THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    375 H&H:Queen of the medium bores, or King of all bores?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H:Queen of the medium bores, or King of all bores?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
[QUOTE]LHeym500
posted 23 April 2021 06:05 quote:

A proper bolt action is like Elizabeth Taylor!

A Blaser is like Catylin Jenner!

Joshua,
Fair enough if you don't like Blasers but the analogy to Caitlyn Jenner is beyond harsh. Blasers are possibly a little alien in conventional rifle terms, and I own two or three, but who the hell can figure out or explain where Caitlyn Jenner fits into the grand scheme of things. Just an abominable being Confused if you ask me.[/QUOTE

They are both engineering contraptions which are visually unpleasing.

In all honesty, I do not judge. Shoot what you want. Folks can go to bed with whoever they want (consenting adults of course). A little chin music all in good fun.

In my house all rifles are female and shotguns are male.

One word!

Both are QUEER rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The great Jack Lott tested the 9.3x64mm Brenneke, it would pip the 375 H&H, by a hair's whisker between the 2. Both will do the job with equal aplomb. But then again if you want to have what everyone else has then feel free & get a .375!

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 29 June 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surefire,
Yes sir you nailed it, Im just a common gun whore, fickled to the brim and apt to change with the wind,but I will take my 06 with me, and my 375 ruger, and my, well you know what I mean, he who is without guilt cast the first stone! jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well we all have out favourites among the many that we own. I still love the M/S 6.5X54, + the 7X57, but I have a lifelong fondness for the 375 H+H.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 93x64mm:
The great Jack Lott tested the 9.3x64mm Brenneke, it would pip the 375 H&H, by a hair's whisker between the 2. Both will do the job with equal aplomb. But then again if you want to have what everyone else has then feel free & get a .375!

Tested them how?

Did the 9.3x64 kill anything when it was not hit? rotflmo

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, if I had to hunt with one rifle, and I often do just that, it would be a control feed bolt rifle chambered for the old tried and true 375 H&H chambered, fitted with both iron sights, and a scope in quick detach mounts to give me instant ability to use the iron sights, with my hand loads with 300 gr soft and solids. It is common for some of your ammo to get lost in transit and not make it to camp. In that case, the easiest ammo to find in just about any country where big game is hunted .is the old 375 H&H cartridge.
Others can do as it suits, and Saeed will certainly not get to camp without HIS hand made ammo for his "HOT" 375 wildcat cartridge.
But if he does loose his ammo someone in camp will have a good bolt action rifle chambered for the 375 H&H that he could use in a pinch. I certainly would have no doubt he could shoot the old 375 H&H for what ever he wanted to shoot.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,There are worse chamberings than the 375 H&H and some better. But it will fill the bill in any country where big game is hunted.
One rifle for the world "375 H&h" oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Gentlemen, if I had to hunt with one rifle, and I often do just that, it would be a control feed bolt rifle chambered for the old tried and true 375 H&H chambered, fitted with both iron sights, and a scope in quick detach mounts to give me instant ability to use the iron sights, with my hand loads with 300 gr soft and solids. It is common for some of your ammo to get lost in transit and not make it to camp. In that case, the easiest ammo to find in just about any country where big game is hunted .is the old 375 H&H cartridge.
Others can do as it suits, and Saeed will certainly not get to camp without HIS hand made ammo for his "HOT" 375 wildcat cartridge.
But if he does loose his ammo someone in camp will have a good bolt action rifle chambered for the 375 H&H that he could use in a pinch. I certainly would have no doubt he could shoot the old 375 H&H for what ever he wanted to shoot.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,There are worse chamberings than the 375 H&H and some better. But it will fill the bill in any country where big game is hunted.

in all your air travels how many times they lost your own ammo?

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger is the best of the 375s and is one of my favorite rifles, Mine is a special rare Ruger made only in 2003 or 2008 and very collectable it appears that they are bringing $2000 and up on GI.. now that does not mean that I wouldn't trade it for a pre 64 Win in .375 H&H.. jumping

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

in all your air travels how many times they lost your own ammo?

I've never lost any ammo, but have lost rifles on two times, and had to use a camp rifle for the first two days of the hunt. Then my rifle showed up at the airport on town, and was brought to camp from Mfuwe Zambia, by the safari personal in town. It was a 375H&H bolt rifle, and I had the ammo already.
This happened because we got into Zambia three days too late because of a plane going out of service making me four days late in the middle of transit.
I retired from 30 years working for American Airlines, so I know something about things getting lost in multiple plane changes in route.

If it hasn't happened to you, stand by, it will, sooner or later.

................................ old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I think it should be promoted from king to queen. Along with the .358 Win, the .375 H&H has been my pet cartridge since I was in grade school - just because it was cool looking.

Nostalgia created by 100+ years of experience efficiently taking game in ever corner of the world.
I would happily carry the venerable 375 Ouch & Ouch as my only rifle for game of every size.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Can someone point to real world differences on game between the H&H and the 9.3x62? Does anyone have enough experience to do so? Moreover, had the Allies not destroyed the Mauserwerke factory in WW II, would the H&H have taken over the general purpose mantle from the x62?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Can someone point to real world differences on game between the H&H and the 9.3x62? Does anyone have enough experience to do so? Moreover, had the Allies not destroyed the Mauserwerke factory in WW II, would the H&H have taken over the general purpose mantle from the x62?

Depends if you are right hand or left hand.

The 375H&H kills better when used by right hand people.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:

Having used both the 375H&H and the 9.3x62 on numerous big bears over the past 40 years I can not say I could tell any difference .

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Where do you begin to see the jump in performance in terms of caliber in its effect on game? In other words, I see the x62/H&H comparison as like say a 7x57 with 160 compared with a 30 06 with 180s. Probably tough to see much difference. From the x62/H&H when shooting big game do you see a bit difference when you get to the 416 class?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Everyone is typically impressed by the size difference when they first compare a 243 to a 30-06, or a 270 to a 300 magnum, or 30-06 to a 375. But Using comparable bullets and similar shot placement the difference on game is usually not as dramatic as the size difference would indicate.

It's only the bullets that do the killing and the difference between the 9.3 (.366") vrs the .375 is only the depth of the rifling (.08) and the velocity with bullets of equal sectional density is appx equal, and the bullet weights only 15 grains different.

One typically needs to bump up significantly in caliber and/or bullet weight and velocity in order to really see much difference.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Right so in your experience does that begin to show itself when one gets to the 416 or 458 class or other? For example, I can certainly tell the difference when I have shot deer with a 7mm/30 cal class versus when I have shot them with my 9.3. The 9.3 is decidedly a hammer on deer.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have taken Alaskan big game with everything from the 17 Remington to the 505 Gibbs.

Sometimes high velocity appears to make a difference and other times they shrug it off.

Sometimes bigger,heavier round nosed bullets seem to hit harder but some times it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference unless you make a large move up in power.

But the factors You can always count on are Bullet placement, performance and penetration!

On our largest bears I have tried everything from the 30-06 to the various 9.3's, 375's, 416's, 458's the 50 calibers and the more I used them the more I came to appreciate the standard 458. It's not the biggest nor most powerful but, like the 45acp handgun, it just works well for its intended purpose.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot buffalo with everything from the 30-06 to the 505 Gibbs, and found for instance that a 30 caliber hole in the brain is as effective as a 50 caliber..A 375 or 30-06 in the heart have a simulair effect. The differnce is in the short rows, when its life or death, then the 458s and such begin to show their stuff a little better, but surprisingly enough, with well placed shots the difference seems not so much...One thing Im sure of and that is a hunter who tends to frighten, the lesser caliber might work best for him, Too much Adrenaline makes for bad shooting, and those that worry before they leave the US might give that some thought..

I always like my 404 best, an mostly used the 404, 416 Rem, and 375 H&H, and my double was a 450-400, they all worked just fine if I did my part and if I didn't none of them worked all that great. I shot a few buffalo with the .338 Win or its balistic twins, and one with the 30-06 and I was aware I needed to place the shot perfectly and the awareness I took for granite with the big bores, I guess..they all kill if used properly..

All that said, if I were forced to one gun for life world wide, Id take the 30-06, its not the best choice on the big end but I,ll do if it has too..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120