THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    270 win vs 7x57.. which do you prefer
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 win vs 7x57.. which do you prefer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't ya love it when some yahoo quotes trajectory charts to prove you lied, when the chart shows the rifle is sighted in at 100 yards dead on.then he quotes the drop figures!! I sight all my rifles in 3" and sometimes 4" high at 100 yards depending on terrain..it do make a difference buba! homer

Paper tigers are scary and all to abundant!!! jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're sighting in at 300 yds or so. I'm a great believer in using MPBR.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I always sight my rifles in 2 1/2" high at 100 yards. For my 270 Win (150g Partitions at 3000 fps) it's dead on at 25 yards and then again at 260 yards. So I can aim dead on out to 300 yards and hold over approximately 1 foot at 400 yards which is about as far as I will shoot at deer or elk these days.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to whitetail gun is a Stainless Mod 70 270.
I have used 61.5 Gr of RL 22 for 20 years behind a 130 NP @ 3250 FPS. Shoots like a tight rope and cleanly takes anything within my shooting capability.
That load would seem high by todays standards but was taken out of a reference years ago. Shot it in a multitude of bolt 270's. Even 22" pipes posted above 3200 FPS. Never noted any pressure signs and reload the shell many times (Tight primer pockets with Win. brass)
It is a killer! Instills confidence!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not saying you guys are unsafe, wrong, or anything like that. I am just stating for me, I choose the 270 Win. I do so at more sedate 140 Accubond at 2950.

I am a limp noodle. You guys got me thinking I need to try for 3100.

Posts: 10548 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I get a sedate 3000 fps with 150g Partitions out of my 60's vintage BDL in 270 with a 22" barrel Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As we dance back and fourth comparing it gets thicker and thicker..

Bottom line is the 270 with handloads will out perform the 7x57 anyway you cut it, but not by enough to bother a good hunter, shooter or generally intelligent humanoid..the beauty of the 7x57 is it will kill and shoot flat enough without the noise or recoil of the .270...not to mention the .270 is a 7mm almost...277 to 284= 7..pretty close Im thinking..

This is why I prefer the 30-06.... sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to deer rifle is a 7x57 and it will do the job with either the weaker factory loads or hotter hand loads. Get it in a 1 in 9 twist.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing living defies laws of biology. When big game is deprived of topside oxygenated blood flow, it will die. What terminates topside oxygenated blood flow is immaterial. That it's terminated is.

I love the .270 Win. I used to hunt elk with a very heavy 7MM Rem Mag. After I got to thinking, which I should have done before I bought a 10+ pound Sako 7MM Rem Mag, which is a superb elk cartridge, I said to myself, "I coulda killed it just as dead with my much lighter .270 Win."

The .300 Rem Ultra Mag is exponentially more powerful than the 308 Win. But it won't kill big game deader than a .308 Win, assuming shots from either terminate topside oxygenated blood flow.

Big game don't know cartridges. They don't even know that they're dead. Merely put a bullet from any suitable cartridge where it will deprive big game's brains of life sustaining oxygen, and get ready for really hard work.

When neophytes tell me that elk will absorb repeated bullets fired from a .338 Win Mag and hightail it to the next county, I think to myself, "This tinhorn ain't got a clue." A minute, tops, is all the life remaining in any big game animal that has had its topside oxygenated blood flow terminated.

A guide in an elk camp told me that he'd rather have a hunter show up with a .270 Win that he can shoot than a .300 mag he can't.

An arrow leaving a string at 300 FPS will kill bull elk just as dead as a .375 H&H Mag, assuming an arrow destroys an elk's heart and/or lungs. On the flip side, a bullet from a .375 H&H Mag to an elk's guys could mean miles of tracking.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 7x57 will kill big game just as dead as a .270 Win.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EMP, you nailed it in my opinion.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like neither I prefer a 30-06 any day.

Posts: 2527 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love it when someone sez the 7x57 is good to 200 yards or so, If you hit a deer in the rib cage with a 7x57 at 500 yards it will die quickly enough. The only difference in the 7x57 with a good handload and the 270 likewise or even a 300 Win mag is trajectory, they all kill within reason..and a 300 mag is a 30-30 or less at some point out yonder... old sofa

Did I say I prefer the 30-06 over the rest for this continent... faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I love it when someone sez the 7x57 is good to 200 yards or so, If you hit a deer in the rib cage with a 7x57 at 500 yards it will die quickly enough. The only difference in the 7x57 with a good handload and the 270 likewise or even a 300 Win mag is trajectory, they all kill within reason..and a 300 mag is a 30-30 or less at some point out yonder... old sofa

Did I say I prefer the 30-06 over the rest for this continent... faint

Correct every round fire if it starts with more energy then another well have the same energy as the lessor round at some point.

So if you are willing to shoot a critter with a lessor round.

Why would you be unwilling to use a more powerful round out to the range it equals the less powerful round.

Some one here once told me my 223 was not powerful enough to kill Pdogs at 600 yards. But was more then willing to shoot them at 50 with a 22RF.

The 223 at 600 still had more energy then the 22RF had at 50.

Posts: 19293 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 338 and the 375 on elk, but I have not used them for quite some time..Why, I like a light rifle in my old age, I don't care for recoil, and I don't shoot past 300 yards these days except perhaps on a rare ocassion, so I shoot the 30-06 and 7x57 but that does not take away anything from the great 338 or 375...both great elk calibers..Some folks seem to think because they use a 270 or 308 on elk, it seems to bolster their manlyhood or whatever, at least in some cases..A 338 or 375 IS a better killer at any range than my 30-06 or 7x57, thats a given but I get by with the 06 and 7x57 with some modifications..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hell buy both. Shoot the one that is most accurate and sell the other. You only live once. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Hell buy both. Shoot the one that is most accurate and sell the other. You only live once. Big Grin

Spoken like a true gun nut! Big Grin This is the encouragement I expect from a gun forum jumping

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I like about my 7x57 is that there is not enough recoil even with 160 grain handloads to make the scope sight go black on firing the gun.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly the OP said he had a 7x57 itch.

So get a 7x57.

I like the 7 Mauser.

My .270s are 6.8 SPC AR’s.

I hunt deer with a .30-06 mostly. Pretty much anything will kill deer if you do your part and use a little common sense… do it the way you want to!

Get one of each if that’s what you want to do.

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will suggest the 7x57 with handloads is equal to the 270 or 280 for all practical purposes, but the 7x57 with most factory ammo is equal to a 30-30 with a 175 gr. at 2156 fps or there abouts depending on the brand or so sez my chronograph. Why is that, simply because of all the 93, 95 Mausers and the old Rem single shots, The factory hates law suits..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%. I love the 7X57, + there's a good reason why it's still around after so many years. Frankly, it gets the job done.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I agree 100%. I love the 7X57, + there's a good reason why it's still around after so many years. Frankly, it gets the job done.

I don't have just one round that I love.

I was going through one of my safes to get at a rifle.

I started handling and oiling the various ones I pulled out.

They all said to me shoot me, shoot me, take ME hunting.

So little time so many calibers.

Posts: 19293 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with a lot of the posters above, they will both do the job equally well. I think what you should be focusing on is the rifle. Go shopping and see what you like. You have two calibres that you are interested in, so that will increase the number of rifles that might interest you. It’ll be fun. Let us know what you got.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

I don't have just one round that I love.

I was going through one of my safes to get at a rifle.

I started handling and oiling the various ones I pulled out.

They all said to me shoot me, shoot me, take ME hunting.

So little time so many calibers.

"Hello my name is p dog shooter and I have a gunning problem"
Cool

Posts: 2245 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 is a handloading situation and properly loaded to only a good action, it will duplicate the 280 reloading book loads..I use H414 (WW-760) with max loads, and it equals the 270, 280 etc, but if you don't reload your basically shooting a 30-30 win, like many rounds and European rounds especially, the loading books and factory ammo is terribly underloaded because of the Rolling blocks, 95 and 93 Mausers that work at 40,000 PSI. A proper 7x57 in a good action operates at up to 65,000 PSI for the brave at heart, and they get away with it in a number of calibers, and that changes the whole subject..I almost fit that picture myself..I load a safe hot IMO....so far so good for a long time without incident..The end result under these terms is a tie between the 270, 280 and 7x57 and the 7-08 fell to the wayside many grs. ago..Guess thats why I prefer the 30-06 for anything in the elk size catagory... old animal

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Im a Mauser fan, so naturally the 7X57 gets the nod for me. Slides right in to an M-98 with no alteration and is pure pleasure to shoot. I love it with a 145 gn speer BTSP @ 2900 fs for mulies. What's not to like about either one of them though? 270 is about as fine of a deer round as it gets. I have 2 of them. I do prefer the available bullet selection of the 7mm's but Im not sure why. 270 slugs will kill a deer just as well. And if im going to hunt Elk I will probably leave them both at home.

Posts: 10107 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So now we are comparing the 175 gr. 7x57 and I suppose the 280 and 7 mag to the 270 with 175 TO 150 gr bullets?? thatS cheating to win a silly arguement, the 270 shot great and killed great with the old 170 gr. Speer and some other old bullets, and even today we have the 160 gr. Nosler partition..Lets keep an even playing field and compare apples to apples..
And yes that 145 gr. Speer in a 7mm is a deer bullet deluxe as is the same in 130 gr. 7mm
Besides all that all these mid range caliber are just alike until you get to the 35s and 338s and then and only then does the picture change, but in fact its even then very little and I challange anyone that tells me they can tell the difference in killing power and trajectory is damn hard to credit one way or the other IN THE FIELD.. horse stir sofa

All that counts is placing the bullet well and taking time to find a bullets that is constructed to match the game hunted..and sighting the rifle in properly prior to the hunt..Thats the real deal..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I shot a nice 7 point buck yesterday morning for the Maine opener with a 7x57 shooting a 139 grain bullet which hit the forward portion of the left shoulder, severed the windpipe, damaged the lungs, and broke the offside front leg. The buck made two steps, fell, kicked, and died. Range about 60 yards. Nothing flashy, nothing splashy but a well-killed deer with minimal fuss and bother.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
My father won a bunch of things in a sales contest back in 1963, the year I finished high school. One of the things he got was a Win mod 70 featherweight in 30-06 for me. no choice of caliber. That thing could and still does kick. I do have a nice little Ruger #1a in 7x57 and a custom Mexican Mauser in the same caliber, and I like the light recoil. I also like my 6.5x55 rifles, although all are military Swedish, one being a short rifle which is a delight to carry and shoot, and as I got older got interested in the 6.5 Grendel, and built a few AR types in that cal before getting a pretty little CZ527 that probably gets more centerfire time nowdays.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
A plus that made the 7x57 popular here in NZ at least, was that BSA came out with a medium length action just for the 7x57. The 308 and 243 cartridges were in the BSA short action, the 270, 30.06, etc, in the long action.
The 7x57 BSA Hunter with good 150gr Norma ammo which was readily available was a very popular rifle. The 7mm-08 deservedly now wears that crown.

As I do with the 7mm-08, I found the 7x57 was a pleasant cartridge to shoot compared with the 270 and 30-06 which had a bit more bite with them (I loaded ammo for a range of cartridges that others used so got to shoot most common cartridges at the time).

They will all do the job with good bullets put where they need to be on target.

Posts: 3821 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some years ago The Rifle or Handloader magazines did a comparison of the 7x57 and the 7mm08.

The outcome ofthat test was that the 7mm08 case head was stronger than the old 7mm case. Therefore, a higher velocity was achieved with the 7mm08 at a higher pressure.

This would tell us that we should go through the horns of this dilemma and get a new rifle in 7mm08.

Now that is a gunnuts answer, and I will stand by it.

Posts: 48 | Location: Elyria, Ohio USofA | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SWARF,
Those magazine boys only presented half the story, as usual to make a point, and I can load a 7x57 e f faster than the 7-08. Ive shot both a good deal, loaded both, and the 7-08 only beats factory loaded
7x57 ammo according to my chrographs..

Not all magazine articles are spot on my friend..So many write to make a case and get carried away, most gun nuts know that..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120