333 Jeffery
404 Jeffery (Oberndorf Magnum Mauser)
303 Brit (Martini)
350 Rigby (Oberndorf Magnum Mauser)
400 Whelen (Springfield 1903)
425 WR (Model 70 Winchester Classic)
300 HH (Pre-64 Model 70 Winchesdter)
10.75x68 (Oberndorf Mauser)

I also have a LH Ruger 77 in .358 Norma Magnum, rebored from 7mm Remington Magnum. I'm using it to train myself to operate a bolt action left handed from the shoulder.

The fact that I don't care much for Rugers perhaps has to do that I once had an encounter with Bill Ruger when I found him to be rude, arrogant and impolite. Maybe it was just a bad day for him, but I will never know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 h and h would be interesting as well

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Thanks ColoradoMatt!!

Wow, what a cool surprise! 35 Whelen!! dancing

Once again, I am wrong, it's not the 30-06.

Glad I didn't take up fortune telling as a vocation...

Well, if it turns out my dealer is full of prunes, which in turn would make me full of prunes, I might have to move to Gilligan's island for the rest of my life! sofa

If it turns out that they build ‘06s, instead, I won’t be disappointed. It may be boring, but it’s a wonderful kind of boring!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
xusa
You are truly living the dream when it comes to guns. I am sure in many other ways too. I hope to be as full of good taste and guns like you some day.

quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Uncommon chamberings that might or will shoehorn in
318 WR
333 Jeffery
404 Jeffery
400 Whelen
303 Brit
350 Rigby
400 Whelen
425 WR
300 HH
10.75x68

Of this list I would like to see

318 WR
333 Jeffery
404 Jeffery
350 Rigby
400 Whelen
425 WR
10.75x68

I would think would be bad ass

333 Jeffery
404 Jeffery
425 WR
10.75x68

Selfishly I would like to see

350 Rigby
400 Whelen

Of your list I already have:

318 WR (FN Mauser)
333 Jeffery
404 Jeffery (Oberndorf Magnum Mauser)
303 Brit (Martini)
350 Rigby (Oberndorf Magnum Mauser)
400 Whelen (Springfield 1903)
425 WR (Model 70 Winchester Classic)
300 HH (Pre-64 Model 70 Winchesdter)
10.75x68 (Oberndorf Mauser)

I also have a LH Ruger 77 in .358 Norma Magnum, rebored from 7mm Remington Magnum. I'm using it to train myself to operate a bolt action left handed from the shoulder.

The fact that I don't care much for Rugers perhaps has to do that I once had an encounter with Bill Ruger when I found him to be rude, arrogant and impolite. Maybe it was just a bad day for him, but I will never know.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve never been a big fan of the 35 calibers, but I would love a 358 Norma or a 350 Rigby.

35 Whelens are not difficult to find. On the other hand, The Rigby and Norma in 35 are not easy to find.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this thread proves that there's little chance to get consensus of 100 folks, but I would love to buy/own an AR special on this kind of rifle.

I'd want the long, thin profile barrel and a heavy medium caliber like 338-06 or 35 Whelen or the 9.3x62 or 375-06 or 400 Whelen. Something like that. Should probably just find one of the Lipsey 9.3x62's, but the AR group buy is kind of a neat idea. BTW, you guys really think the stock conformation makes these kick way more than Remingtons or Winchesters? Or is it just that there's no real recoil pad on it, just a thin red rubber band to keep the rifle from slipping off your shoulder?

Something to keep in mind on choosing caliber is that that they seem to have the same barrel profile for all calibers, so the 6.5x55 is noticeably heavier than the 9.3x62.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How much cheaper would a factory made dead cartridge rifle be than say a semi custom with a donor? About twice as much? A good way to save money if enough people can agree.

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Among the “dead” classic African cartridges, the only two that really seem remotely doable are the 318 and 10.75x68, given the action size and rimless case restrictions. Perhaps a pole could be focused on these two.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Something to keep in mind on choosing caliber is that that they seem to have the same barrel profile for all calibers, so the 6.5x55 is noticeably heavier than the 9.3x62.

The same barrel profile is used - the early RSM was available in 270 and 458 -- it was a TANK in 270, as it did use the same profile ...

why? tooling and stock fitment.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:

The same barrel profile is used - the early RSM was available in 270 and 458 -- it was a TANK in 270, as it did use the same profile ...

why? tooling and stock fitment.

The Lipsey’s exclusive Africans use a much thinner barrel than the other Africans. Mine has a .563” muzzle diameter and is quite thin overall. It’s on the thin side for 9.3mm, but it works.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
You are right Matt, people are forgetting that Ruger will not Open Up an action by removing metal, just a'int gonna happen. But you did forget the 303, easily doable!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Is there any reason the 400 Whelen can’t be done?
Or single stack 425WR?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No reason he 400W cannot be done. Except nobody but the AR 400 Whelen club believes the 400 Whelen will properly headspace. This myth has taken over the majors.

Superior ammo does load headstamped brass for the 400Whelen. So, Ruger and Hornady could reverse engineer from Superior. I do not think Ruger or Hornady would do so even if a hundred people said where do we send the check.

Same think with the 425 WR. The perceived issues with the case would put the stump on it.

Please note I said perceived case issues.

The 318 and .333 Jeffery are most likely candidates for resurrection.

If we are speculating on future Lipsey runs, then brass available from the majors most be available already.

Nosler/Norma already makes .338/06 brassand any major could quickly micro economics of changing or adding to a line of production not withstanding.

If you want something old and dead, best get in the phone in mass. Maybe mass email Nolser and Hornady to make brass.

Other possibilities from the days gone by 9x57; 303 Brit (majors load it); 9.3x66/370sako (Federal still seasonal runs it all but dead yes modern); 358 Win; 264 Winchester (should use a 26 inch barrel); 220 Swift (majors still make brass and seasonal runs I would want a 26 inch barrel);

Oh, Oh, Oh! 300 Savage.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 400 Whelen would have to be standardized by SAAMI before Ruger would consider it.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
35 Newton

Posts: 75 | Location: Maine | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would love a pair of 35 and 40 Newtons. Ruger brass works to form them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love a pair of 35 and 40 Newtons. Ruger brass works to form them.

Yep

Posts: 75 | Location: Maine | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about a 22LR or 22 MAG?

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
What about a 22LR or 22 MAG?

Or perhaps another run of the Ruger African in 223 they did a while ago?

I'd like another one!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we are asking for non traditional Safari calibers and 22 specifically, I would push forward the 220 Swift, but with 26 inch barrel.

Nice tie in to Model 70 pre 64 history.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
21" 358 winchester, stainless, no brake

I want them to do the stainless RSI in .358W

Or a SS RLS in .358W
This is one I put together in .308W

Posts: 160 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
If we are asking for non traditional Safari calibers and 22 specifically, I would push forward the 220 Swift, but with 26 inch barrel.

Nice tie in to Model 70 pre 64 history.

Interesting suggestion. Would you be happy LHeym500 with a rimmed cartridge such as the 220 Swift in a bolt rifle? I know it's been done before. Just curious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not the master, but I have always read the Swift as being semi rimmed. I see he African as my generations Model 70 of yore. The 220 Swift was an original chambering for the Pre 64 Model 70.

The Swift was based on the 6mm Lee Case.

I would buy one for my father in law.

I have no use for the 280AI in the African platform. But it has been a hot round as of late. I guess that 280AI market is still has heat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply LHeym500!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d pay an extra $200 if they could do something about the bolt handle!

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CM: I like the bolt handle on the Ruger.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would love an after market straight bolt handle for the Ruger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm fine with the bolt handle just wish they didn't remove so much wood for it.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm ambivalent on the bolt handle.

I like the Ruger bolt, but I equally like the straight bolts on my Dakotas and CZs that Wayne has made for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is cast integrally the bolt body/sleeve, so you would have to have an after market bolt sleeve/body.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

the bolt is a cast product -- welding would be hit or miss -- and i love the ruger action ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Ruger 77 action and the bolt handle, especially blued. I like the thinner profile barrel on the Lipsey African models, too.

Still would be on board with a heavy medium. I think we ought to avoid picking too obscure a caliber so that more folks will/can be on-board.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kynoch produces 318 Ammo using Woodleigh bullets. M.W. Reynolds is currently out of stock. Midway used to sell it, but shows now as discontinued. If a dead caliber can be resurrected, I think the 318WR is the best and/or most logical choice. From a recreational shooters perspective, I like the fact that cup and core .338” bullets can be swaged down to .330” and brass is easily made from ‘06.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superior loads 318 WR.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would love to see this removable stock set up...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love to see this removable stock set up...

That removable stock idea is really cool, indeed, but let get them to do the caliber first!

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 400 Whelen. Let's do it. I still want to do mine on my FN. I have some dies. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
If they can’t make a 350 Rigby, better be a 333 Jeffery or 318 Westley Richards I guess.... Wait, how about something non African in our African rifle? Yeah! That’s it!

https://revivaler.com/318-west...ards-magazine-rifle/

I guess to get what you want, gotta go vintage like in the link above or custom

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
I’d pay an extra $200 if they could do something about the bolt handle!

beer

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Put me down for that 400 Whelen! I would settle for a 404 Jeff

Posts: 10 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: 31 January 2020Reply With Quote