New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expert on Blaser's needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who on AR is an expert on Blaser's? I shot one recently and was seriously impressed.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask Beibs.

Posts: 11944 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks. will do....

How did he get to be a Blaser expert????

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
In 1997, I acquired my 1st Blaser R93, a .222 Rem UIT (heavy fluted Lothar Walther bbl.):

... and have since bought a .300 Win Mag :

... and a Mag-Na-Ported 9,3x62 :

So far, over 3000 shots have been fired between the 3 of them without a problem.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the brain transplant line starts on the left

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre Mertens,

Or any one else with actual experience. Hope I am not hijacking this post, I also own a Blaser R8 with 3 barrels (7mm-08, 30-06, 9.3x62). I have been so impressed with this rifle, I no longer own another bolt action (sold them all, along with other guns to pay for this system). My question, since you Mag-Na-Ported the 9.3x62, can you guestimate the percentage of noise increase, recoil reduction, and velocity loss if any. I have always been curious about the Mag-Na-Port process. I only have experience with a muzzle break on the end of a 338 wm, and I will never do that again. Talk about loud, I would sooner get kicked in the head if I had a choice. I do use hearing protection while practicing, not hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lk, welcome to AR. Glad to have another Blaser owner to help me fight off the "great unwashed". You may already know, but Blaser makes a Kick-Stop that fits into the buttstock of your Blaser. The extra pound or so will help mitigate recoil.

Magnaporting is generally used more to reduce muzzle jump that to reduce recoil.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnaporting is generally used more to reduce muzzle jump that to reduce recoil.

This and just how much the noise increases interest me the most, the recoil is not a problem, just curious.
All I need now is a 223 barrel and maybe a custom 416 Ruger barrel made by Elmer Latitala and I'll be a happy camper/hunter. Yes I did try the coolaid as they say, and crossed over to the dark side. Ha!Ha! I forgot to add, I still love lever actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rats, i know someone with a 416 Rem Mag safari barrel for $900, but it's for an R93. Great deal.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I can't say I feel a difference in recoil with my R93 in 9,3x62 (as compared to my Mauser in the same caliber). I don't notice a significant reduction in noise, but wel more blast, judging from the dust lifting when shooting prone in an underground range. What is remarkable is the straight in line recoil, allowing fast repeating shots (this is really appreciable during drive hunting where running shots are the rule). Thanks to that, I've managed quite a number of "doublés" on wild boars. In terms of fast shooting it's a very close second to my double rifle in 9,3x74R. Actually, it has become my "foul weather rifle" when I don't like to expose my fine double to the elements. Roll Eyes

BTW, I still own a Blaser Kick Stop that I used in my .300 Win Mag R93. Its weight dampens recoil all right but I disliked the balance shift putting weight towards the rear. The KS has been taken out of the stock and rests in the safe since.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I like the idea of faster follow up shots, and being able to see the bullet actually hit an animal would be nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Blaser R8 in 270. It took some real thought but the portability made me decide to try it. I also have a couple questions that don't seem covered in the manual.
1. Do you have to cock the rifle to chamber the first round? If so, I think I prefer a 3 position type safety.
2. Do all rounds have to be loaded through the magazine or can you hand feed the rounds one at a time like a traditional push feed?
I think I'm having buyer's remorse already.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin375
posted Hide Post
I've been using Blaser rifles since 2005. I love those rifles and especially with synthetic stocks. I have never had a problem with them and my hunting fellow too.

My two R93 are accurate and I shot really quickly with them. Sometimes, my neighbours think that I'm using a semi-automatic rifle Red Faceops:

The professional camo is chambered in the .300 Winchester magnum and topped with a Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50 SR BT. I put a Vektor Maskin in the front to fit a bipod (Versapod or also Harris) and also a Hausken Suppressor.
The professional stone is chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum and topped with a Leica Magnus 2.4-16x56.
The Z6i 1-6x24 Sr is used for driven hunt and very soon for dangerous games in Africa.
With the arrival of the Leica, the old Zeiss 3-12x56 is now retired. It was a very good scope : bright and reliable but I don't like the thick reticle Frowner Very good to shoot in the darkness but too big (for me) for accurate shots on small targets.
As you can see there is a Harris bipod which is fitted and at this season I use it in prone position for fox hunting.

I also have a nice luxus stock (my first stock) but now it is retired. The point of impact was not the same with this stock Frowner The barrel in .375 H&H magnum was initially on this stock and zeroed at 50 meters with the Z6i. When I put this barrel on the professional stock, the point of impact was 8 cm above the center of the target.

I used also in England two R93 Professional in .243 Winchester (one with a classic barrel and the other with a match barrel) and one in 6.5x55. At Mauritius I used a R93 Grand luxe in 7 mm Remington magnum and a R8 in .270 Winchester. Only in shooting range I used a very nice Blaser R93 christensen in 9.3x62.

In the future I would like to have a R8 Professional Hunter in 458 Lott.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is from my experience and understanding, and I may be wrong, I am sure those with more knowledge will chime in.

1. The rifle is always cocked or uncocked, no safety. You cock the rifle with your thumb, chamber the round, and then uncock the rifle. The rifle is now safe to carry, there is no safety that can be bumped, knocked off, slip, or malfucntion, there is no tension on the spring/firing pin. When you are ready to shoot, you slide the thumb cock and you are ready to shoot. Also, the bolt can not be bumped or accidentaly opened when uncocked.
2. You can load both ways. The magazine can also be locked if you are worried about dropping it.

One of Us
Picture of Kevin375
posted Hide Post
It's not necessary to cock the rifle to load it. You just push a bit the cock with your thumb and with your index and middle finger you open the bolt easily. So you can load your rifle uncocked Wink This is the safest way Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin: Thank you. That was exactly what I was hoping to learn.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info, I had been doing it wrong since I got the R8.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I may hijack this a little more. I notice quite a few Blaser lovers have large calibers in their R8. How in the world do you rapidly reload a Blaser? I tried with some dummy loads in my 270 and had them all on the floor. The last buffalo I shot tuned into one of those occasional buffalo firefights with 8 shots fired. I can't imagine doing that with my R8. It was a challenge with a Model 70.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
If I may hijack this a little more. I notice quite a few Blaser lovers have large calibers in their R8. How in the world do you rapidly reload a Blaser? I tried with some dummy loads in my 270 and had them all on the floor. The last buffalo I shot tuned into one of those occasional buffalo firefights with 8 shots fired. I can't imagine doing that with my R8. It was a challenge with a Model 70.

With ease! Topping up an R8 or R93 is piss easy for anyone used to a to a top loader. In my local Big Game Rifle Club timed events Blasers routinely post fast times for the 8 shot events despite the mag only holding 3 rounds

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest carrying another trigger-magazine assembly in your pocket. Dick Murray makes a belt attachment for a Blaser R8 trigger. That gives you 7 shots (1in chamber+3+3), which is the quickest 7 shots available in a bolt action. I've also done some testing of Blaser vs double. Obviously the double is the fastest 2nd shot, but to 4 shots the Blaser is way, way faster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll agree with Cardinal's suggestion but GBE if you are telling me you can load that magazine quickly without removing it from the gun you're the man. I can quickly stuff a single shell in but a complete reload without magazine removal is not in the cards for me. I look forward to using this for deer hunting but I just don't see it for dangerous game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You dont need a second trigger assembly for DG, just dexterity and an ammo belt Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal 2012:
I would suggest carrying another trigger-magazine assembly in your pocket. Dick Murray makes a belt attachment for a Blaser R8 trigger.

This sounds appealing, BUT if I was under that much pressure, I would prefer not to have the trigger/magazine in one hand, and the rifle in the other. I would be far more successful topping up than removing and replacing bits and pieces. Much less chance of a fumble for me.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I own a Mauser 66 used to own a Blaser r93 with 5 barrels, a buddy has a R85.

The 66 is easy to reload from left or right.
The R93 in 270 was the most accurate.

I'd like to see an R8.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I had 5 receivers until about 2007. I had 13 barrels once all R93 stuff.

I don't have any right now. I still own the K95, and I have 3 barrels for it.

I have handled an R8, I'd probably buy one if I could get one for a reasonable price. Not quite sure what calibers I'd do.

The downfalls of the R93 seem to be taken care of in the R8.

The R8 is rated up to 500 Jefferies and 338 Lapua. It ought to be hell for stout.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Richj,

Mauser 66 were ahead of their time and have probably initiated the Blaser R concept. Years ago, I had one in 7x64 and sometimes regret our separation.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its sad case of marketing when people think Blaser they think R93 or R8 when you are really denying yourself the rest of their superb range.

Driven Hunt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the K-95 is a sweet little Mountain Rifle, and the F-series shotguns are making big inroads in the clays games.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBE:
quote:

With ease! Topping up an R8 or R93 is piss easy for anyone used to a to a top loader. In my local Big Game Rifle Club timed events Blasers routinely post fast times for the 8 shot events despite the mag only holding 3 rounds

Are they doing that with a scope or open sights? I find it very hard to top load with a scope on the way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mchughcb:
quote:
Originally posted by GBE:
quote:

Are they doing that with a scope or open sights? I find it very hard to top load with a scope on the way.

Scoped, just tilt the gun slightly in the left hand and thumb 'em in under the scope

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Check out BlaserPro.com, the R93/R8 made all other rifles obsolete.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote