Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safe Affidavit
 Login/Join

posted
hey....I'm thinking of buying a rifle and I have a couple of quick questions: I have a gunsafe, and I know that if buy a rifle I need to sign an affidavit stating that I own a safe, or I will have to buy a trigger lock. If I decide to sell the safe at a later date and buy a trigger lock, do I need to notify the state in any official way of the change? Is it just a matter of buying a trigger lock? I contacted the firearms bureau at the Attorney General's office over the internet, but I have not received a response? Any help? Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what part of the former Soviet Union do you live in?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The People's Republic of Kalifornia

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have got to be kidding!!!

Hopefully one of our California residents will chime in here quickly with their experience.

If you are actually required to do this - just puchase a trigger lock - they aren't that much money and forget about the affidavit.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you, your money, safe, rifle be safer in some other state?
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
bewildered Where's the emoticon for "I'm apalled"?

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dirtyharry62:
hey....I'm thinking of buying a rifle and I have a couple of quick questions: I have a gunsafe, and I know that if buy a rifle I need to sign an affidavit stating that I own a safe, or I will have to buy a trigger lock. If I decide to sell the safe at a later date and buy a trigger lock, do I need to notify the state in any official way of the change? Is it just a matter of buying a trigger lock? I contacted the firearms bureau at the Attorney General's office over the internet, but I have not received a response? Any help? Thanks

I know you are between a rock and a hard place.but I am sorry you had to contact the AG's office.

Undoubtedly now that the question has been raised, they will be drafting a new regulation requiring everyone who sells their gunsafe(s) to both notify the AG's office with a notarized statement to that effect....AND show receipts to verify they have purchased a trigger lock for each and every of their guns. Lastly, they'll probably charge about $25 per gun as an "administrative fee" to make YOU pay for all the paper-work and new bureacrats that'll engender.

As for all those who are appalled, just remember 10 years from now that you saw it coming your way from Kalifornia and did nothing to stop it except bitch.

With the numbers of Congress-people California, New York, and some of the other heavily populated states have, acting together they can impose damn near any ridiculous laws they want on the other 40-45 states, if they also control the Senate.

Need I remind you it is time to make sure no more of these left wing whackos are elected as your representatives either this year or next?

They are the "ROCK" on one side of you. The "HARD PLACE" on the other side is all the right wing corporate cookoo clocks who think that robbing the U.S. treasury in the name of "security" is perfectly okay. Choose your poison.

(Or better yet, vote only for decent, honest, thinking, individuals, NOT the moral morass represented by the Party lines. And teach your kids, other relatives, and neighbors to do the same.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mark?

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have never experienced such bullshit! Not even in New York!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RickR,

Eeker

Will that work?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:

I have never experienced such bullshit! Not even in New York!

WOW! We don't even have to do this in Canada!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
RickR,

Eeker

Will that work?
Rich
DRSS

Rich,
Pretty close Big Grin
I think those of us who live in the somewhat free states should try to avoid doing business with companies from the less free states and be vocal as to why. I've told representatives of Cali companies that I don't buy from that State in the past. Don't know how much good it'd do, but at least it makes me feel better.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:

To answer your question

You do not need to notify the state of anything. The state requires you to have a secure way of storing a firearm when you purchase it. if you sell the safe later, you just have to buy a trigger lock/cable lock, etc the next time that you buy a gun.

For all you guys acting shocked and appalled, how many of you know that starting in 2006 Federal law requires you to purchase a gunlock (if one is not provided by the manufacturer) for every handgun that you buy?

(1) MANDATORY TRANSFER OF SECURE GUN STORAGE OR SAFETY DEVICE - Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting at the end the following:

`(z) SECURE GUN STORAGE OR SAFETY DEVICE -

`(1) IN GENERAL- Except as provided under paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person other than any person licensed under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section 921(a)(34)) for that handgun.

7/29/2005 Passed/agreed to in Senate: Passed Senate with amendments by Yea-Nay. 65 - 31. Record Vote Number: 219.
10/20/2005 Passed/agreed to in House: On passage Passed by the Yeas and Nays: 283 - 144 (Roll no. 534).
10/26/2005 Signed by President.
10/26/2005 Became Public Law No: 109-092

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote