Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Accurate Rifle Take 2 :-(
 Login/Join

posted
It is getting close to that time of year when we get to have a little time away from home hunting our favorite game animal. In my family we have various rifle and sometimes some good hearted ribbing over each others rifle choose. Also I may have missed a few here, but this should cover most. Also this is for out of the box factory rifles. I have a modified Model 70 that will shoot dimes @ 100 yards all day when I do my part.

Also sorry for the reset. Please vote again. I promise no more editing.

Question:
In your opinion what sporting rifle brand is the most accurate out of the box? I am not including Steyr because they are selling 50bmg to Iran that are then sent into Iraq to kill our troops.

Choices:
Browning
Howa
Mosberg
NEF/H&R
Remington
Ruger
Sako
Savage
Sigarms
Thompson Center
Weatherby
Winchester
CZ
Tikka
FN Mauser
Other

Question:
What brand is your most accurate sporting rifle?

Choices:
Browning
Howa
Mosberg
NEF/H&R
Remington
Ruger
Sako
Savage
Sigarms
Thompson Center
Weatherby
Winchester
CZ
Tikka
FN Mauser
Other

Question:
What brand rifle have you owned that was the most inaccurate?

Choices:
Browning
Howa
Mosberg
NEF/H&R
Remington
Ruger
Sako
Savage
Sigarms
Thompson Center
Weatherby
Winchester
CZ
Tikka
FN Mauser
Other

Posts: 15 | Location: Blue Springs, Mo. | Registered: 05 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that was a smart move not including Steyr Mannlicher in your survey.

that way everyone else has a chance.

heres a couple of quotes...
To very briefly summarize that review, the Classic Mannlicher Carbine passed the shooting test with flying colors, recording the best groups ever fired with iron sights during a Guns and Shooting Online review.
Chuck Hawks

Normally I'd never publish the results, but since there were witnesses, I'll state that the 300-yard spread was 1-1/4 inches and the 500-yard group was 1-1/2.
Steyr-Mannlicher's popular sniper-competition piece may well be the most accurate .30 caliber production rifle in the world.
Barrett Tillman

the best group fired from the Steyr Scout so far. It was fired on 1998-12-26 by Sue Hildebrandt using the bipod and the prone position. She reports that the rifle was simply removed from the box, the bore wiped with a dry patch, and then fired using the factory sight settings. The group measures .27" for 3 shots and was 2" above the aim point--
FR Frog

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Also clever to leave out Mausers. My most accurate rifle is a 6mm/284 built on an FN Mauser action, Douglas Premium Grade barrel.

CZ's shoot pretty well also! M527, 7.62X39mm.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see you left out the CZ line of rifles. My CZ's are the most accurate rifles out of the box I have ever had the pleasure to own.

CZ 550 American 9.3x62 at 100 yards

CZ 527 221 fireball at 100 yards.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
im not going to vote till you add cz, steyr and tikka.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the CZ's. I have four of them, and they be accurate, and very nice rifles.
Never shot a Steyr, so can't cmt on them. But, a good buddy of mine up here has a Tikka in 22-250. He showed me his target with the last three groups he shot with it and I was blown away. All three groups were less than 1/4" at 100 yards. Hornady 55 grain V-Max's and 4895 powder.

Don

One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
I agree with some of the other posters, the CZ should have been included and would be right at the top in accuracy.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
My guess for accurate factory rifles would be Styer, Sauer and Blaser in no particular order, followed by Sako, Tikka and CZ.

I don't really like Blasers, but their triggers are out of this world, and are almost always very accurate.

Never owned an american rifle.

My Steyr and Sauer are both genuine 0.5" rifles in standard sporter weight.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
still not gonna add steyr to the list huh?
you got a bias or something?

posted Hide Post
I am not including Steyr because they are selling 50bmg to Iran that are then sent into Iraq to kill our troops. Sorry

Posts: 15 | Location: Blue Springs, Mo. | Registered: 05 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Blaser, CZ and Steyr rifles have all been incredibly accurate for me. More accurate than any others I have used, that's for sure.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by driead:
I am not including Steyr because they are selling 50bmg to Iran that are then sent into Iraq to kill our troops. Sorry

rotflmo
that loud pop you hear will be your head coming out of your ass. you should do your research.
rotflmo

posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
These two groupa are made with a SAKO TRG-42 in cal .338 Lapua Magnum (8.6x70)

Range is 200 Meters NOT 100!!!!!! Using hunting bullets NOT match.

Best group is Wsift A-Frames but Nosler was daren good to Wink

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Austrian weapons found with terrorists
US forces contradict newspaper report: “No Austrian weapons found with terrorists.â€

By Alexander U. Mathé

Vienna. Having started as Steyrgate now ends up as a soap bubble. An English newspaper had reported in February that armour piercing sniper rifles made by the Austrian company Steyr Mannlicher were found in the hands of Iraqi terrorists. But now the US Central Command, being responsible for the forces at the golf, is contrary with that article. “No Austrian weapons have been found in Iraq,†declared Lieutenant Scott Miller on Thursday under discussion with the “Wiener Zeitungâ€. “There have been relevant rumours but these rumours have not been confirmed.†Further details have not been announced yet.

Austria also taken off the pillory

Steyr-owner Franz Holzschuh was highly delighted for having been taken off the pillory but he is not going to further observe the affair. “Let sleeping dogs lie. I am glad that dust has settled on the case,†says Holzschuh. However, he reacted visibly relieved due to the clarification of the case that had discredited Steyr Mannlicher as well as the Austrian Government.

The “Daily Telegraph†had reported in February that more than 100 sniper rifles model HS50 had been found in Bagdad in the course of a raid by the US troops. The rifles derived supposedly from a shipment to the Iranian security forces in 2005 that had been approved by the Austrian government. Unfortunately, the editor of the relevant article was not reachable for a statement.

The case was politically relevant as England and the USA had vehemently criticized the business with Iran. Both considered that the rifles could end up in the hands of terrorists in Iraq.

The newspaper report seemed to confirm this apprehension and affirm the embargo imposed by the USA against Steyr Mannlicher. The embargo shall, by the way, expire at the end of this year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparantly the reports of the Steyr HS-50's being found in Iraq are incorrect. Here is a link to the article where one of ours refutes the story:

http://www.wienerzeitung.at/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3...Alias=wzo&cob=277367

Obviously there are contrasting reports on both sides. I tend to discount some british tabloids and sites that have a Teddy-Bear in front of a computer in their header........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would edit my poll question, but it resets everyone's vote.
I am very glad to hear that Steyr wasn't selling arms to Iran. I am making a point to boycott any company that does business with our enemies. yankees

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JefferyDenmark what load are you using for accuracy with hunting bullets?
And just curiosity when di you get your riffle, was it bought in Dk?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Steyr.

And either you are asking a question ( "poll" ) or want to hear ANYTHING. If you simply ask a question, don´t mess it with politics or any other foreign "matter".

Its MOST INTERESTING, that the ( generally more expensive ) European guns get more votes. I have an accurate Winnie 70, but it took a lot of work. Either Steyrs or CZ´s shoot MUCH more accurate out of the box.

Just my .02, take your own guess, H

P.S.: IF the story would be true: would you think, the Terrorists would chose deliberately a bad weapon??? War cost´s money, I hope we someday learn, WHO financed them!

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 very accurate Rem 700 BDLs... but... they were both glass bedded and "accurized†by Kerry Oday (MGA)… so is it Remington or MGA… by the looks of the poll it’s MGA… I guess I’m not surprised…

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montes:
JefferyDenmark what load are you using for accuracy with hunting bullets?
And just curiosity when di you get your riffle, was it bought in Dk?

The rifle was bought in Denmark in Guns and gents back in 2001. I sold it some years back!
Ammo was loaded by Jens Christian Kjær, this was before I started to load my own ammo.
I think powdser was N560 about 92 grn of it brass was Lapua and primer was CCI 250.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steyr, Sauer, Blaser should be on the list as out of the box super accurate rifles.

posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I don’t see much use to this survive, Pick a gun you like and learn to shoot it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted other because you didn't list Sauer. My Sauer 202s are fantastic shooters.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most acurate brand of rifles I have owned wereCZ 550s A full stock in 7X57 and an american in .243.
I sold both beacuse the .243 was way to heavy, and the 7X57 just never got use.
The most acuate individual sporting rifle I have ever owned is my model 70 classic 7mm STW.
I adjusted the trigger and removed a little wood from th barrel channel.
It has put 3 160 grain acubonds , into .166 at 100 yards. It is more likly to put them into about .25 to .50.
Velocity of 3200.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I voted other because you didn't list Sauer. My Sauer 202s are fantastic shooters.
Indeed, they are. Listing Steyr nor Sauer ...

Posts: 75 | Location: Antwerp, Flanders | Registered: 13 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I am not including Steyr because they are selling 50bmg to Iran that are then sent into Iraq to kill our troops. Sorry[/QUOTE]

My Steyr has been my best out of the box rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by driead:
I would edit my poll question, but it resets everyone's vote.
I am very glad to hear that Steyr wasn't selling arms to Iran. I am making a point to boycott any company that does business with our enemies. yankees

How do you feel about Toyota?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steyr! Very accurate and a good trigger.

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not only accurate but fast and slick.
last year i hit a buck at a little more than 100 yards , in thick woods, broadside. 4th rib in 5-6 rib coming out.
he turned and ran away at a quarter. second shot hit behind his left side rib cage and our at his 3rd rib. 3rd shot hit the left side of his neck while his head was going down and came out just on the off side of the slpine.

last saturday i hit a buck at 250 or so. first hit was standing broadside and went in on the crease and out at low and in front of the offside shoulder. he turned and ran towards me at a quarter. second shot hit the base of the neck and traversed the entire length coming to rest under the offside hip socket.
i also took a doe that evening with a single shot that went up her right nostril and came to rest beneath the skin on the back of the head.
these were all with a 20" steyr 308. i have killed 3 deer running 4 head shots and 2 at more than 250 yards with this little carbine.
i see little use to buy anything "more accurate" as it does what i ask.

i need to add that i shoot this rifle all through the year as well and am very familiar with its abilities. off the bench its a .5"-1" shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd vote for Cooper but I can't. They are all superbly accurate right out of the box.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a few that are fairly accurate.The 260 is a 7 shot group

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The MOST ACCURATE rifles out of the box, and consistently so, are the Cooper Arms offerings. With proper technique, one hole groups @100 yds are the norm

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote