THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Warne horizontal rings - anyone using them?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warne horizontal rings - anyone using them?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
Anyone using either Warne Mountain Tech or Warne Maxima Horizontal rings? Would be interested in feedback whether positive or not positive experiences from anyone who has actually used them.

I have used Warne vertically split rings, but dont like them. Just wondering if I should consider the different horizontal rings they offer.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Any normal rings - where the bottom half sits on the base, and the top mounts from the top - should be fine.

I don't like the silly ones where one has to clamp the two half from the side.

Whoever came up with that silly idea must be nuts.

We get an incredible variety of mounts here - with names I have never heard of before.

Some are very good.

Some are just junk,

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66816 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I really like my Warne Mountain Tech rings. They aren't a lightweight option, but I got them on a scope so the price was right. They are built really solid. I ended up setting them on a 20moa rail for my dads plinking 6.5 Creedmoor Bergara B14 HMR. To me the Mountain Tech rings look better on a rifle over the vertical split rings. I also like having the scope in the bottom ring and setting everything up (instead of fumbling with both halves of the vertical split Warne plus the divider in the bottom of the ring halves)

Most of my hunting rifles have either the Warne vertical split rings or Leupold Std base/rings. I just got my first set of Talley 1pc lightweights but haven't been to the range in a few months

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Can't lap his vertical rings. That's not good.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the Warne rings. However, if you are using a modern 1" alloy scope, take care not to bend it. Also, even with image-movement scopes (with constantly centred reticles) the reticle should begin and stay near the optical centre to avoid reflexions from the erector tube and misses related to parallax.

Those issues can be approached using windage-adjustable mounts, shims and by lapping rings but I prefer Burris Signature rings. They have Nylon-like inserts that swivel like ball-joints, to remove strain from those whimpy tubes, until you tighten the ring screws. In the event the rings don't align your scope reasonably well with bullet impact, Burris also sells eccentric inserts to straighten it up.

Sorry if that sounds like I work for Burris - far from it. In fact I rue its founder's part at Redfield in progressing the decadence that is the scope world today.

Posts: 4922 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Can't lap his vertical rings. That's not good.

You won't need to lap Warne's, I have swapped dozen's of scope around from different gun's and Warne would be the only one that doesn't mark your scope. I used to go through all that lapping bullshit with the Leupold junk but quit a long time ago. Burris rings work decent if you like horizontal rings, no lapping required.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest replacing the lever rings on Warnes with heavier springs if your rings fit on the bolt side..I almost got et by a varmint charge when recoil bounced the lever enough to make working the bolt upwards, did it again with a Hyena, so went to the electricians tape hold the levers in place..got home and went to Talleys for most of my Win and Mausers...Gun was a .338 Mauser..Move levers to the other side requires shortening the levers to clear the bolt release..I use low rings and bases on my hunting rifles..but thats another posting subject..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have nothing negative to say about the Maxima's. Have ran a set on a 30-06 and an 8mm rem mag that was way to brutal for me to tolerate and ended up selling. Had an ~17-18oz scope on it if i remember correctly. Do not over tighten, highly recommend evenly torquing the screws while making a X pattern with the screws.

Posts: 53 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 29 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I have Mountain Tech rings on one rifle. Nice quality but not exactly mountain rifle weight.

Maxima rings are my go-to most of the time. Neither seem prone to leave ring marks.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen a lot of overlapped scope rings!!! that had to replace...MOst scope rings work if properly installed and therein lies the problem..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote