New
Find
Notify
Tools

673 Guide Gun in 350 Rem Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also the 225grs Nosler Part. is quite long for the 673, so I failed down the lead-tip - it looks now like a protected point (or MagTip) and I saved 2mm!
Good success with the Part. on european red deers!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palladin8:
I have also noticed that Nosler does not recommend or have information for their Accubond for the .350Rem Mag. I thought it would be due to the length of the bullet and the required seating depth. Then I look at the Barnes bullets which are typically longer than their counter parts of the same weight and they do have listings even for the 225gr bullet. So my question is how long are the Barnes bullets both 200gr and 225gr? And how long is the 225gr Accubond? If I am lucky enough to draw an elk tag this year this is going to be my hunting rig and I am wanting to explore all my loading options. I have no doubt that the Sierra will do the job and I have used them in the past on elk out of my .25-06 and .300WM, but I always like to try different things and the Nosler Accubond or Barnes TSX or new TTSX might be tried if they will work out of my little Model Seven.

My Barnes manual says the 225 grain should only be loaded as a singe shot.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, my M673 prefers heavier bullets, in particular the 250 gr. Nosler Partition. With 58 gr. W748, it reliably prints 3 in about an inch @ 100 yd, and I have little doubt that if I had a little more magnification (it's matched with a VX-III 1.5-5) to refine my hold a bit, it would group a hair tighter.

I've tried Barnes 200 and 225 (the former not particularly accurate, the latter too long), Speer 180 FN (trying for a reduced whitetail load) and 250 SP (unimpressive groups), Hornady 250 RN (got hundreds of them cheap; good-enough for practice loads) and 225 Partitions (with 4320, the second-best performer), but nothing does shoots as tightly or as consistently as the 250 NP.

The rifle itself fits me perfectly, and I'm planning to take it to Namibia about a year from now. Just finished reading Taylor's African Rifles and Cartridges, and the .350 Rem isn't too different from the old .350 Rigby magnum (225 @ 2600 fps), and Taylor had a decent opinion of that cartridge. The only thing that concerns me is that I understand that the W748 is heat-sensitive, and I'd rather not have to worry about that on the trip. Next thing that I'm going to try is AA2520, which I've been told works well with the 250s and might be a little more temperature-tolerant.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya what mounts are you using for your scope? I found that not only is it difficult to find anything .350 RM related, finding scope bases are equally difficult. I have narrowed my scope selection down to either the Burris 2-7 and Leupold 2.5-8. I have both sets of rings and bases on rifles and I really like them both. I haven't had found anything other than the one piece scope base which I would prefer to avoid.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just tried the first load with the 200grs TSX and 59grs N 135! The first load with my 673, which shoots really good!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.350 Rem.Mag...what a great cartridge...especially when you combine it with a short rifle...

Currently have three. Started off about 1990 with a 700 Classic. Shot that for many years with a Nosler 225 Petition/60 grains 748/2660 fps.

About 2003 lucked into a mint 600 and eventually sold off the Classic. This would run the 225s at 2530 from the 18.5" barrel.

Then came a customized Ruger 77MKII that some young man in Alaska had made up. He had the barrel shortened to 18.25" and a set of NECG open sights put on. He put it on GunBroker for less than wholesale for just the rifle and I was the only bidder. This one gets shot with just 250s for now as I had accumulated a few over the years off of gun store "used" tables. It usually is used on the 4-wheeler or on rainy days...

Last year a friend found my dream gun...a Model Seven KS. It was like new and had a BuyNow of $800.00...

Several years ago when the 673 first came out a friend who had shot my 600 bought one for stand hunting bear in Maine. He has dropped three bear with three shots. He likes the lighter 660/.308 for his still hunting gun and hopes one day to find a 600 or a 660 in .350 to replace it...

Reloads wise, the bullet my friend ended up using was the Speer 220 FP. He had originally planned to use my Nosler 225 load but for some reason we had a neck tensioning problem with the 225s the day we needed to load and they would push into the case with pressure on the bullet tip. After three Bang-Flops he figures why shoot a $1.00 bullet when a 30 cent one does the job... Two of the shots were pass throughs...one on a large bore was hit from above and behind. Went through the shoulder, lungs, heart and got caught under the skin of the chest...

Perfect mushroom and no core separation...flat tip leaves plenty of room for powder. Same charge as the 225 Pet...60 grains of 748.

For a small game load I'm using a Hornady 160 XTP or a Silhouette at 1600 fps...will have to go look up the load... Have shot several grouse with the load with limited damage.

I only wish I had bought a 600 back in the 1960s when I bought my first big game rifle.. I was shooting .357 Magnum back then and could have done a lot of cheap practice...

Lots of good bullet information and loading data on the .350....and other .35s...

http://35cal.com/35bullet_study/35bullet_study1.html

This has some good stuff also...

http://www.marlinowners.com/fo...i3rj1n3&topic=7180.0

To solve the problem of crimping bullets into place...send a test round to Lee Precision. They will make you one of their Factory Crimp Dies for $29.00. Works excellent and has had no effect on accuracy.

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifles RJM and nice looking bear. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you and U R welcome...

The guides call that a Cinnamon face...it was an older sow close to 200 pounds. I think my friend had killed 7 or 8 bear and that was his last.

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
RJM,

I can't see what all the fuss was over the looks of the Model 600 / 660. They are one hell of a nice looking rifle!

But then, I guess hunters are not so conservative in their tastes these days, including this one here!

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote