New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guy's I have a remington xcr 300 wsm that is giving me problems. This is what is going on.Some times when you bolt a new round into the chamber , the gun will not cock . This has just started happening , I hunted with this gun all of last year with 0 promblems , it was a good shooter. So what do all of you think is going on , besides some of you not liking remington. lol

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has the trigger been adjusted or replaced with an aftermarket job? If it's too light the sear may not be holding the striker back as the bolt is closed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7 MAG
It may be as simple as the Remington trigger becomming dirty or gumming up.

Try this, remove the bolt.

Squirt some lighter fluid from the top if the trigger area, catching the run off in a rag at the bottom of the trigger guard. See it it is discolored [gummed up with oil] or has any debris in it, or both.

If this does not cure the problem then you should have it looked at by someone who knows about Remington triggers.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
brake cleaner is better than lighter fluid. If the trigger has been bubba-ized, they've screwed up the sear engagement.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7 MAG:
Guy's I have a remington xcr 300 wsm that is giving me problems. This is what is going on.Some times when you bolt a new round into the chamber , the gun will not cock . This has just started happening , I hunted with this gun all of last year with 0 promblems , it was a good shooter. So what do all of you think is going on , besides some of you not liking remington. lol

Trigger is not working right. This is dangerous, if it is leaving the striker DOWN ON A LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER! Any blow on the striker head will fire the gun!!

Take it to your friendly gunsmith right now!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
I take it the triggers aren't weatherproof

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
brake fluid works good . squirt a liberal amount then use an air hoze and blow the crap out of it. Try it again being careful not to get in eyes wear protection. Then repeat with rem oil if that doesnt do it it needs to be worked on ( you can use wd40 also hoped this helped you out

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry I meant brake kleen not brake fluid be careful not to breath it too

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would advise against WD40 in your trigger. In some humid conditions, it will get gummy. Lighter fluid and air dry. No oil!

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take the rifle out of the stock and clean the trigger with a tooth brush. Also clean the good where the cocking piece catches the sear...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
sounds like wd-40itous some lubricants malfunction that trigger by the residue they leave behind brake kleen the arisol spray works to clean the gum out of it . unless it has been fiddled with it is probably just dirty.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you store the rifle uncocked? If so pushing the bolt release a couple of times with the bolt open will usually fix it. Best cleaning method is take the barreled action out of the stock, remove the bolt and rinse it lightly with rubbing alcohol then blow it out with an air hose. I then oil it lightly with Dextron transmission fluid. I feel it is important to do this periodically with the stock Remington trigger. They are good triggers they just need maintenance.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guy's , I thank you for all of the info. I will try to tell you what I have done to the gun. I took it to my gunsmith which in turn beded , redid the crown , lap the lug's , and yes adjusted the triger . But I think you all are right about the dirty triger. Like I said I hunted with this rifle last year with no problems.After what each of you said , I set down to think how it could have gotten so dirty. This is what I think happen. On a couple of trips to my stand I had to put the rifle in a gun rack on a four wheeler to go to my stand. I did the best I could to protect it , but did have to travel down a sand road for a bit.This was at the close of the season . After season closed I cleaned the rifle from top to bottom.I do not use wd anything on my guns. I try to use the best cleaning supplies I can get. So if it turns out the trigger is dirty, I did not do as good of a job cleaning it as I should have. I will let you know how things work out. Thank each of you for the help again.

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Brake fluid is a no-no. it will much the finish on your stock in no time. Napthane (lighter fluid) works well, just don't use a lighter to peek into the action until it evaporates. Barring poor adjustment practice, gunk in the trigger is the likely culprit. If someone hasn't reccomended it, a bore guide will help keep the trigger free of bore solvent as you clean.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't think you did enough to get the trigger dirty enough to have the problem you're having. I'd take it back to the smith that adjusted the trigger and have him redo it (for free) He should not have touched the sear engagement screw when he adjusted it. He may not have re-lock tited the adjustment screws also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7 MAG:
Guy's , I thank you for all of the info. I will try to tell you what I have done to the gun. I took it to my gunsmith which in turn beded , redid the crown , lap the lug's , and yes adjusted the triger . But I think you all are right about the dirty triger. Like I said I hunted with this rifle last year with no problems.After what each of you said , I set down to think how it could have gotten so dirty. This is what I think happen. On a couple of trips to my stand I had to put the rifle in a gun rack on a four wheeler to go to my stand. I did the best I could to protect it , but did have to travel down a sand road for a bit.This was at the close of the season . After season closed I cleaned the rifle from top to bottom.I do not use wd anything on my guns. I try to use the best cleaning supplies I can get. So if it turns out the trigger is dirty, I did not do as good of a job cleaning it as I should have. I will let you know how things work out. Thank each of you for the help again.

Sounds like all you need to do is take it to the guy that adjusted the sear engagement a little too crisp so it will not hold. This is very unsafe because you may be able to cock it and then fire accidentaly. It is a simple fix and if you looked on our site here you could find the instructions and see where he messed up. When it comes to cleaning triggers Jewell recommends a lighter fluid flush and I use this on my Jewell and Rem triggers. If adjusted properly you will have no problem.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington triggers are very suseptable to even small amounts of dust. It doesn't take a lot to make them a bit balky. The tolerances between the housing the trigger parts are in are too tight. A little grit goes a long way.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find if I use 8 oz of Talisker Single Malt I get cocked just fine.... rotflmo............JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 7 or 8 Molson Goldens get me cocked too. Hey I dont use wd 40 very much but it can be helpful in getting rid of cosmo on military guns ( with the compressed air hoze. ) It also works great with brake Kleen Wd40 first then brake kleen . Try it uall will like it . Heyyyy I corrected myself , typed brake fluid instead of brake kleen in first message . good shooting to yall from Kentucky