Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM and Barnes manual
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
Does anyone know what the dimensional specs are on the 300 WSM case? The only manual I have that has loading data in it for this cartridge is the latest Barnes manual. The head diameter is wrong and I suspect the length is also wrong by about 0.1". Now I'm wondering if it's powder weight data is also wrong and possibly unsafe. Anyone spoken with Barnes?
Good Hunting,

------------------
Andy Cooper

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC,

See if you an get your hands on the 2000 JAN issue of Shooting Times.

Rim = .535
COL = 2.10
Shoulder angle = 35�
Case dia @ beginning of body = .550
Case dia @ beginning of shoulder = .540
Min COL w/projectile = 2.560
Max COL w/projectile = 2.860

I did a custom 338 WSM.

Sweet little cartridge. I did mine on a FL Magnum Receiver (Rem 700). I can seat bullets out as far as I would like.

Get the 2000 JAN Shooting Times. Lots of good stuff on the 7mm & 270 WSMs.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Did you see those velocities for the 30/06 and the 180 gr XLC bullet = 2965 fps!

Barnes is a miracle?

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. Maybe the blue color on the XLC bullets is symbolic for the "blue sky" Barnes has in some of their velocities!
Good Hunting,

------------------
Andy Cooper

[This message has been edited by ACRecurve (edited 03-18-2002).]

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
I am NOT TRUSTING that Barnes manual, it is way out in left field, if you ask me about that book. Unsafe is a better word for that Barnes manual.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes made a few errors in the manual, but they have admitted to it, and corrected them (see their website for corrections).

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Ken,

I think that site is the corrections!!!!!

"BOOM"

one of us
posted Hide Post
DonMartin29....I also saw that on their site and find it hard to believe...I'm very suspicious of Barnes and their data. There was a very large difference in quite a few of the cartridges between their 1st and 2nd book plus it has been my experience that the BarnesX maxes out on velocity well before other bullets do...the 2965 fps per secnod just is not believable (+all the others over 2900 fps) for a 30/06.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More velocity sells more bullets?

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Well that bullet is moly? coated but I agree that uncoated X bullets will not equal the velocity that regular bullets reach with the same pressure.\

Even the ballistic coeficients seem out of line. The are better than a Sierra Matchking!