THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Anyone still shooting 8mm rem mag?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still shooting 8mm rem mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Saw one over the weekend and I don't recall the last time I had seen one in person. It was a Rem 700 bdl (I think only 15,000 were made beginning around 1978).

Used to own a few 7mm stw's. They hit like lightning and I never saw an animal do anything but drop when hit with it.

Looking online, brass and loaded ammo will be a chore to find. But not worse than any other neat caliber (405, 348, etc).

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I dont think any factory ammo is being made for it any longer

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2576 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have brass if you need some.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have mine. I have a ton of brass and components. It kills about like my 340 Wby does and there is nothing wrong with that

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jerry Hoover here on AR does. He has come over + used my loading room in the past to load up. As far as I know he still shoots it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually shoot an 8x68S which is a ballistic twin to the 8 Mag. Kills like a hammer here and in Africa.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1016 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
I have a 8mm Rem Mag built on a Win 70 Classic Express action with a custom walnut stock. I am willing to part with it for the right price. As I get older, my opportunities to hunt with it have greatly diminished.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hasher:
I actually shoot an 8x68S which is a ballistic twin to the 8 Mag. Kills like a hammer here and in Africa.

Same here.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No; no one is still shooting these.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I have and plan to again.
I had a RH Remington that I got rid of as I'm LH. I still possess all the reloading components and I own a Ruger in 330 Dakota I have no components for.

The rebarrel from Dakota to 8mm mag seems reasonable.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
Originally posted by Hasher:

Same here.

Wait
We have TWO 8x68S guys in the same metro area???

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1016 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was a good enough caliber but Americans have never warmed up to 8mm, and 35 calibers, add to that Remington in all their glory didn't plan on bullet failure and fail it did until Nosler came to the rescue but too little to late..what a shame..Ive never owned one and we have the 338
win for my part.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who has one. I used to load for him. The Nosler Partition 200 is a great bullet in this round. If brass is a problem it can easily be made from .375 H&H, .300 H&H, 7mm STW, or about any other 2.85" belted magnum case.

I recently bought from another friend a .338/8mm RM wildcat. A ballistic twin of the .340 Wby without the screwy radiused shoulder. A .338 Win die screwed out the right amount easily makes a .375 H&H case that fits the chamber with a single pass. On the first firing it will square the shoulders slightly to match the chamber, but performance is not compromised.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:

It seems more and more like a lot of calibers are getting dropped from the box ammo makers, what with the onslaught of the latest whiz bang introductions. Makes me wonder which oldies will survive and which ones they intend to drop altogether. Confused The H&H line is a prime example. I cant remember when the last time was that I saw anything H&H on a store shelf.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:

It seems more and more like a lot of calibers are getting dropped from the box ammo makers, what with the onslaught of the latest whiz bang introductions. Makes me wonder which oldies will survive and which ones they intend to drop altogether. Confused The H&H line is a prime example. I cant remember when the last time was that I saw anything H&H on a store shelf.

Henderson's (used to be in Hagerstown, now further north) would have them. Rarely seen so many odd calibers on a shelf.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Liberal Democrats at work, and the good ole Democrats keep their mouths shut letting the liberals do whatever..History repeating itself, and the fall of an empire is the usual result..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
It was a good enough caliber but Americans have never warmed up to 8mm, and 35 calibers, add to that Remington in all their glory didn't plan on bullet failure and fail it did until Nosler came to the rescue but too little to late..what a shame..Ive never owned one and we have the 338
win for my part.

There is no reason or logic that a cup and core interlock/corlockt/game king bullet would
fail at .323/220 grains/3000fps anymore than a 180 grain 308 bullet at 2800 fps (300 WM velo) or a 225 grain .338 bullet at 2960 fps would fail.

All need better bullets if you are going to take hard angles on elk or larger.

Before the ammo crunch there were great .323 bullets available

Swift A frame 200 and 220 grain
Braves X 200 grain
Woodleigh 220-250 grain (Damn fire)
Nosler Partition 200 grain
Nosler E Tip 180 grain
Sierra GameKings 220 grain

I never owned a 8mm Remington Mag. I have 3 STWS, and the STW amazes me having taken game up to a 440 pound gutted on a scale stag. Of course, the 416 Remington, and 358 STA (next year’s rifle for everything).

You are most correct the 8 Remington Mag and, most sadly, the 35s have not been popular. The fault is heavy on Remington.

I agree cup/core non bonded bullets in the Big 8 would fail on hard angles on elk and bigger. The idea that a corlockt would fail at 220 grains and 2950 (24 inch BDL velo) through the heat and lungs, but a 180 grain 308 at the same velo from a 300 WM was a fine elk getter is where I have to dissent.

Craig Boddington (I know we all dislike him now) used tge 8 Remington a lot on elk and big sheep with 220 grain Gamekings pushed faster than Remington loaded it.

I say all this to underscore the Big 8 failed, but it was not because of bullets. I failed because of Remington.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For awhile there I thought Craig Boddington was going to try and push it through his writings. Perhaps do for it what Jack O'Connor did for the 270. I know he was a big fan of the cartridge, or at least that was my take from a few articles.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He writes well of it in his books and all admits he tried to save it through spilt ink.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted one, but each time I got ready to build one I would talk myself out of it. Since I have two .300 Weatherbys, I could never justify building one. There is virtually no reloading data that beats the 300 Wby with a 200 grain bullet by enough to matter. Never saw any in depth articles with loads worked up that would do it either. Not to mention I have two .338s. So the bases were pretty much covered. In fact, I have Remington 700 LA that I hang on to just in case I decide to put one together. I guess it would be a great choice if I didn't already have a 300 Wby. or a .338.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best load I ever saw, shown by Boddington in America Rifles II was a 200 grain Branes Triple Shock at 3225 fps. The load was a “commercial” Double Tap load. It shows sold out, but all it would take is components, money, and persuasion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heym,
Well it did, the corelokts they used were designed for 8x57 velocity, thats not just my idea its been well documented over and over again. I blew up those available 8x57 bullets in my 8mm/06 IMP and they do make a knarly mess out of a whitetail..Most gun scribes have made that notation in their scriptures...For my part, Im just passing on what Ive read more than a few times, and I believe it to be fact as it just makes since and was so in my lesser caliber.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have several wildcats based on it, and glad I bought lots of brass.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66750 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Ray, the 8x57 was only loaded by Remington with a 170 RN Corelokt. The 8mm Rem was loaded with a 185 which barely expands at 8x57 velocities and a 220 Gr Corelokt.

Since the 220 was never loaded in the 8x57, it's a stretch to say they were designed for the 8x57.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had one for a long time, probably my favorite elk rifle. 220 gr bullets work well in it. tried the 250 gr Woodleighs, but they weren't as accurate. really like the cartridge though. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
20+ years ago I bought 1,000 185 grain Remington Core Lokts that were advertised as surplus from 8mm Mag production. I think I paid $100 for them shipped. They are pure death on deer fired from my 8x57 K98k sporter. Don't worry, I didn't butcher it. It came that way ($100) with a roached barrel. I bought an excellent condition military barrel (1993) for $15 and had it installed for $50. I transferred it to a $25 SILE sporter stock from SARCO. Local 'smith had a $98 special to forge the bolt and D&T. Those days are gone for sure. Shoots 3/4 in 100yd groups all day long. I would imagine an 8mm Mag would be awesome

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an original Remington classic in 8mag with 8 boxes of factory ammo and a a couple boxes of hand loads with dies. Also a 358 STA with 60 handloads and dies. Both good condition. Also a mint Rem CDL in 35 Whelen.If anyone wants to pm me with an offer I open. Thanks, Optik1

Posts: 372 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
20+ years ago I bought 1,000 185 grain Remington Core Lokts that were advertised as surplus from 8mm Mag production. I think I paid $100 for them shipped. They are pure death on deer fired from my 8x57 K98k sporter. Don't worry, I didn't butcher it. It came that way ($100) with a roached barrel. I bought an excellent condition military barrel (1993) for $15 and had it installed for $50. I transferred it to a $25 SILE sporter stock from SARCO. Local 'smith had a $98 special to forge the bolt and D&T. Those days are gone for sure. Shoots 3/4 in 100yd groups all day long. I would imagine an 8mm Mag would be awesome

Love it!

I bought a 1000 count box of NOS 185 grainers, the one designed for 8mm Mag, a month ago. Nice looking bullets.

I will be building a 8x68 S, have all the parts, action and barrel. So the 185's should be the ticket. Also have about 300 200 Grain Nosler Partitions, so the son in law that inherits all this stuff will have a lifetime supply.

Also have the items for a 8mm Mag, maybe in the future. Just need a 8mm barrel, thinking about a Wilson that will finish to 26 or 27 inches.

Elk rifles for the Snake River Country!

Posts: 1445 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
I have and plan to again.
I had a RH Remington that I got rid of as I'm LH. I still possess all the reloading components and I own a Ruger in 330 Dakota I have no components for.

The rebarrel from Dakota to 8mm mag seems reasonable.

I'm a lefty also, I think I am going to keep an eye out for a 7 rem mag or other unwanted Ruger #1 to change up

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

Love it!

I bought a 1000 count box of NOS 185 grainers, the one designed for 8mm Mag, a month ago. Nice looking bullets.

I will be building a 8x68 S, have all the parts, action and barrel. So the 185's should be the ticket. Also have about 300 200 Grain Nosler Partitions, so the son in law that inherits all this stuff will have a lifetime supply.

Also have the items for a 8mm Mag, maybe in the future. Just need a 8mm barrel, thinking about a Wilson that will finish to 26 or 27 inches.

Elk rifles for the Snake River Country!

I bought a large batch of those bullets when Remington was pushing them out, I use them in the 8x57, 8x64, 8x68 and my 8mm Gibbs. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only one that shoots an 8mag that I know of

is; scruffy, he's gone to Africa right now for

R&R.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote