long leade chamber.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 941 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
What about a 6.8 SPC rethroated with a fast twist barrel on a short action for subsonic?...

Bison Armory has been making a 1-7" twist barreled 6.8 SPC uppers for subsonic use for many years. Woodleigh makes a 200 grain bullet.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 170gr Berger EOL will benefit from this cartridge as will the 175gr Sierra and 165gr ABLR. I am in the process of building a fast twist 270WSM so I can take advantage of the heavy for caliber bullets. Built on a Tikka action I can load the rounds out long and take full advantage of the cartridge. Guys are getting 3000fps+ with the 170gr Berger. Should be a fun cartridge to play with. Since the ammo/component shortage 270WSM is plentiful.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw an ad for the western. One of the selling points..... short action, for faster reloading of shots. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to trying some of these heavier bullets in my 270 Wby. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say good on Winchester. They may regret the lack of engineering a better case down the road, but for now they are the only commercial fast twist .270. Despite what some folks that only hunt think, there is a use for long range bullets in all calibers. This ain't 1962 and everybody with a truck can't afford to go hunting in western states even if they could draw a tag. There are more people shooting long range matches and 3 gun than ever and it is going to be what helps hang on to the second amendment. You don't have to buy one, but if you want your grandkids to hunt you might re-think bashing the gun companies for innovating.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, Nosler did the fast twist first with the 27 Nosler.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’m guilty of the fascination of new cartridges. However, the newest might be my 7STW. I then think it’s more fun to hunt with a .300 H&H. In the end, my 7-08 does everything I need in Texas.

However, it was fun killing swine with a .375 before African plains game. Too much, but it needed to go.

Im just not into cartridges that do what has already been done.

The Lipshey’s in classic rounds interested me, but I don’t see the need to even further overlap. Cool shotguns reproduced (SxS) would get me excited, but CSMC prices will have to wait.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Ah, Nosler did the fast twist first with the 27 Nosler.

Indeed, I stand corrected. Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only issue is the firearms industry continues the lie of the 6.8mm.

The .277 caliber is a 7mm.

posted Hide Post
They missed the boat with the 284. Put the 284 in a long action with a 1-9 twist and high BC 180 grain bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As owner of a .300 H&H and a .270wea rifles I must confess the firearms industry has again nothing new(interesting)to offer.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that for those of us that have been around awhile many of the new cartridges are ho-hum. I was a speed freak in the beginning of my rifle interest. I still have the 240, 257, and 300 WBY at the top of my list. I also don't have a Kestrel, use a ballistic APP or shoot past 600 yards. I did love the 260 when it came out and still do. I really love the 6.5PRC even though it does nothing the 270 Win won't do for ME. For the more current shooter many of these recent cartridges accomplish...the very same thing in an easier to shoot, much more consistent package. I have killed deer and a black bear with the 6.5 'Needmore'. It has been at least as effective as anything else I have used on game that size and is very easy to shoot well. Is it the 260 with an 8 twist? Yes, And I shot my bear with a bullet that would not stabilize in my 260 Rem 700 Ti. The drive for new cartridges has also driven us to better rifles, much better bullets, better powders, better triggers, and the list goes on. We are in the shooting hay-day. Appreciate it for what it is and what it has brought.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The fun and games boys will love it or anything else thats new, the curmudgeons will scoff it off as just another sales gimmick to "upgrade" the 270 by perhaps a 100 fps more or less!

I personally have yet to find anything better than the 30-06 or 270, some as good is about the best you can do off the paper and in the field.. stir

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a new for me 1872 made Husqvarna rolling block in the new wizzbang 12*44r.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The 6.8 Western is like a beltless 6.5 Remington Magnum necked up to .277 caliber. Any differences are too subtle to matter.

Rifle and ammunition manufacturers, long ago, adopted a policy of introducing "new" cartridges to generate sales. It's amazing how many cartridges were introduced with great fanfare over the past couple of decades only to fade into history.

The strangest cartridge recently adopted by SAAMI is the 6.5 Weatherby Rebated Precision Magnum (6.5 WBY RPM). It's a 30-06 length, beltless magnum cartridge with a rebated rim of standard diameter, or 0.473". In actuality, all they did was reinvent the .264 Win Mag with a rebated, beltless case. Contrary to Weatherby hype performance of the 6.5 WBY RPM and .264 Win Mag are identical. The only advantage to the cartridge I can see is that it fits the smaller, 6-lug, Weatherby MK-V action and can be offered as a chambering in lightweight versions of their MK-V rifles. It's another new case of unique design, not based on any other case. That alone will probably doom it to the forget it pile.

The best thing to come out of all these new 6.5mm and 6.8mm cartridges is a renewed interest in the .264 Win Mag. The new cartridges will die away and leave Winchester's old workhorse in a better position than it's been since the 1990s.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is actually the beauty of the RPM, it is the 264WM on a standard bolt face, with an 8 twist. What that does for weight and build versatility and the fact that Weatherby won't let their fruit die on the vine (you can still get .224 and 375 weatherby factory ammo) will keep it around. I would guess they will have an expanded line-up on that case shortly, all with fast twist barrels.