THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    7x57 with 18.5" barrel velosity ???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 with 18.5" barrel velosity ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a new unfired stainless full stock ruger in 7x57(lipseys special) with an 18.5" tube.I am just in the process of trying to decide to keep it or sell it.Any idea of the velosity potential of a 18.5" tube on a 7x57? Is a 140gr @ 2700fps achievable?It is quite light , would make a decent sheep rifle.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by canam:
I have a new unfired stainless full stock ruger in 7x57(lipseys special) with an 18.5" tube.I am just in the process of trying to decide to keep it or sell it.Any idea of the velosity potential of a 18.5" tube on a 7x57? Is a 140gr @ 2700fps achievable?It is quite light , would make a decent sheep rifle.

fishingMy 2, 7x57s have 19" barrels. Both are capable of doing 2700 fps with 140 grain bullets.
Sheep rifle? I guess if you're good at doping distance and are experienced with the rifle *** the answer is yes. I can send data if you PM E-Mail address. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats good to hear,that 2700 is probably attainable. All of my sheep have been taken inside 300yds. Actually of all the sheep I've harvested or been in on the hunt(more than 20) the longest shot was just over 325yds. I might even look at the 120gr X bullet

thanks for the info

one of us
posted Hide Post
canam,

I have a 7x57R with a 19.6" (50cm) barrel.

I've also tried the Barnes TSX 120 grainers and they did not loose too much velocity. I could just manage to obtain a tad <2700fps with them.

I returned to my time-tested & trusted Sierra 140 grainers (chronyed outa the short tube at 2590fps) because I felt the velocities obtained & game shot (European game) with this short tube & cartridge simply don't warrant the use of a "premium" mono-metal bullet. I'd consider otherwise as your long(er) range Sheep attempts may be an application where this bullet may be just the ticket.

I don't Hot-Rod the cartridges although the Blaser K95 action is reputed as being very strong.

The muzzle flash at twilight is a real conversation starter when I crank off a few at the range .....

shocker

Good Luck with your 7x57 endevour.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having used a 19 inch barreled 7x57 to take most of the game I have shot for the last ten years and having done considerable loading for it there is very little trouble getting 2600 ps out of the various 150 grain bullets but specifically the Nosler Ballistic Tip. This weight Ballistic Tip at the attainable velocity is an excellent bullet for whatever you want to shoot at to at least 300 yards. I too have seldom been forced to take many shots past that distance. I also find it easy to get 2700 fps with the 140 gr. Nosler Partition and this combination is also deadly. I chose that bullet usually when hunting feral hogs and it performs perfectly.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote