Notify
Tools

Kokotukki II
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted
Howdy,

Sometimes fortune smiles upon you.. Unfired, ANIB. .338 Win Mag. I'm due for a moose tag this year.

Sako AV .338

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much better for a Wyoming shiras moose than a 338 win Mag.
Nice find!
Good luck in the drawings too!

Zeke

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I took that huge pic down! I couldn't figure out how to resize it. I'm going to sight it in with the iron sights, then decide what optics to put on it. I'm thinking a LPVO, 1.5 x5 or 1.75 x6 Leupolds; 1x6 something or another...

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
No joy on the impossible tags...I hope we'll draw Elk...and antelope.

I did put a 2.5x8 on it in the Lynx and Hillver mounts that came with the gun. They're a little too high, but worth a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice full stock with some pretty grain! Should be a moose/elk buster. What does she weigh, if I may be so bold to ask?

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoWyo:
No joy on the impossible tags...I hope we'll draw Elk...and antelope.

I did put a 2.5x8 on it in the Lynx and Hillver mounts that came with the gun. They're a little too high, but worth a try.

The 2.5-8x Leupold is about perfect for the .338WM rifles I use in Alaska.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe,

I didn't know, so I weighed 4 rds and hopped on the scale. All told, it weighs #9-3ozs, with the leather Cobra sling and the Vari-X III mounted in the L&H mounts. That should smooth out the recoil impulse.

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
This is the year, I drew a 38-1 bull tag.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
38-1 being the hunt unit? Northern central Wyo ay? I hope you will post pics. How is the rifle shooting?

Posts: 10115 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
No, Southern Wy. Laramie on west. Im about to find out. 210, 225, 250 partitions and 275 speers. We drew nothing last year, went bird hunting a time or two.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
here ya go

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10048 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike!

I’m going to have to glaze this rifle in renaissance wax if we have weather then like now!!
Either that or put it in my spare McMillan stock.
Wet outside!

G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow that is a beautiful rifle! Congrats on pulling a tag in a great area. I saw a Big bull near Elk mountain just off Hwy 80 not long ago,not too many wolves down there like up north here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not the most versed person in moose units but 38-1 is supposed to be a great tag to have.

I killed one in 24 back in 1976 and another in 2 in 2014. Both were fabulous adventures and ended producing good antler and delicious meat. 2nd bull made BC awards and PY record book. (proud braggard).

Have fun on the hunt and enjoy that beautiful rifle in one of my fav chamberings!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope fortune smiles on you for the moose and be sure to give us a write-up!

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Congrats Zeke! Please post some pics, or a link! Great bulls, no bears or wolves make this a sought after tag! Im 61 and this is my first moose license! I’ll keep a journal as I have 2 months of vacation saved up. I’m gonna get tired of living out of my camper!

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Drooooolll! Full stock Sakos make me tingly. Big Grin What a score!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Back up. AII in .308.

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Well, my quest is over. I took my once in a lifetime bull back on the fourth off the side of Jelm Mountain, @33 miles SW of Laramie. It was a community effort, from receiving a tip on where another Hunter had seen him a week before to meeting other hunters, and their giving us heads up on where they had seen him when we were on the mountain.

I am beyond happy with him, and so glad that my son and brother-in-law were with me to enjoy in the hunt and kill.

Nosler 225 gr partition out of my Sako AV .338, 240 yds. Two shots, first through the shoulders, so he didn’t run off the mountain, (which I still would be packing him off of), the second shot was a follow up when he gathered his hind end. His head was down so my shot through his ribs angled up through his neck,where i found the slug stuck in the hide.

My bull

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
Makes me want to get back over there. I saw a cow moose near Fremont Lake in 1986 but, not having a moose license or any desire for non-trophies, backed off to not upset her.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote