THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    The Most Popular Cartridge In Custom Rifles?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Most Popular Cartridge In Custom Rifles?
 Login/Join

<Don Martin29>
posted
What is todays most popular custom rifle cartidge? About ten years ago it was the .280 Remington. I wonder what it is today?

Also for a custom rifle what cartridge would you choose?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
...for a custom rifle what cartridge would you choose?

you know, the answer to that question shouldn't be a s disturbingly difficult to come up with as it is...Let's just say for any number of custom jobs, that i'll never in my life be able to afford, and sticking soley to medium bore rounds, it's still too many to count

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my gunsmith says it's .270, that could vary depending on your location.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
On a custom rifle, I would think that something different....not your average. Most people I have talked to like the 30-06, 270 or 7mm mag. I don't know to many perhaps 3 people that have a custom gun for hunting.
How about a custom .308 .......I have no idea!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just guess that in any given year it would be whatever that years hot-rock cartridge is.(7mmSTW, 300 Ultramag or the current crop of runt cartridges)

Year in and year out I bet it's probably something dull and boring like 270 or 30-06.

Wildcats can't get too popular or some manufacturer will adopt 'em. Then the mainstream gun buyers will buy them off the rack rather than pay a premium for a custom.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Last I heard, it was the .280 Rem., or the metric equivalent 7X64mm. But the 7X57mm was also in the top ten.

posted Hide Post
The two custom gunsmiths that I use tell each tell me different calibers. The one says it's 300 Win. magnum and the other says he builds more 270s.
Most folks laying out some big bucks for custom rifles seem to stick with tried and proven calibers and not the latest & greatest hotrocks.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
In my shop #1 22-243 Middlested, #2 22-250AI, #3 257DGR #4 17 Rem.
out of the last 100 barrels I have chambered 66 were 22 caliber centerfire of some sort. I see a lot of varmint shooters.

<allen day>
posted
It depends on which gunsmith you're talking about.

One gunsmith I know of probably turns out more rifles for a certain wildcat cartridge of his own creation than anything else. Makers who are tinkerers, and more of an experimental, theoretical bent often times build a lot of rifles for wildcat calibers, and they attract clients who embrace the same philosophy

Riflemakers who are from the traditional, "Classic" school tend to build a lot of .257 Roberts, 7X57, .300 H&H, and .416 Rigby rifles.

Craftsmen who are out to build high-performance hunting rifles, yet who are conservative by nature tend to build quite a few .300 Winchester, .300 Weatherby, 7mm Remington, .338 Winchester, and .416 Remington rifles.

It seems like gunmakers from the last two groups also share the same commonality in that they create a great many rifles in .270 Win., .30-06, and .375 H&H

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
The smith I visit here in central Minnesota says the calibers he builds the most are 6.5/.284 or.338-06. He says he usually tries to talk people out of building rifles in common calibers and buying commercial since they can save money, although he's more than willing to build them one.

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
This gunsmith claims that people will SAVE MONEY by investing in some off-beat wildcat caliber instead of standard commercial cartridges? Am I reading correctly? How the bloody hell does THAT work???????

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, I believe he was saying that if the customer wanted a common caliber, the 'smith would try to convince him to just buy off the shelf. That's how the customer would save money. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote