New
Find
Notify
Tools

FMJ Bullets Harmful??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pile of .308 non-corrosive ball ammo and was wondering if these rounds would negatively affect my barrel any more than any other round would.

Thanks

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much mis information has been spread about military FMJ bullets being harmful to rifle barrel because during both World Wars most if not all countries used copper clad steel jacketed bullets.

In "Hatcher's Notebook" he dispells the notion these bullets are "harder" on a barrel then a copper jacketed bullet. The steel they used for bullet jackets was actually softer than copper. The reason for the copper clad was simply to prevent rust! Steel was used due to the critical shortage of copper. Some shooting ranges don't like surplus ammo with bullets that attract a magnet simply for the reason they may start brush fires when the bullets strike rocks, causing sparks.

As for your .308 FMJ go shoot it but don't expect much better than 2" groups. Good luck.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your feedback. I've got the ammo and would just like to plink...now...I will!

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hnts4fun:
I have a pile of .308 non-corrosive ball ammo and was wondering if these rounds would negatively affect my barrel any more than any other round would.

Thanks

No, those bullets will NOT adversely affect your bore. But in the Army, we used to think that tracers would! I don't know if that's even true!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
But in the Army, we used to think that tracers would! I don't know if that's even true!

I have had people tell me that the tracers will burn out the barrel

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote