Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 M17
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Thanks to Phil Shoemaker, who sent these pics to Rikl, who sent them to me, I can show you what is most likely the nicest full stocked M17 in 9.3x62 ( 22" barrel ) you will ever see....exceptional workmanship by Lon Paul....

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I acquired the rifle with one of the old Fajen mannlicher stocks with a tall, rollover cheekpiece, tight grip and chambered for the 30-06. I originally considered having it rebored and rechambered to 375 H&H until Lon saw it and asked to take it to his shop. He recommended sending it to Danny Peterson at Cut rifle barrels in Prescott to be rebored to 9.3x62, and while Danny had it Lon applied his artistic genius to the stock.
With either the Lyman peep or an old Leupold 3X scope it makes a pretty handy rifle. I use it more in the spring, when shots are likely to be further and the leaves are off the pucker brush. In the fall I still feel more secure with my 458

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....and with a Rigby...

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the fall I still feel more secure with my 458

In view of the fact that that anything that comes at you out of the bush in your neighbourhood is almost the size of a small car and brandishing a lot of sharp pointy bits, I consider that a wise policy. But I do love that Enfield!

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
In the past 40 years I have killed a lot of bears with quite a few calibers and can honestly say I have never noticed any difference between the 9.3x62 and the 375 H&H

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nice to see those photos up again. Love a nice 1917.

I really like the lines and subdued wood in that stock. Given the size of the action it doesn't in any way look overly heavy. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
In the past 40 years I have killed a lot of bears with quite a few calibers and can honestly say I have never noticed any difference between the 9.3x62 and the 375 H&H

In the same time span I have killed a lot of bears that had been shot withe a 375 H&H. A guide goes into a shooting knowing exactly where his bullets have to hit! Some hunters are a bit excited and welcome the assistance. For fall brown bears an over 40 cal makes a lot of sense when you are often very close.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree I doubt anyone could tell the difference in the 9.3x62 and a 375 H&H...One would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a 286 gr. bullet at 2500 FPS and a 300 gr. bullet at 2500 FPS which is the two loads I have shot a number of buffalo, Hippo, Eland and other PG with. Both are excellent choices for anything up to and including elephant..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote