THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Does your Tikka T3 SS lite group with more than 1 weight bullet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does your Tikka T3 SS lite group with more than 1 weight bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted
I'm really having a problem with my Tikka T3 Lite in 270 WSM. It almost wants to shoot sometimes, I just haven't figured out when. I'm trying factory Fedral 130 grain bullets at the moment. It has shot anywhere from 2 inches to one clover leaf group. The free floating is fine the action screws are tight I changed the mounts to Talley light weight one piece mounts and the scope is a 2.5 to 10 B&L 4200 Elite. The factory Winchester Supreme with the 140 Accubonds shoots anywhere from 1.5 inches to three inches. It almost smells of a bad scope but I was just wondering if anyone else has had these kind of results. The T3's have such a good reputation that I'm having a bit of a problem believing this is happening. Just curious.
Take care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
great shooting!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
amazing huh?
i feel like that about my steyrs.
how can someone spend thousands upon thousands on , say, a cooper rifle with a swarovski then brag about one hole groups when my 7x64 steyr with a $165 simmons shoots the same groups?
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/743105637

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I bought on to the Tikka hype early this year and picked up two, a 338 Federal and a 300WM. It was a challenge getting the 338 to finally shoot MOA as it started by shooting 2.5-3"+ groups. Thought I may have just bought a dud and bought another in 300WM due to their reputation, it will not do moa as of yet either.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and honestly feel they'll both be MOA rifles when I find their pet loads. To date, they will not hang with any of the 700s in my safe

If I had it to do over, I'd have stuck with 700s.

Good Luck,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've also got one in 300 win mag. Best shooting gun in my safe and not fussy about heat, freshly cleaned/fouled barrels....you name it. I know it was luck but I carry a 5 shot .9"/300yd group in my wallet for bragging rights.
I'm sure there are guns that come off the line that aren't perfect but, in general the odds are that you will get a good shooter based on how happy people seem to be with them.
For what it's worth...do you have any 150 grain hornady spire points sitting around. They seem to shoot good in many 270 calibers I've worked with. I have a friend that's shot a pile of big elk and carribou with that same bullet out of his 270 wby mag.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
My T3 in 300win. is a shooter, it does not like a very clean barrel though, it takes 3 fouling shots then it settles down it also heats up quickly, after 4 shots it is not as tight as with 3. I have only shot 180gr bullets in mine, Accubond and TSX, it shoots both equally. I'm using RE22 powder. I have a Ruger that shoots as good or better but it is almost 12 lbs vs. 6lbs 15oz.with the T3, it is the rifle I will use for the next 2 months deer, antelope and elk hunting. Just out of curiosity, check the barrel channel in the stock, I looked at mine and there was some possible pressure points that I cleaned up with sand paper.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
I can run a piece of computer paper down the barrel channel so the free float is OK. I've read all the glowing reports on the T3 that's what has me so puzzled as to the groupings I'm getting. With handloads I've tried Hornady 130 SP's, 130 TSX 140 TSX, 140 Accubonds and 150 Swift A-Frames. For powders I've tried RL 22, Rotumbo and H 4831 SC in all bullet powder combinations. If something look promising I loaded it to 1/2 grain less up to 1/2 grain over and tried the grouping again without results. Lets just call it a frustrating gun.
Dave

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
If you can, take the rings off the base with the scope still in the rings.

Make absolutely certain that base fits right (no gaps under it) and every screw is tight. Then you can put the scope back on. A loose screw in the base can cause exactly what you are describing.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm a bit off base, but how're you resting the forend? If I recall correctly, the forend on the synthetics are about as stiff as a licorice whip, but that is four or five years ago when I was looking.

My .270 Win absolutely loves the Federal 150 partitions, so I've not tried another type of ammo.

Might also be they're using the same barrels for .270 Win and WSM and the barrels just like running slower, so maybe try backing down to Winchester load levels?

That's all I have for ideas.

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
The rings that I have are Talley light weight one piece mounts. It did the same thing with the Leupold mounts that it came with.
Take care,
Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last spring, I purchased a T3 SS Lite in the .270 WSM. It was fitted with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 on the "cheap" looking factory rings. I was amazed as to its accuracy with both factory and reloads. It didn't seem to really matter the bullet weights or load. It just shot so well!!!! Shot so WELL it became BORING!!!!
THEN.......I decided to "look under the hood", taking everything apart just to see what she looked like on the inside.
Put everything back together and went to the range.......
I WAS HORRIFIED at the groups.....3 to 4 inches at best!!!! Ever see a grown man cry!!!!
Even with some expert examination and careful reassembly, the calamity couldn't be determined.
After giving 'er up for dead.....started messing around with the tension of the action/stock screws.
After a lot of tension combinations all by "feel" (no torque devise), found that just "snug equally. no more/no less on both front and rear screws. brought back the original accuracy. And maintains that accuracy.
It could be that Tikka has a specification as to torque for these screws. It would be nice to know if thats the case.
I just got lucky. I hope the same for you.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470 Mbogo:
The rings that I have are Talley light weight one piece mounts. It did the same thing with the Leupold mounts that it came with.
Take care,
Dave

Sorry my comment didn't help. I'd try a different scope before monkeying with the rifle.

ldkier makes an interesting point.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 30-06 shoots amazingly accurate with FLs and HLs.

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Idkier
I was hoping something along this line would present itself. I printed this info off to take to the gun shop tomorrow.
Thanks again
Dave