THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Ross 1905 .303 best loading data

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ross 1905 .303 best loading data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curious if anybody loads for this, what your favorite load is with 180 gr bullets. Looks like there's a lot of powders that work equally well. unfortunately i only have 4 of them on hand (BLc-2, CFE-223, 4064 and H4895), and right now the odds of finding any others on a shelf are pretty slim.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello. On all these rifles with iron sights I have always matched the velocity of any handload to the factory velocity of the factory ammunition that the rifle would originally have used.

I can't give an answer for three of those powders but did find that H4895 did not work well with the .303 British.

It being impossible to get factory velocity of 2,450 fps with a 180 grain bullet within safe pressure limits.

Oh...one last thing...the old Speer round nose soft point drops like a half brick after 100 yards. Use a correct shape spitzer bullet.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the 4 powders you have listed I would suggest 4064 will give you the best results.

Posts: 2433 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willmckee:
Just curious if anybody loads for this, what your favorite load is with 180 gr bullets. Looks like there's a lot of powders that work equally well. unfortunately i only have 4 of them on hand (BLc-2, CFE-223, 4064 and H4895), and right now the odds of finding any others on a shelf are pretty slim.

Roger

Have you reloaded any brass fired in this rifle yet, Roger? I'm curious to know if you're having any chamber issues.