New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-06 My new caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just ordered a New Barrel for my Encore. I have had a 35 Whelen prior to this but I did not like the Rem 7600 pump. My current Encore rifle barrel in 300 WM served me well during my caribou hunts but causes severe damage to Whitetail that I hunt here in Maine. The 338-06 seemed like the perfect all around cartridge. Good knock-down power and still decent range for the clear cuts that I meander in to. I have purchased a couple of boxes of 180 gr BT. The barrel that I ordered is 24". This length carries fine in a Encore rifle since there is not an action to add another three to four inches of carrying length. Any help on possible loads will be appreciated.

Posts: 46 | Location: Maine US | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find that 4064 works the best in my 338 06 I have 27 in barrel on a98 action. I have tryed 4831 and others the 06 case just dosen't have enough cap. to use the slower powers efftively.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion I was going to try either rl-15 or IMR 4064. I will try the 4064 first. As soon as the die I ordered comes in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote with p dog on this one. for this size case, 4064 is the place to start. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have collected a lot of loads and put them on a spread sheet. If anyone wants it let me know.I would also like any loads you discover.

Rob

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
SS,
I've tried many powders in my .338-06 & have found IMR4320 & RL15 the best w/ the 210gr NP. So far, RL19 & IMR4350 for the 250grNP. I use WW or FC 30-06 cases & Fed. LRmatch primers. Welcome the the .338-06 club!!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the many anwsers, all thoughts, ideas, and hints are appreciated. I have had some bad news, Bullberry has a four month backlog. I must wait four months for my barrel. One good thing is I can purchase an lot of components during that time. I have purchsed some 180 gr. Nosler Bt. I am thinking about the 210 gr also. Any thoughts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob, I'd like to see that spread sheet. Email me a copy, please. Thanks - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also like a copy of that spread sheet. Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
There on the way fellas. Hope you can use them. Make sure you reduce the max loads by 10% and work up. If anyone has a load they like please send it to me so I can add the data.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can I jump in here and get a copy?...My 338-06 is sposed to be done around the end of the month....Thanks

Posts: 49 | Location: Brownsville Oregon | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rob. As soon as I get home and dig up my data I'll send it to you. Take care - Dan

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
SS,
On the Nosler 210gr, Ray has often stated that it perfoms bigger than it looks. I have only hunted w/ the 210grNP & it has always done well. The only bullet I have ever recovered was from a big Kudu bull, shot 1/4 to me, about 125yds. The bullet stopped behind the last rib, opp. side & weighed 168gr, perfectly mushroomed. I think a 250gr would have exited on the same shot. I like the trajectory of the 210gr though & it seems to do well @ the 06 velocity. It also happens to be the most accurate bullet in my .338-06, shading the 200gr BT by about 1/2". Good luck w/ your project.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote