Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Creedmoor vs 270 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
There's been a lot of discussion on the excellence of the 6.5 Creedmoor as a cartridge. Not disputing that but I think it's time we discussed how it compares to the venerable and much maligned 270 Win

Question:
Which caliber is superior?

Choices:
6.5 Creedmoor
270 Winchester

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
When you can get 3000 fps out of a 150 grn bullet in a .625 bc with a
LR Accubond the scale tips slightly towrds the .270 with a comparison of the 6.5 being a 142 grn LR Accubond and a 250 yard zero with a 500 yard max in both cartridges

But it's really a wash

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Hornady is a good resource for a comparison.

They have tons of both rounds available as factory ammunition, and load data.

Almost every 6.5 Creedmoor rifle built, has the right barrel twist to shoot VLD bullets common in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Most 270s will not have the right twist to take advantage of the newest VLD 270 bullets.

Eventually at 500 plus yards the majority of 6.5 CM loads beat the 270. In a rifle with the correct twist, and with the top end 270 bullets the 270 is a better mouse trap for long range.

The 284's have always had way more bullets than the 277s. Because of the resurgance of the 6.5's, this is also true of the 6.5s.

I think if you are buying a factory rifle to shoot long range you are better off with a 6.5. If you are building one, and loading your own the 270 is hands down better.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which caliber is superior

Superior for what? Long range targets, deer hunting, elk hunting, reloading, factory ammo availability? .

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I left the Mojave Desert, there was far more 6.5 Creedmoor on the shelves of everyone that 270. Walmart was the only place to buy 270.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
For hunting the answer is a simple application of physics. the 270Win has a 25% larger case volume and larger diameter. This isn't a contest. 270Win. For target and lower recoil a case might be made for the 6.5Creed, but not for hunting.

I would vote the same in a comparison between 270Win and 7-08, since the 270 has a 20% larger case volume.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
myTimeZone('Sat, 22 Apr 2017 17:48:46 );23 April 2017 05:4823 April 2017 05:48Hide Postquote:Which caliber is superior Superior for what? Long range targets, deer hunting, elk hunting, reloading, factory ammo availability? .

right that all depends on what you want to do with it.
I also own a .260 rem. and a 7mm-08.
I will take my 7mm-08 over a 270 win. any day..
there is not much comparison there.
more like .260 rem vs. 6.5 creedmoor or 270 win. vs. 280 rem

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
As far as the 270 vs 7mm-08 in my opinion there's no contest from a hunting performance perspective. The 270 is superior in every way. Lots of folks love the 7x57 Mauser too. I respect that. I'm a 270 fan, yet I realize the 280 Remington is a slightly better cartridge. It just never really caught on. I don't know why anyone would shoot a 7mm-08 instead of a 280 Remington unless it's the fact that it has less recoil.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Inside of 350 yards which is my general limitation there is no difference. Ginger or Mary Ann?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot an U/L custom 7-08, three custom .280Rems.two custom P-64 Fwt. 270s, just sold a third and my beloved Kimber MA in 280AI plus two custom 7x57s.

My only 6.5s in 53 years of gun ownership were a Mannlicher-Schonauer, MCA-1961 in 6.5x55 (NOT a misprint) and my P-64 Westerner, an early specimen in .264WM.

I would never choose a 6.5 CM over any of these and prefer the .280, .270Win. and 280AI with good handloads over any other non-magnum rounds.

With RE-26, one can get outstanding ballistics from all of these.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it odd that we treat the 270 Win as some sort of moribund caliber; not a worthy competitor in today's world. I see it among Blaser owners as well...barrels trade hands like candy among owners, but you can't give away a barrel in 270 Win. I'll bet if someone were to change the name, load it with modern powders and bullets, and publish the ballistics, it would become the latest "gotta have' caliber.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll bet if someone were to change the name, load it with modern powders and bullets, and publish the ballistics, it would become the latest "gotta have' caliber.

Biebs,

In my older age, I think of the 270 as the ultimate all-around sub-30 hunting round, a magnum performer.

I know it's not a "magnum" with a .511" case body plus belt, but down at .277" a cartridge doesn't need much more capacity. A modern monolithic bullet at 129-130 grains will do it all, penetrate right though, and travel at 3100-3125fps. That is magnum hunting. You can load them another +100fps, but everything depends on the accuracy node of the rifle. It's on the light side, of course, since it is only .277". For smaller deer and antelope the 110TTSX just sings at 3300fps. Again, that is magnum hunting. In a standard -06-ish case. I'm an Elmer fan, especially in Africa, but I must admit that Jack got it right on the 270.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I've been handloading 150g Partitions in my 270 to 3000 fps for longer than I can remember. It's my only big game load. It's a definite, deer, elk and black bear killer. Never needed two shots, except if the animal is down but not quite dead and suffering, giving it a finishing shot. I've never had a 6.5 Creedmoor but it looks like one heck of a good round too

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
[QUOTE]magnum performer.

I'm an Elmer fan, especially in Africa, but I must admit that Jack got it right on the 270.

old tu2 A BIG 10-4. beerroger clap

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHERE'S the comparison????

Comparing the Creedmoor with a 6.5-08/260 Rem or the 270 with a 284/280/7mm Rem are comparisons...comparing a ~60 gr case with a ~70 grain case is like comparing a 350cc Chebby to a 454cc Chebby...apples to cantaloupe.

All I have to do is play with the barrel length a bit and I can reverse the velos...a long barreled 6.5 will stomp the sh** out of a short barreled 270, but it's STILL a 270 or a 6.5 Creed...WHAT THE HE** DOES THAT EVEN MEAN...COMPARISON???

LUCK beer tu2 Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know why anyone would shoot a 7mm-08 instead of a 280 Remington unless it's the fact that it has less recoil.

its a short action.. im pushing 140s at almost 2900 fps with a 24 in. barrel. i do load for a .280 with a 22 in. with only 100 fps faster.. speed don't kill. its bullet placement.. i also pick a 308 over a 30-06 and i load for both.. there again, 150 grain bullet only about 100-150 fps slower. at 350-400 yards the animal will never know the difference

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am more of a 30/06 guy. I have also leaned to the two and a half inch cartridges over the "308" case leagth rounds.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the 7/08, it was the first rifle I bought my wife. And it has done well at a sedate 2770 FPS bt loads for neck shooting deer. But it really is fighting a losing battle to the 270,

That said we have a beautiful 270 Supergrade we are taking to Austria this year with 140 grain Accubonds for fallow deer. The 6.5 creed would be great in an AR-10, but that is not what people think about when they think 6.5 creed. But for my taste in rifles at 400 yard and in, I have really fallen for the 270. Good velocity, low recoil, high energy. I favor it with 140 grain bullets over a true or magnum 7mm. The big 7s in my humble opinion start with 162 grain bullets.

I leave it to the long range guys to decide if the ballistic magic of the 140 6.5 creed wins the day way down there, but I lean toward the larger case making up the difference.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Compare the 6.5 C to a 257 Roberts or 250-3000 would be a better conversation..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old 10-4, Ray
beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine why I'd get a 270 over a 30-06. It's only a difference of 4" at 400 yards.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Big Grin

See what I mean...30 cal vs 270 cal...medium case against larger case and 25 cal vs 6,5 cal... when will it ever end????? Eeker

This comparison "stuff" is a good excuse to build/buy another rifle...if an excuse is ever needed. Cool

LUCK beer tu2

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't know why anyone would shoot a 7mm-08 instead of a 280 Remington unless it's the fact that it has less recoil.

its a short action..

When we looked for a Tikka rifle for my wife it turned out that the short rounds (7-08, etc) and long rounds (270) used the same action and were the same weight.

Of course, many manufacturers produce a shorter action for the rounds with 2.02" cases. That probably explains the dearth of US rifles these days for the Bob (2.23") and the Swede (2.17"), two great calibers even at factory loads of 54k psi. Why all the fuss about a 1.92" case with almost no body taper yet remaining with less capacity? (OK, the target crowd can play with the Creed. With its 0.008" body taper spread out over 1.5" and spanking pressures of 62k-psi.) Physics is still physics and a handloaded Bob or Swede still works wonders, too.

PS: At least too much of a good thing [smallness?] has not led anyone to promote the 6.5 Grendel in this thread. Let the target shooters enjoy the lower recoiling.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

The recoil difference is marginal. The real advantage is the ability to use a short action and a rifle designed around the shorter cartridge.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

its a short action..

When we looked for a Tikka rifle for my wife it turned out that the short rounds (7-08, etc) and long rounds (270) used the same action and were the same weight.

Of course, many manufacturers produce a shorter action for the rounds with 2.02" cases. That probably explains the dearth of US rifles these days for the Bob (2.23") and the Swede (2.17"), two great calibers even at factory loads of 54k psi. Why all the fuss about a 1.92" case with almost no body taper yet remaining with less capacity? (OK, the target crowd can play with the Creed. With its 0.008" body taper spread out over 1.5" and spanking pressures of 62k-psi.) Physics is still physics and a handloaded Bob or Swede still works wonders, too.

PS: At least too much of a good thing [smallness?] has not led anyone to promote the 6.5 Grendel in this thread. Let the target shooters enjoy the lower recoiling.

I definitely vote 6.5 Creedmoor. Hands down ! My little stainless Hawkeye is a caribou killing machine. Turning in consistent 1 shot kills. And Thats after I chopped the barrel back to 18.6". Since at 300 yards I've gotten around 45" of penetration AND exit going lengthwise thru the body of a good size meat bull . With the 130 gr TSX Flat Base that has a MV of 2775 fps . The bull turned and dropped. I honestly totally fail to see how a 270 would in Any way possible work better than that !! It is SOOOO easy to shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington or 6.5×47 or 6.5×55 Very well !! Every bit as easy as shooting a 243. And the 6.5 just does a great job of killing game without making a big mess out of the meat. At least with the bullets I shoot.

Now I really like the 270 and consider it a great cartridge. One that I don't see any shortage of where I hunt.
But as far as killing ability it won't kill any animal , any faster than the 6.5s
Neither one of them is a 338 . They both work great .
Yes the 6.5 is "designed" as a target competition round. But that in now way impedes it from being a Great hunting round.
With a good quick twist barrel , the 270 with the right bullets can be a good long range round . but with the normal twist rates it can't stabilise good modern super high BC bullets.

So, I'm not dishing anyone's 270 . But the 6.5 is just better ;-)

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are both great rounds. Ballistics will go with the 270 because the case has more capacity. I own them both and like them both. The Creedmoor is a sweetheart of a cartridge though. It fits a short action with no compromise.

As for killing efficiency both should do well depending on shot placement and choice of bullets. Choose a bad bullet or hiccup at the wrong time and send it to the wrong place and you are in for a bad time.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Henderson:
They are both great rounds. Ballistics will go with the 270 because the case has more capacity. I own them both and like them both. The Creedmoor is a sweetheart of a cartridge though. It fits a short action with no compromise.

As for killing efficiency both should do well depending on shot placement and choice of bullets. Choose a bad bullet or hiccup at the wrong time and send it to the wrong place and you are in for a bad time.

Joe

Ballistics only go to the 270 for the first 400-500 yards. After that the 6.5 CM kicks it's ass because of BC.

Shooting Bergers the 270 would probably always win. Any other bullet the advantage will be to the 6.5.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except in semi auto rifles, I do not see a hunting world advantage in the sort action/308 based cartidges. You loose capacity and bullet weight. I run my bolt actions the same way like I am going to let an angel out of th chamber and keep the devil in. Bolt comes back fast and when it hits the bolt stop straight home when steel tells me the bolt is back to the chamber down it turns. This is all done in one motion. My hand never leaves the bolt. I know I am young and inexperienced, but I am good at it. I have the boar to prove it.

For long range shooting a shorter action in theory, all things being equal, should be stiffer, create less vibration, and be more or superiorly accurate. At least, that is what I have been told. But I am only so accurate and need to only be so accurate. So, between the two pass me the 270.

I agree the 30/06 is a little bit more thanks in large part to 180 plus grain bullets. My 30/06 has never shot a 150 grain bullet. I am not convinced there is much difference between a 277 150 grain bullet at 2850 and a 308 150 grain bullet at 2900 fps. But I have taken the 30/06 out, and it has had its fun. For this hunt the 270 supergrade gets a turn. Got to be fair and love them all equally.

I remember when superformance ammo first came out. Someone from Petersons Hunting took the 6.5 creed out for elk (Van Zowl, I think but not sure). I remember the reader mail in fire back section was very upset at such a small cartridge being used on elk. I say it is a bit light, but now that we are fully in this new small bore fast cartidge era, I bet it would be better recieved. I make no judgements (use what you want, be a responsible shooter, and get it over as quickly as possible); just wandering.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is plenty for elk as long as you stick with broadside or quartering shots and good bullets. When I moved up to a 270 for elk, it was primarily because there were grizzlies in the area. I was young and immortal but that 270 seemed like a big gun to me back then.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
quote:
Which caliber is superior

Superior for what? Long range targets, deer hunting, elk hunting, reloading, factory ammo availability? .

+1 You nailed it, IMO.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
All of the above ...

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Inside of 350 yards which is my general limitation there is no difference. Ginger or Mary Ann?

I choose BOTH AND BOTH!!! Big Grin

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
I do enjoy reading these debates. except in a debate, both sides present their data, and in the end, a decision is made as to which is better. that will never be the case here....which is why i have to keep telling my wife that yes, in fact, i do NEED another rifle!

T/C is offering a 6.5CM in their Dimension platform, and will hopefully be out soon. i'll be picking one of those up, because, why not? it may replace my .243win as my antelope rifle. it will not be going after elk, that is the 7RM and 338 RUM' job.

but to sort of piggyback on this discussion....

my neighbor is a bow-hunter. but he wants one rifle to expand his seasons a bit. but he is not into collecting, he wants one do-all rifle.

i said .300wm... but i am not sure if he'll go for a magnum round, he does not seem to want to deal with recoil too much. i have a difficult time recommending a .260 or 6.5Cm for elk just because it "seems" small, even though i see more and more people killing elk with them. the .270 with a faster twist barrel or the old '06 seem like good options, with plenty of factory ammo offerings around (he will not be rolling his own). i keep telling him this is why we need multiple rifles, so we do not have to make the difficult decision to choose just one rifle...

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the 270 will do the bowhunter just fine.
Low recoil, and he already knows how to be careful with shots.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like the 270 will do the bowhunter just fine.
Low recoil, and he already knows how to be careful with shots.

+1 Especially if he is not going to reload. It's always fun to look at new rifles/calibers but if DG is not on the table, it's hard to make a case for anything but a 270. Probably the reason you don't hear more about the cartridge is it just gets the job done. No fuss, no bother.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to go for the underdog calibers and have yet to be disappointed. I have a 7mm-08 rather than a 280 Win. I have a 358 Winchester rather than a 35 Whelen and I also have a 9.3x62 instead of a 375 H&H. These calibers all work just fine on game when used in the right situations. So, I feel comfortable with my 6.5 CM over a .270. I'm sure the 270 is a fine caliber and that I would be happy with it as well. I just don't see a need for it with what I already have in my safe.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggs300:
I feel comfortable with my 6.5 CM over a .270.

old OK ! beer roger

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggs300:
I seem to go for the underdog calibers and have yet to be disappointed. I have a 7mm-08 rather than a 280 Win. I have a 358 Winchester rather than a 35 Whelen and I also have a 9.3x62 instead of a 375 H&H. These calibers all work just fine on game when used in the right situations. So, I feel comfortable with my 6.5 CM over a .270. I'm sure the 270 is a fine caliber and that I would be happy with it as well. I just don't see a need for it with what I already have in my safe.

Me too, I went with a 500 Jeffery instead of a 505 Gibbs ... glad for the lower recoil

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I seem to go for the underdog calibers ... I have a 7mm-08 rather than a 280 ...

I seem to go for the calibers designed for a diameter.
A 270Win as a 270,
a 338WM as a 338,
a 416 Rigby as a 416

I'd probably do the Bob for .257 and the Swede for 6.5.

Variations all work, too, of course (6.8, 338Fed, 416Rem, etc.).

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So how would you define superior?
If you define superior by bigger bullet more case capacity we should all be shooting 50 bmg.
I have a bunch of deer rifles. .257 Roberts.270 308. 06.
They all work just fine. Dead is dead. ...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted by tjRoberts:
.257 Roberts

tu2
Before the 243 was popping prairie dogs,
- and the 308 was not yet rat-tat-tating,
the deer were falling to the 257Roberts.

Pressures were very low in those days, so if I were building one today I would either chamber the 257 AckleyImproved version, or get a strong factory 257Roberts and handload to 60-65k-psi. The 257 Ackley is a better hunting design than the 6.5Creedmore, with 16% more capacity [just shy of the 25-06], and the 257Bob has more, too, with 9% more than the Creed. With todays' pressures and powders, imagine a 100gnTTSX at 3350fps, or a 115TTSX at 3150fps in a standard chamber Roberts.

The Bob made a great starting rifle for kids. They could graduate to a 270, -06, or 338 later.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+