THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    6.5 Creed or 6.5-.284 Norma - what do you prefer?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Creed or 6.5-.284 Norma - what do you prefer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I like both.
The Creed is easy on the shoulder and ammo is out there.

The Norma is flat shooting and accurate.

Any strong feelings one way or the other?

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
264 Win Mag in a pre-64 Model 70

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4728 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x284 will, as you know, outperform the Creedmoor. The Creedmoor, however, is a commercial success & ammunition and components are much more readily available than for the Norma cartridge. Not a big consideration for the hand loader.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you using it for?

The 6.5/284 is the answer for anything requiring extremes.

The creed is the answer for moderation.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CRButler,
That is what I was thinking as well.
The Creedmore is a bit like a .270 or .280 with the 6.5 Norma more like the .264 and 7mm

I get it that they all "do the job", I am just trying to justify rationally why I have both.

The unjustified answer is "because I can".

I see and hear about folks shooting elk with a 6.5 Creed. To me, that is dicey, but they do it. Would I go elk hunting with the 6.5 Norma when I have a 7mm RM and a .300WM sitting in the safe? I am not sure.

I have both the Creed and Norma set up with suppressors, so noise and recoil are not an issue.

Anyway, just looking for something that looks like logic to settle my weak mind....

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

I think if I was in the market for a new 6.5 it would be the PRC version.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Ron Spomer says the .264 Win Mag is the king.

https://www.instagram.com/reel...?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
6.5x68AI

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Ron Spomer says the .264 Win Mag is the king.

https://www.instagram.com/reel...?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Lane,
Sometimes I think Ron says this about most cartridges. In truth, nearly all work very well. Usually just personal preference and experience....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive tried the 6,5s over the years, and just never found a fondness for them, I much prefer the 25s, 7x57, 270 and 06, always liked the 25-06..

Ive shuned the 6mm and 6,5s..I guess, but see no need for modern cartridge that duplicate old proven rounds and prove their worth with high dollar advertising campaigns. sofa

Come too think of it,in reality, the 250-3000 and the 7x57 is my Goddesses of the small/medium bores..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the 6.5x284 for about 20 years and when I want to reach way out and touch something, it's my go to gun.

I also have a ,260 so I don't have a use for the Creedmoor.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of 6.5x284 Blaser R93 barrels. It's a wonderful long range cartridge.

These days, I stick with my 6.5x55SE in an R8 with a 22" semi-weight barrel, and my K95 Stutzen with it's 18.5" tube.

I out shot the long barreled guys with the R8 at Darryl Hollands shooting school a few years ago.

Ammo is available all over the world and punches way above it's paper ballistics.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new guy in town walks into the LGS and asks where to get the best steak dinner. The old codger sitting by the pot-bellied stove tells him that he should order chicken. Then the clerk states that he likes fish better. The new guy slowly shakes his head and wanders across the street to Walmart where he asks the same question. Within an hour he’s eating a delicious steak dinner at the best restaurant in town.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Hey Ross, A gun safe with just one gun would be a very lonely gun safe! Rifles are herd animals and need to live in large groups!

I note that you write
quote:
I have a 7mm RM and a .300WM sitting in the safe
but do you have a .300 WSM ????

Me, I just opted for the 6,5x55SE and am waiting for it to come back from the gunsmith with its S&B sight mounted on top. Would I shoot red stag with it ? I guess I could but I would more likely take a .270 or 7x57 on to the hill ...

Ps missing your hunt reports!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I like both.
The Creed is easy on the shoulder and ammo is out there.

The Norma is flat shooting and accurate.

Any strong feelings one way or the other?

Put a lot of time and money into a 6.5 x 284 never could get it to shoot consistently, brass, chamber, and dies did not match too much variance a lot of variations. 2 barrels and a lot of money later I gave up. Plus it did not feed great

Think I have 5 or 6 6.5 Creedmoors all are accurate and not fussy at all but it's your money!

kk alaska