New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Scope Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I appreciate suggestions on the Leoupold VariX 3 scope. The best was just get a new scope.

I never shoot the 270 but it as the 7mag and before the scope crash the 7mm-08 all shot .5 to .8 inches.

After talking I have decided to leave the old VarX 3 on the old 270 and just buy a Cheaper scope that will fit the Cheap Nikon basic scope rings that came with the Savage 7mm-08.
What is a good scope for under 250$ 3-9 that will fit the Nikon rings?
Why not just shoot the 270? I do not know the Savage stock feels better after I reworked and reinforced it. You can put three shots touching but the difference in under 3/4 of an inch is not much among the rifles.

For cheaper good shells try Hornaday Whitetail ammo.

(lead tip flat base) by Hornaday all shoot under an inch or less in 5 different rifles and as a bonus shoots well with the old hand loads that I used to reload. Nosler BT's BC is great so over about 350 yards the Noslers a little better but I love the lead tip for better holes and blood trails shooting out and finding the game.

The only problem that I have with the rifle is one feeders sits in a cactus and mesquite thicket with other thorn brushes and the gate post makes a great stand up bench with a small bag. Used to shoot them in the head at about 210 yards or so but after a flat in the dark dragging a big boar off the darn guns tends to shoot back about mid hog for some reason this is only on this feeder that the guns shoots back but the good news is that I have not had any more flats or have to open the gate and drive back to the feeder to drag a big hog off either. Wink

I appreciate the help. The 7mm-08 is a fun ranch truck type rifle. Think the rifle was 450$ in the hunter version and not one of the cheap Axis rifles. I am not interested in putting out more money for the scope that the rifle since I have the old Chet Brown stocks with Rem 700 actions and the Leopold scopes if I need serious.

Be Safe. Thanks,
JimD

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Contact Doug at www.Cameralandny.com I'm sure he'll be able to fix you up.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is a good scope for under 250$ 3-9 that will fit the Nikon rings?

Leupold Freedom 3-9X is typically sold around $219. Or find a used Leupold Vari-XII, VX-I, or VX-II for a little less. I've never come across a bad used Leupold. Give Rodger at info@sakosource.com a shout because he usually has a nice stock of used Leupolds that he takes off of the Sakos he buys & sells.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a couple of Sig/Sauer Whiskeys at Optic Planets 3x9x40. Really good sight picture and clarity for a really good price. I’d check them out with Optic Planet.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just $50.00 more and get a new Leopold VX3I 3.5 X 10 X 40 for $299.00. Think Cabelas still has that sale going on.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
midway was still running it yesterday but I think they were a bit more than 299.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Think I will get the Leopold Freedom 3x9 Everyone has it for 199 plus tax a little more than the Nikon better scope but my old VarX III's have never failed.

Thanks for the advice.Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it aint broke don't fix it. If broke Leupold will fix it. So get a leupold, if not, still get a Leupold.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote