New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger recall of African 9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was just notified of this recall. If you have one of these please check with your dealer. Mine is going back tomorrow. Ruger will pay the expenses. Cheers. Luke

Posts: 354 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any word why?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
!#@!! I would like to hear more! I am almost through the left wing required waiting period to pu mine.

This kinda sucks!

Posts: 23 | Location: left coast usa | Registered: 08 April 2017Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I called Ruger and there is NO RECALL.

Ruger has not heard of any recall.

posted Hide Post
Thank You!

Posts: 23 | Location: left coast usa | Registered: 08 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Customer service told me that some rifles may have been assemblers with a part that's not to Ruger’s specifications.

How’s that for an ambiguous answer.

Call or email Ruger customer service and give them your serial number. They will send you an RMA and a shipping label.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Got mine back today.

Ruger rep told me they replaced the sear and firing pin spring.

Hopefully I’ll get to shoot it tomorrow.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Well that's more info that they would give me. I have my box, need to pack it and have them come get it. Just could not get motivated this week.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My LGS called me and told me that Ruger had contacted them to tell any customers (me) to call Ruger and gave me a gal’s name and number to call. I talked to her and she said UPS would pick up my rifles the following day. They did, and attached a pre-paid address label to my two boxes. I asked the lady how long it would take and she said ‘two days after they receive it, they would be mailed back to me’. Haven’t received them back yet.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine was sent back early last week. Called my LGS yesterday to see if it was back, not yet.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
What about Lipseys Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3x 62? Thanks

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is due back this Monday. Asked customer service why no announcement, she said that due to the small number of guns (I guess the 250), no need to announce

Posts: 352 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
What about Lipseys Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3x 62? Thanks

That is the one that has the recall.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve505:
Mine is due back this Monday. Asked customer service why no announcement, she said that due to the small number of guns (I guess the 250), no need to announce

Wow... Talk about a liability lawsuit! To know you have shipped a defective product and not do anything about it. Hard to believe....

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow... Talk about a liability lawsuit! To know you have shipped a defective product and not do anything about it. Hard to believe....

They are contacting the purchasers...

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:

Ok, thanks.
They are contacting the purchasers...

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
They called me to send mine back a couple of weeks ago. Emailed me a FedEx label and all I had to do was drop it off. Got it back today and the invoice says "updated sear and firing pin spring". Took 10 days from me dropping it off to getting it returned.

L

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell Id rather they sent me the part and let me fix it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
They called me to send mine back a couple of weeks ago. Emailed me a FedEx label and all I had to do was drop it off. Got it back today and the invoice says "updated sear and firing pin spring". Took 10 days from me dropping it off to getting it returned.

L

SFRanger7GP,

Thanks for the information! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got mine back yesterday. Same info. Dear and firing pin spring.

Posts: 354 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, I bought a nice Mod 77 African in 9.3x62 and it gave very light (NF) FP strikes on several factory load makes. I had to time nor inclination to mess with it and sold it to finance an upcoming hunt. I took an old faithful 35 Whelen AI instead. I really liked the way the 9.3 looked and felt, it was a sweet rifle. I don't like the looks of the brake son the new ones.I was looking for another one when I found another Mod 700 Classic in .338WM. I'm happy. But the African is a great looking rifle, nonetheless.

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Knight:
Several years ago, I bought a nice Mod 77 African in 9.3x62 and it gave very light (NF) FP strikes on several factory load makes. I had to time nor inclination to mess with it and sold it to finance an upcoming hunt. I took an old faithful 35 Whelen AI instead. I really liked the way the 9.3 looked and felt, it was a sweet rifle. I don't like the looks of the brake son the new ones.I was looking for another one when I found another Mod 700 Classic in .338WM. I'm happy. But the African is a great looking rifle, nonetheless.

I’m with you Jim. I do not like the looks of the muzzle brake, nor the noise.

Of course, these new Lipsey’s African models do not have a brake, in 275 Rigby, 6.5x55, and 9.3x62. Plus, they have blue bolts and black fore end tips. Nice touches.

posted Hide Post
At this point, I may be announcing wither extreme stupidity or extreme optimism (many times the same thing). I had exactly the same experience with the first 9.3 African as Jim. It would not reliably light a primer on four different factory loads. It went back to Ruger three times with no repair effected. My hunt was completed with a 35 Whelen (not AI). You can imagine what is going through my head with this "un-recall". I really liked the African handling...much lighter than my 375HnH.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Has anyone fired their 9.3 African? Fired mine today and was quite pleased. 3 shots around an inch with Prvi ammo.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Just guessing here

But I do know there are two distinct 9.3x62's

It seems the one you guys in America push is a 9.3x62 based on the 30-06 case, this is NOT a true Mauser version, pretty sure Winchester sell this ammo and you might notice on the box it does NOT say 9.3x62 Mauser it only says 9.3x62mm.

A chamber cut for this round wont feed a genuine 9.3x62 Mauser case very well, it will be tight and as I said..... I'm guessing...…. the Rugers were chambered for the US version and not the European Version

I could be wrong but that's my two cents worth

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had two of the earlier Rugers and a Zastava. I didn't fire the Zastava, but did shoot both Rugers. I used Norma, Privi, S&B, and Hornady. All worked and fed fine. I did try a few reloads with LC Match 06 cases. They showed a ring ahead of the base, with starting loads, so I discontinued that. I dont have any of those cases that i can measure, as i sold them with the brass and ammo. I have since seen the error of my ways and now have another of the earlier Rugers, but no ammo yet. From those experiences, i suspect the Rugers that i had, were for the larger case head, but could be wrong

Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my two rifles back from Ruger today. They seem to be fine, but they seemed fine when I mailed them Off as well.

Haven’t shot them yet. Just came in the mail an hour ago.

posted Hide Post
My first model 9.3 African was one of the models with very problematic ignition; very light primer strikes (Privi, Hornady, Norma and one other factory brands that escapes me now). FP protrusion was good at .053". I ultimately tried a wolf speed spring (23#/in, stock is supposedly 21#/in). This new African has bolt lift that mimics the speed spring feel. The new model seems livelier in handling despite the longer barrel. I like the feel of the new model. It has a screw in the fore end where a swivel might be placed. I assume that is its purpose as I don't expect a second recoil lug.

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Star7:
My first model 9.3 African was one of the models with very problematic ignition; very light primer strikes (Privi, Hornady, Norma and one other factory brands that escapes me now). FP protrusion was good at .053". I ultimately tried a wolf speed spring (23#/in, stock is supposedly 21#/in). This new African has bolt lift that mimics the speed spring feel. The new model seems livelier in handling despite the longer barrel. I like the feel of the new model. It has a screw in the fore end where a swivel might be placed. I assume that is its purpose as I don't expect a second recoil lug.

Mine needed a Wolff spring as well.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally took my new Ruger African 9.3x62 to the range yesterday as I was shooting my 458 Lott and 375 H&H getting ready for my Lion hunt with Andrew. The 9.3 shot exactly to point of aim with the open sights. I’m really happy with that discovery. Now to scope it. I’m thinking probably my favorite, Leupold 2.5-8.