Find
Notify
Tools

sierra175 gr .323 bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted
I have adquired recently a new 8x57 IS. I have tested several bullets, and I found the Sierra 175 gr bullet, is the most accurate one in my rifle. Does anybody has experience with this in the field, for hunting purposes?

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 8mm -06 that shoots the 175 gr Sierra very well. I have taken several whitetail deer with this bullet and all have passed completely through with a decent wound channel.It may not be the best choice for heavy game but it works well on thin skinned game. What are you hoping to use it on?

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them out of my 8mm-06 as well with decent accuracy, still working out a load. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on elk at all. I don't see much difference in 175 8mm Sierras and the 180 .308 cal Sierras. I think one will kill an elk just as well as another it would be a different story if you were using a .325 WSM or 8mm Rem Mag. At 8mm-06 and 8x57 velocites these bullets should work well for elk and maybe moose but I've never hunted the latter. I used to use plain old Winchester ammunition 180 grain soft points to kill elk, and have never had one get away with my .30-06. I've since taken up reloading and quit buying factory ammunition.

One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted Hide Post
Thank You for your informations. I hope to use it for deers and boars, mainly in drive hunting.

Best Regards

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
hoping to use it on?

65 If your plan on using it on driven boars a little heavier bullet may be better. The 200 gr Speer bullet is also very good in my rifle. I'm not sure if they are availible to you or not.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 175 is not only quite accurate, it is a good game bullet for hoofed animals up to the size of Red Deer. However, for driven boar that you might be quite close to, I would opt for a tougher controlled-expansion bullet such as the 200-grain Nosler partition or their 200-grain Accubond. These are the two bullets I use in my SXS J.P. Sauer 8X60RS double. But this rifle is regulated for 198-grain bullets......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6,5x57, look to the european 8mm-bullets! You can find a lot of very good and modern designs, because the 8mm-caliber is a more european thing! Since invasion in Normandy, the Yanks don´t like the 8mm´s! Big Grin

Norma offers with the Vulcan and the Oryx modern design, RWS has a lot of them! Same thing with Degol, Lapua, Blaser, Reichenberg....

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
The Sierra 175 is not only quite accurate, it is a good game bullet for hoofed animals up to the size of Red Deer. However, for driven boar that you might be quite close to, I would opt for a tougher controlled-expansion bullet such as the 200-grain Nosler partition or their 200-grain Accubond. These are the two bullets ...

Good advice! Ande there is the Blaser CDP, which is similar to NP.

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boar aren't that tough. The 8mm/175 Sierra will do just fine on them. Even the heavier feral hogs here in Texas are routinely taken with a .223 and varmint bullets.

Use your 8mm with confidence.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
The 175 Sierra coupled with IMR4895 is extremely accurate in my VZ22 sporter.

S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote