THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Penetration Test In The 300 Winchester Magnum

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penetration Test In The 300 Winchester Magnum
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I am using the same materials as I did with the 375 H&H Magnum.

Difference is this one is much higher velocities.

It would seem these higher velocities are having rather drastic effects on these bullets.

Only one I have managed to recover is the Barnes X.

Even the Nosler Partition has fallen to pieces.

For fun, I tried the Speer 100 grain PLINKER.

I was not able to recover any of it.

All three billets fired completely disintegrated, leaving nothing behind.

I will shoot whatever bullets I have.

Another interesting fact was different make of bullets, same weight, with the same powder and charge, gave quite a difference in velocity.

Rifle used is a Steyer SSG with a 28 inch barrel.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66683 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting Saeed! I do not have the experience that you have hunting with the 300WM. but I did make one successful trip to Namibia and used it on a fairly large Kudu and Zebra.
Now, have you yet tried, or do you plan on testing any of the GS Custom bullets? I love those and would certainly be interested in your test results.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put the same bullets in a 30-'06 and retest under the same conditions. I believe that you'll find much better penetration and terminal performance.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your results are not surprising, velocity is a bullets biggest enemy..Ive had pretty good luck with the Nosler partitions and recently the Acccubond 200 gr. bullets, but actually had better results with the same bullets in my 30-06s as far as bullet performance, but that said Ive had more instant and spectacular kills with my 300 H&H and 300 Win mag.. Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Difference is this one is much higher velocities.

It would seem these higher velocities are having rather drastic effects on these bullets.

Alec, I think that that is exactly what Saeed is saying!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

My results actually confirms what one would expect from shooting into destructive media.

Our test was designed to see how the very tough mono metal bullets behave, I knew normal soft points are not going to do very well in this test, but frankly did not expect them to fall apart so badly.

After several tests from the past, nothing has changed.

Mono metal bullets are the best available for us.

Followed by solid shank bullets like the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Jensen bullets.

Then come the partitions like the Swift and Noslers.

The rest are left far behind.

But, this from a test media point of view.

I would not use any soft point bullet for hunting if I had a choice.

My choice would be based on what I have mentioned above.

But, I have tried using jacketted bullets on hunts, and they have killed every animal I have fired at, with one shot.

I think I took that to extremes, as I used 180 Sierra Match Kings in my 30/404 at 3480 fps.

Several animals - reedbuck, nyala etc, the bullets never came out.

In fact, we could notfind any parts of them.

They had disintegrated completely, but killed the animals in their tracks.

A zebra dropped stone dead after being hit on teh shoulder.

The bullet never made it into the chest cavity, but created an enormous cavity on his shoulder about a foot wide.

I did not try these bullets on the larger animals like eland, as most are shot at relatively long range - 400-500 yards.

On these I used the Jensen bullets, and again, they performed very well.

One eland was shot close to 500 yards.

Two shots, within six inches of each other on the shoulder.

One went cleanly out, and the other was recovered under the skin on the other side.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66683 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive found the same thing, exploding bullets kill instantly most of the time, note I say most of the time, but sooner or later you will lose an animal is all but assured...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Your bullet trap eats bullets !
Monometals.
No contest.
I got your latest photos on WhatsApp.

A highlight, three shots each, and average retained weight for each of the monometal, copper, hollow points:

GSC 160-gr HV (boat tail): 61%

Barnes 150-gr "X"BT (boat tail): 77%

Barnes 165-gr "X" (flat base): 78%

Barnes 180-gr "X"BT (boat tail): 73%

The velocities required to produce that degree of demolition would be interesting,
as well as what depth of penetration.
Thanks in advance if you get time.
popcorn

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Those Barnes are very consistent across the weight ranges. Its not a surprise, but it is impressive performance.

Posts: 421 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Seems like going lighter than 180g in a 300 Win Mag on anything bigger than mule deer is not advisable.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The bullets that explode will kill, but I would not use them on heavy game. That is because they do not penetrate deeply enough on such animals.

I am very surprised, Saeed, that your zebra dropped dead from a bullet that failed to penetrate. Even with a foot-wide, shallow crater on its shoulder.

I‘d bet dollars to donuts that at least one small bullet or bone fragment must have reached a vital region and done the fatal damage.

A few years ago, I shot a pronghorn antelope in the neck at a range of 285 yards. I used a 140 grain, 0.277 caliber Berger VLD Hunting bullet, which I had handloaded to a muzzle velocity of 3,100 fps in my .270 WSM.

I did not recover the bullet, and doubt that there was anything left to recover. Pronghorns are very lightly built animals, perfect for hunting with Berger-bulleted ammunition. This one stood no chance.

The bullet’s expansion was so sudden and violent that it nearly blew the antelope’s head off. He dropped dead instantly, without so much as taking a step.

I use stronger bullets for game heavier than pronghorns or deer.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Jensen J26 in a 340 Wea (225 gr) + 30 yrs ago. I had no idea they were still in business.
I noted about 10 yrs after I acquired the bullets that the plastic tips had dissolved, crumbled almost to dust.
They were the prelude to the Swift polymer tip and the Accubond.

EZ

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

My results actually confirms what one would expect from shooting into destructive media.

Our test was designed to see how the very tough mono metal bullets behave, I knew normal soft points are not going to do very well in this test, but frankly did not expect them to fall apart so badly.

After several tests from the past, nothing has changed.

Mono metal bullets are the best available for us.

Followed by solid shank bullets like the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Jensen bullets.

Then come the partitions like the Swift and Noslers.

The rest are left far behind.

But, this from a test media point of view.

I would not use any soft point bullet for hunting if I had a choice.

My choice would be based on what I have mentioned above.

But, I have tried using jacketted bullets on hunts, and they have killed every animal I have fired at, with one shot.

I think I took that to extremes, as I used 180 Sierra Match Kings in my 30/404 at 3480 fps.

Several animals - reedbuck, nyala etc, the bullets never came out.

In fact, we could notfind any parts of them.

They had disintegrated completely, but killed the animals in their tracks.

A zebra dropped stone dead after being hit on teh shoulder.

The bullet never made it into the chest cavity, but created an enormous cavity on his shoulder about a foot wide.

I did not try these bullets on the larger animals like eland, as most are shot at relatively long range - 400-500 yards.

On these I used the Jensen bullets, and again, they performed very well.

One eland was shot close to 500 yards.

Two shots, within six inches of each other on the shoulder.

One went cleanly out, and the other was recovered under the skin on the other side.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a lot of failures with Barnes in the beginning, but apparantly they got it fixed today..

Ive used 200 and 220 gr. Nosler partitions in my 30-06 and 300 H&H at around 2600 to 2900 fps with excellent results, on Eland, even one buffalo, and watched a couple young ladies put about four Cape buffalo down with about the same results as my 375 or 9.3x62...I suspect it you pushed these bullet much beyond my velocities they might come apart??? Had great luck with Woodleighs also. Used the 180 partition for years in the 30-06 and 300 H&H and loaded the H&H pretty got, but not what Saeed would get out of his wildcat 30s..the 300 WBY has been around for ions killing everything on this earth, and still one of the most popular calibers out there, must be OK, again I never used it much, but what little I did and what I observed it worked great.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120