THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    .358 Bullet In A .338 Ruger Compact Mag Case

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.358 Bullet In A .338 Ruger Compact Mag Case
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New Here, Hi To All.
Please name some specific controlled feed bolt actions that would be very good choices to handle such a cartridge. Thanks.

StalkerJack

Posts: 49 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 20 January 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the ruger company would be a place to start.

Posts: 4955 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77 in 350 rem mag

Posts: 1044 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for contributing! wave

StalkerJack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a Winchester Model 70 Classic that was a WSM as a donor. You get controlled action feed, mag bolt face, and no trouble feeding as they feed a WSM w/o issue (or mine did). If you can find a 325 WSM, the easiest way to get what you want is have the barrel rebored from .323" to .358". There will be enough steel at the muzzle to allow the rebore.

As an aside, the difference between a 338 RCM and a 350 Rem Mag is one grain difference to the 350 Rem Mag i.e. Rem Mag is a tiny bit bigger If it were me, I would do a 350 WSM aka 35 Sambar. I would also specify a 1:12" twist barrel and *not* go with a 1:14" or even worse a 1:16".

However if you want a controlled feed 358 Ruger the Win 70 Classic is a decent way to do it.

Posts: 319 | Location: SW Idaho, USA | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for your detailed and well presented ideas, (quoted below)! They're very helpful! wave
quote:
Originally posted by webfeet:
Use a Winchester Model 70 Classic that was a WSM as a donor. You get controlled action feed, mag bolt face, and no trouble feeding as they feed a WSM w/o issue (or mine did). If you can find a 325 WSM, the easiest way to get what you want is have the barrel rebored from .323" to .358". There will be enough steel at the muzzle to allow the rebore.

As an aside, the difference between a 338 RCM and a 350 Rem Mag is one grain difference to the 350 Rem Mag i.e. Rem Mag is a tiny bit bigger If it were me, I would do a 350 WSM aka 35 Sambar. I would also specify a 1:12" twist barrel and *not* go with a 1:14" or even worse a 1:16".

However if you want a controlled feed 358 Ruger the Win 70 Classic is a decent way to do it.

StalkerJack

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think perhaps your over looking two easier to produce calibers, the 358 Norma Magnum, that you could load down or at full force is worth some thought or the 35 Whelan or its Ackle Imp version..and the .338 win mag and 338-06 std or IMP. would cover that caliber the same..

It seems your very close to reinventing an expensive wheel as both could be a simple rechambering for instance..

Just food for thought, and my mind set that the day of the wildcatter has pretty well come and gone. It was well covered by my generation.... wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ray,

I think a big part of my motivation is that I want to learn the process
of seeing a wildcat come into being, and further, I am curiously drawn
to the .358 caliber rifle bullet! Of course the RCMs are beltless, and
that means headspacing on the shoulder, and so on! Smiler

StalkerJack

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jack, I can empathise with you, I have been playing with wildcats for over 35 years, + damn it, just when I think that I have found the neatest thing since sliced bread, I look in my P.O. Ackley's books + lo + behold he did it long before me. But that's no reason to not keep on trying.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You all here offer good, constructive and encouraging ideas! No doubt about it!

StalkerJack

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive done a few wildcats over the last many years, my favorite being to use the 9.3x62 as a parent case both as is and IMP..MY favorite being the 9.5x62 (375 x62), gave me the magic 2500 fps with a 300 gr. bullet..same specs as my 375 H&H and Ruger loads..kind to bullets and penetrates real well..

I would think the 358x62 would be a dandy round..a super 35 Whelan..The best reason for wildcatting is as you say..fun and games..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built 4 358 WSM’s last fall for the new IA deer regulations and they worked quite well. Reworked 325WSM dies for the 358 bullet and neck diameter and was pretty straightforward using 325WSM parent brass. One pass sizing and loaded with CFE 223 powder. 180’s at 3050, 200’s in the 2950’s and 225gr AB’s ran 2840 with a moderate load.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Thank you for your repeated input. I am learning plenty from you and the rest of the contributors!

MATT SALM,
Do you know if you'd be able to fit another round into the magazines of the rifle's that that you built
into .358 WSMs, if you had chosen to use the smaller diameter .338 RCM as your starting point?

StalkerJack

one of us
posted Hide Post
That I don’t know, the ones on the M70 SA with WSM box allow for 3.050” OAL and 3 down. I can check, I believe I have a box of 300RCM someone gave me.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes that can be done with a drop box to contain any number of rounds you might want, and a single round can be addes with a cut out floor plate, as usual some lengthening or whatever may be required..Todays smiths can accomplish abouta anything if you got the funds, keep in mind that wildcatting is a costly habit!! faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Yes... keep in mind that wildcatting is a costly habit!! faint

I SURE DO BELIEVE THAT !!!

StalkerJack

one of us
posted Hide Post
In your case a light 338 Win would be ideal, lost of components dies bullets powder primers available even in this day and time. I did this many years ago and its been my African combo to a big bore, but used on Buffalo, Hippo, an elephant and many PG animals for years, never found anything better, the 9.3x62 is another favorite, but a distant second IMO..You can find both ammo in about any country..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120