Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
The accuracy is real-
Not optimistic at all in my rifle - 300Win SR30 HPPR

Hornady 200gr ELDX factory,or my hand loads, meet the promise.

As well as other HPPR's I have fired.

What kind of groups are you getting with it.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by South Pender:
quote:
https://www.heymusa.com/rifles/hppr.html

Accuracy Guarantee
Each HEYM HPPR is guaranteed to shoot five, successive shots
(no barrel cooling between shots)
into 20mm or less at 100 meters before leaving the factory.

(SR30 straight pull or SR21 turn bolt)

Yes, I've read that. It seems pretty optimistic to me, given the very light barrel contour I witnessed on the Heym SR30 I saw in .270 Win. It's hard to imagine 5 shots without barrel cooling going into 20 mm (.8")

Other rifle companies have similar guarantees; Sako, for example, talk about 5-shot groups under MOA. With all these accuracy guarantees, I have to wonder just how they operationalize accuracy. Do they shoot a bunch of groups in a tunnel, for example, perhaps continuing until they get one that meets the "guarantee"? I'd be shocked if they used the NRA standard of 5 consecutive 5-shot groups at 100 yard.

So I just ignore these guarantees. I'm a handloader, so expect to do some serious load development before discovering the rifle's true accuracy potential, and do so using the more stringent (and, in my opinion, proper) criterion.

Do you have access to a shooting tunnel like Saeed or a commercial one as like at shooters world in Orlando where you can do accuracy testing on rifles and your reload with zero weather interference ?

I work under a simple assumption most rifles are far more accurate than the person shooting them. If a rifle is accurate it should be accurate independent of the person shooting it.

Most manufactures test their rifle accuracy with a target scope. Majority of hunter or gun writers are using non target scopes.

If you want to know a particular rifle brand is accurate - best to look at meta / aggregate reports of accuracy instead of single often paid gun writers.

There is a Facebook group with 18k blaser members. You can scan thru and seek accuracy reports on multiple guns, barrels, shooters, countries, Ammo ect.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
with the factory ELDX 200's
i have shot as small as 3.5" @500
bedded on sandbags , concrete bench, minimal wind, temp in the 60's

with the EldX it has shot a couple of 5 shot groups under the 20mm size @100

remarkable rifle,
even makes an old shaky, fat ,out of shape guy look like a good shooter

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
the rifle at work

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
Yes, excellent point. Too often we hear of rifles that will shoot .50" groups "all day." When I read this, I imagine a shooter shooting a bunch of groups, and when his wiggles match the wobbles, he manages to get one .50 (or maybe .60" or so) group out of all the groups shot with the rifle and concludes he has a "1/2-inch rifle." This does not index that rifle's accuracy--far from it. The only meaningful accuracy criterion is something approaching what you have indicated, Mike, the average of 5 consecutive 5-shot groups shot at a sitting. the "consecutive" part of this is important so as to rule out cherry-picking groups, under the assumption that "I must have pulled a shot out in that larger group." An average over 10 consecutive groups would be even better. The NRA staff when accuracy-testing in the American Rifleman use the 5 consecutive 5-shot-group average in their rifle evaluations.

Frankly, it flies in the face of what we know about hunting-rifle barrel/action quality to expect any hunting-weight rifle to be a true .2" to .5" rifle, in the sense noted above. I would consider any hunting-weight sporting rifle that produced 1 MOA groups using the proper, stringent criterion described above to be an extremely accurate rifle.

We used to have an aluminium stock in Australia that has the same shape as a Rem 40 XB but was skeleton in the butt and forend. There were originally made because in the early days of bench rest it was the start of not just the PPC but the fully hollow fibreglass stock. Such a stock is why the "glue in" started. So the allow stock was made with a solid middle. Out of the mould they were basically set up for inletting a short or long Rem 700 but you have others and I have had among Remington one for a Model 70 and also a Mark V. all mine were done as repeaters.

Blair338RUM on AR will confirm all of this.

I have always had a very strong interest in getting top accuracy BUT with hunting calibres and loads and normal chambers don with JGS reamers. The Remingtons and M70 had Jewell triggers. One Rem 700 was a magnum bolt face action and the other 3 were 30/06 actions. All actions were faced off so barrels could be swapped between actions. 6mm/06 and 270 were two common chamberings. I would go to the trouble of getting different sets of dies as not all dies will give the same results even if the same brand.

One of the pluses of the skeleton forend was the rifle oould look good whether it had a number 5 barrel or an HV barrel. Our Number 5 was .72" at muzzle of 26", almost the same as Wby Accumark.

Most of the time I had "glue ins" onto Devcon bedding.

One day at the range, a range where we could reload in a shed or on the bench, a bloke came up to me who had a HB Sako 243. He asked me what the 6mm/06 I was using at that time with number 5 barrel would shoot. I said very close to half inch at 100 yards. He said his Sako would beat that and why did I go to so much trouble Smiler

So I said lets compare them but with a few conditions. First shot from a clean barrel. Then we wait an hour and then a shot from a cold hard fouling barrel. Then a shot loaded in new brass (for me that was necked 25/06 Winchester brass) then a shot from Full Sized fired brass and then a shot from a neck sized case. I can't remember his exact words but they were along the lines of "what you call 1/2 inch groups is very different to what I call 1/2" groups and your rifle shits all over mine.

I offered him one more comparison and he was getting quite keen. I said we fire a 5 shot group and then wait and hour and then another 5 shot group on same target (same aiming mark) and an our later another 5 shot group on same target.

I then said to him would like to shoot the gun yourself and they way you shoot normally. The loading gear was all set nd I said go for life. I went up to the other end of the range to talk to some bloke and about 15-20 minutes later he came up and said "you know I owned that rifle I would call it a one hole rifle".

By the way, with a HV PPC. to do .2 MOA of 5 groups at a 100 and 5 groups AT 200 you need a lot of skill. Need to be able to read the conditions and hopefully get the shots off when conditions are the same. I can't do it.

With the very accurate guns they do it all easy. Like cruising around in a big V8 manual. Barrels will usually have been selected. You need to be prepared to dump a barrel.

The 6mm/06 (and 270s) I referred to above you could mix a bunch of loads with lots of different bullet weights, different powders and a composite group of 15 shots would be under an inch.

Beretta682E said his Blasers will do .2 to .5. The ones that do .2 would run right the top in HV bench rest competition and win some LV competitions and probably win all Sporter class Bench rest competitions.

I am going to build a target blaser on a safari stock and 6.5 cm barrel.

I have been just to cheap to spend $2k on a target scope. I may need to bite the bullet and buy a nightforce. Been buying blaser scopes than are great but super expensive hunting scopes not target scopes.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
the rifle at work

Beautiful setup! What does the HPPR refer to?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 163 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
HEYM High-Performance Precision Rifle (HPPR)

Ralf Martini is your Heym dealer in Canada

https://martinigunmakers.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have multiple turnbolt rifles.
Bought a Blaser R8 for a trip to Namibia in 2016. I liked the idea of being able to break the rifle down and carry in a shorter case that was a little less "obvious". The fact that they return to zero perfectly after being stripped and then reassembled was attractive. Fired one shot on the range when I landed in Namibia. No adjustments required.
The Blaser action makes for a very compact package with my 25" barrelled .300WM being similar in overall length to my little Sako .222 with 22.5 inch barrel.
The Blaser performed exceptionally well allowing me to quickly add an "insurance shot" in a number of cases where a turnbolt would have been too slow. Earned its keep allowing me to get a couple of quick shots into a running 58" kudu that I doubt I'd have got with a different rifle. That performance also earned me an invitation from a PH to assist with a follow up on a couple of other animals wounded by other hunters.
The Blaser has proven to very accurate and not finicky in terms of what it will shoot well. One of the easiest rifles to develop loads for that I've ever owned. I expect my hunting loads to put 5 into under 3/4 inch at 100 yds and it does that easily with a number of projectiles and powders.
Had I bought the Blaser 5 years earlier I'd have multiple barrels to use on that one platform. As it is I am fond of all my other rifles so haven't sold any off yet.
The Blasers are quite different to use and it took me awhile to become accustomed to mine. I can imagine that many people pick them up in a shop or at a range, have a little play and walk away feeling underwhelmed. I owned mine when it arrived via courier so really had to put in the time needed to develop some muscle memory when using it. Now it is second nature.
My R8 professional success is not necessarily pretty but very well engineered and finished. It just works.
Nobody has ever copped an R8 bolt in the face BTW. The bolt lockup is more robust than the ealier R93.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
HEYM High-Performance Precision Rifle (HPPR)

Ralf Martini is your Heym dealer in Canada

https://martinigunmakers.com

Yes, I know of Ralf Martini. At one point he was in business with Martin Hagn, maker of what is probably the premier single-shot action in the world. Now he's running his own business. Both Hagn and Martini live in eastern British Columbia, so not too far from my home in Vancouver.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 163 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think all these silly, pointless designs are just an abomination!

I have tried the Blaser, The Heym and the Mauser 66 - which goes a step further in being stupidly designed that the whole top moves backwards!

I will stick to good old proven design, and leave these silly contraptions to people who would not what a real rifle looks like! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I have tried the Blaser, The Heym and the Mauser 66 - which goes a step further in being stupidly designed that the whole top moves backwards!

I will stick to good old proven design, and leave these silly contraptions to people who would not what a real rifle looks like! rotflmo

tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

tu2 tu2 tu2

The luddites and curmudgeons are having a emoji fest Cool

The blaser r8 platform is simply - spectacular!!!

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

tu2 tu2 tu2

The blaser r8 platform is simply - spectacular SHIT !!!

Mike

Fixed it for you!

Wink

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think, of the various straight-pull rifles, the Heym SR30 design perhaps strays the least from basic Mauser principles. The bolt locks up in the receiver ring and, once unlocked, works much like a standard bolt. It looks very much like the standard-design Heym SR21.

- Bertrand Russell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think, of the various straight-pull rifles, the Heym SR30 design perhaps strays the least from basic Mauser principles. The bolt locks up in the receiver ring and, once unlocked, works much like a standard bolt. It looks very much like the standard-design Heym SR21.

Saeed's rifles illustrate a problem with a rifle where locking lug recesses are in the barrel. Saeed has a pair 375/404 Jeffery Improveds. If he had a Blaser etc. how would he go, it would be a no go situation.

Basically I think the Blaser is top choice for the shooter who will get the rifle out of the box and want to go no further and not even having changes made in the future as an idea on his mind.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Saeed's rifles illustrate a problem with a rifle where locking lug recesses are in the barrel. Saeed has a pair 375/404 Jeffery Improveds. If he had a Blaser etc. how would he go, it would be a no go situation.

Basically I think the Blaser is top choice for the shooter who will get the rifle out of the box and want to go no further and not even having changes made in the future as an idea on his mind.

There is a guy who builds custom barrels in one off calibers for blaser r8.

The bolt head for magnum works from 300 win mag to 458 Lott.

A blaser barrel is one of the main reasons to buy a blaser tu2

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

tu2 tu2 tu2

The blaser r8 platform is simply - spectacular SHIT !!!

Mike

Fixed it for you!

Wink

https://www.urbandictionary.co...php?term=Cool%20Shit

Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

As I said, Saeed could have a Blaser. He has 404 case head.

Does the bloke doing custom Blasers use a barrel of your choice and your contour and twist choice.

Does he do wildcats like 450 Ackley, 7mm Mashburn, 270/300 Wby etc.

30/378 is out.

I realise none of the above will affect the average bloke but at the price the Blaser is not for the average bloke.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike

As I said, Saeed could have a Blaser. He has 404 case head.

Does the bloke doing custom Blasers use a barrel of your choice and your contour and twist choice.

Does he do wildcats like 450 Ackley, 7mm Mashburn, 270/300 Wby etc.

30/378 is out.

I realise none of the above will affect the average bloke but at the price the Blaser is not for the average bloke.

Think he does but getting non blaser barrels for blasers are not something I pay much attention to.

Blaser are a complete platform. Most custom stuff I see is guys building specialized bolt knobs that thread on.

As Biebs says there ain’t much messing around with perfection Wink

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A solid locking lug cannot be compared with a convoluted, stupidly designed chuck on a rifle's bolt.

Only brainless idiots design such things in engineering!

This sort of thing is called BLASERING.

It is like one is trying to invent a new wheel, making it square to be different!

It is the exact opposite of we know as BLAZING a new trail rotflmo

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Think he does but getting non blaser barrels for blasers are not something I pay much attention to.

Blaser are a complete platform. Most custom stuff I see is guys building specialized bolt knobs that thread on.

Mike

Putting locking lug recesses in a barrel would be big deal.

Also there is more about a custom gun than a bolt with a different bolt knob,

A "custom gun" is getting what you want which I could not do with a Blaser as a starting point.

"Blaser are a complete platform". You are correct but you are locked in.

I would say that shooters like Saeed, myself and many others are more demanding than you.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The difference between Blaser lovers and real riflemen and hunters is very simple.

When one of us wants a rifle, he goes to a well know manufacturer, and buys what he wants.

Or go to a custom gun maker and gets the rifle he is after made to his requirements.

Or, go the whole hop and design and build their own.

Blasers lovers are like teenage kids at a Bieber concert!

Screaming their heads off worshiping an utter idiot, or a useless product.

No bloody sense at all!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
The difference between Blaser lovers and real riflemen and hunters is very simple.

When one of us wants a rifle, he goes to a well know manufacturer, and buys what he wants.

Or go to a custom gun maker and gets the rifle he is after made to his requirements.

Or, go the whole hop and design and build their own.

Blasers lovers are like teenage kids at a Bieber concert! Screaming their heads off worshiping an utter idiot, or a useless product.

No bloody sense at all!

Exactly!

Fanbois

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, where's your hat? :-)

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

I haven't caught the exact moment my dog, wearing the hat, get's a turd half way out. If I can ever get that photo, I'll post it!

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I haven't caught the exact moment my dog, wearing the hat, get's a turd half way out. If I can ever get that photo, I'll post it!

Cool

Todd you need the read the blaser USA ceo interview in the magazine for shot show.

He says something like blaser is a aspiration product - buyers aspire to a blaser no one settles for a blaser.

I thought about you Big Grin

Funny thing is blaser has stopped doing the shot show - too tactical not high end hunting for blaser’s consumer base Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
The Blaser R8 is certainly an interesting rifle and appears to be the most popular of the newer straight-pull designs. I've had trouble warming up to it, though, largely because of aesthetics. It departs so far from the usual look of a bolt-action rifle, what with, among other things, the whole top of the action retracting along with the bolt--slightly reminiscent of the older Mauser 66 mentioned earlier by Saeed. The barrel-swapping feature doesn't do anything for me either as I'm not restricted to owning just a few rifles the way it seems to be in Europe. Still, owners seem to be thrilled with the rifle.

I think portraying the Blaser as an "aspiration product" is just good advertising bumf. Who wouldn't want something that they can aspire to, rather than just settle for? Smiler

- Bertrand Russell

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cool

Todd you need the read the blaser USA ceo interview in the magazine for shot show.

He says something like blaser is a aspiration product - buyers aspire to a blaser no one settles for a blaser.

Funny thing is blaser has stopped doing the shot show - too tactical not high end hunting for blaser’s consumer base Big Grin

Mike

Is that part of the same propaganda where he says the company wants you to think the other shooters at the range consider you "SMART" for owning a such a TURD?

Here's a hint ... they don't!

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cool

Mike

Is that part of the same propaganda where he says the company wants you to think the other shooters at the range consider you "SMART" for owning a such a TURD?

clap

Hate it all you want - it is the future of rifles Big Grin

At least high end rifles otherwise it is ruger American dancing

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cool

Mike

clap

Mike

I suppose there will always be a segment of society that think the Kardashians are important.

Serious minded folks don't.

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cool

Mike

clap

Mike

I suppose there will always be a segment of society that think the Kardashians are important.

Serious minded folks don't.

clap

Blaser haters are also Tesla haters - ludites of the world unite dancing

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't see the Blaser and turn bolt as competitors.

A long term very good mate of mine who posts on AR as Blair 338RUM, I first met him in the later 1980s at the range and he had Heym and some other Euro stuff. He then saw what a properly set up rifle would do and that changed things in his gun world.

However, Blair is a bloke who is very Euro minded (he goes to Paris every year) and different times has toyed with the idea of Blasers. What has always stopped him like a brick wall is the Blaser simply can't do what he wants. In fact if you gave him some Blasers they would sit in the safe unused. Of course what he has won't do what a Blaser can do.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
buyers aspire to a blaser no one settles for a blaser.

Oh bloody hell!

You mean they are so damn brainless they actually ASPIRE to owning a totally useless product?

The mind boggles! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Heym gets a lot of traction in Europe by claiming that it cost 200 Euros (or some small figure) to build a R8, and they sell for 3200-4500 for most of the Professionals, Ultimates and planer wood guns. The reason for Blaser's price has to do with a gigantic marketing campaign. You should see their booth (they have half the firearms floor) at Jagd and Hunde. There are probably 30-40 people working the booth during the convention at a time. Very few are actual Blaser employees, most are just temps they gave a class too. They hire a lot of very attractive booth babes (though they are dressed very professionally, unlike Shot Show) to help move traffic through the booths.

I personally really like the Steel Action Rifle and Heym SR30. If I was living in Europe right now, I'd buy a Steel Action or SR30 and be done with it.

It has been 12 years since they launched the R8. They killed off the R93 after 15 years, but some bolts through the face expedited that transition. R8's are all on sale again, maybe they are getting ready to launch a R20 or R21.
https://www.frankonia.de/search.html?query=blaser+r8

This abomination is about the only current production ratchet gun I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I can't tell you what a giant piece of shit it is.
https://www.frankonia.de/p/mer...?navCategoryId=62205

This is the Steel Action rifle:
https://www.steel-action.de/produkte/

This is my favorite Heym if I was buying one today. https://heym-fabrik.de/?product=sr-30-carbon-carbon

Or this one:https://heym-fabrik.de/?product=sr-30-precision-repetierer

I actually prefer 3 lug 700 platform clones like this one from American Rifle Company. I call it a platform clone, as it fits in recievers inletted for the 700, takes 700 triggers, and has a Savage thread pattern. I have one in 300 Winchester, and it is the best rifle I have ever owned.

https://www.americanrifle.com/...olt-action-gen2-1062

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
buyers aspire to a blaser no one settles for a blaser.

Oh bloody hell!

You mean they are so damn brainless they actually ASPIRE to owning a totally useless product?

The mind boggles! rotflmo

That's the point of my banter with Mike Saeed. He's bought into the company cool aid 100%. The Blaser CEO has said the company wants to create an image where "shooters at the range will think the guy who reaches for the Blaser in the gun rack is Smart for owning their gun".

The entire fanboi following around Blaser is just like those who "Aspire" to be like the Kardashians. It's an IMAGE thing. Being trendy. Like Tesla, which is good for the golf course and not much more, but it sure has made Elon rich, sponging off the taxpayers. Like the preposterous 50+ genders with pronouns like Zir / Hir, and whatever else nonsense.

Pure fantasy. And the serious minded folks are laughing their asses off at them.

animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the serious minded folks are laughing their asses off at them.

An example of the serious-minded folks Todd is referring to:

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Jon, is that you? Or is it Mike? Hard to tell you Blaser fanbois apart.

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, must be Mike. Here's me, standing in front of your new trophy building.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
We know that's a fake Bieber. Harry preferred a M70 African. Harry didn't dabble with Blasers.

Ain't no Beta Male genes in Clint's DNA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha, I remember that movie. He wants a sniper rifle to pick off the Zodiac guy, so he picks a Win 458 with open sights. So much for Hollywood's acumen in firearms.