THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    280 Rem v 280AI - long term ammo availability
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

280 Rem v 280AI - long term ammo availability
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Using another logic, the 7mm08 with 130 gr bullets gives very similar results to a 270 Win. Far less recoil too! Same with 125 gr Nosler partition in a 6.5X55.

For 99.5% of hunters and hunting situations, there is no practical difference among those calibers. Yes the 308 / 30'06 will hit a bit harder on bigger animals particularly with 180 to 220 gr bullets. The 6.5X55 with 160 gr RN penetrates a lot better. Also the 175 gr 7mm bullet is legendary in the 7X57.

The biggest factors IMHO are (1) The construction of the bullet that kills the animals & (2) the person who pulls the trigger and places the bullet in the right place. All other discussions, debates, arguments, analysis, data, statistics etc. are mostly noise.

Mic - A regular / consistent load of 3000 fps with 150gr in a 270 Win is high risk IMHO. I expect the pressure levels to be 65000 psi or more.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
My Sako Finbear L61R in 280 AI with 24 inch barrel shoots 160 gr Accubonds very accurately - VV N560 produces 3050 fps with Nosler Book loads.

I have never heard of a 270 Win come anywhere near that.

I have had 3000 f/s 150 grainers in the 270.

If all else is equal one would expect a 280 AI to be faster with same weight bullets as bigger bore diameter and bigger case capacity. A 270 of the same case capacity as the 280 AI and again all else is equal would be slightly faster with bullets of equal sectional density.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote