THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Thoughts, advice, help - bullet weight Sauer 101 Custom

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts, advice, help - bullet weight Sauer 101 Custom
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Hey AR ! Have just picked up a Sauer Classic 6,5x55SE which I am topping with a Schmidt & Bender Zenith 2,5-10x56 glass.

I do not reload and have looked at the vast amount of cartridges available in this caliber.

Thinking roe deer mid near and far and pigs and looking for accuracy.

Now the question - which is very much the novice question - rifle first time in the hand does one go start with a lighter round suitable for roe and fallow and similar like a 120 / 131 grain round or do you try for or five manufacturers in different weights etc to see what and where you go or do you mix light and heavier loads and test the results?

Remember you are not a reloader but buying factory ammo.....

Understand that this is a broad question but as stated I do not reload and am trying to get my head around suitable wights and distances and so on....

Thanks for any comments and help / advice.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
That sounds like a fine rig. Personally, I would start with the 140 grain loads and there should be several factory loads of that weight to try. It should be a "do it all" bullet weight and a good compromise. Beyond that, if you did handload, I'd be inclined to suggest the 130 grain Nosler Accubond. I haven't used it but it looks like it could very well be a great all around bullet also. I am unaware of any factory load that utilizes it though. I don't own a 6.5x55 but do have a 6.5x54 which I shoot the 156-160 bullets from (1903 Mannlicher) I also have another 6.5, of which I will not mention it's full caliber designation, that I shoot because I was given 9 boxes of factory ammo, so....

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote