New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Norma Mag to ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 358 Norma Magnum M98 rifle that I'm considering updating. What calibers other than 358 Norma Magnum should I consider today?

I'm not really into hypervelocity boutique calibers and want to stay close to the 358 Norma Magnum in overall performance. Factory ammo is desirable but not a requirement. With Norma ammunition running about ~$80/box, that should open up a lot of calibers that aren't true wildcats.

I want something reasonable for Elk or big bears or, a trip to Africa for plains game. I have a sweetheart 7x57 M70 for the light stuff and have big bruisers for the nasty things so, this one needs to fit between a 7 Mauser and something like a 416 Rigby or similar calibers.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
How about .358 Norma, and handload? It is one of my favorite rounds. If not that, then .338 Winchester is an obvious choice, and should require nothing more than a rebarrel. Much as I like the .358 Norma, I have used both and there is not a whole lot of practical difference between the two performance-wise. Considering bullet weight the .358 Norma has an advantage at the upper end and the .338 has the advantage at the lower end.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 338 WM would be super easy to rebarrel to but, I'm a little partial to larger diameter options.

I'm in the process of getting a 404J as the 416 Rigby just hasn't appealed to me with its large and long case with huge powder capacity.

I've considered at various times 30-06 derivates like the 35 Whelen AI and wildcats in the .375/.400 diameters.

With my shoulder rebuild, I'm trying to keep rifle weight reasonable but, on the high side with a caliber that gives me a "shove" instead of a "smack".

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a LH Ruger 77 rebored and rechambered to .358 Norma Magnum for the express purpose of practicing bolt operation with reduced loads. I have shot right handed all my life, but had to change when I developed a vision problem in my right eye and can no longer aim with it.

The .358 caliber lends itself to such practice well since there is such a profusion of .357-.358 bullets, both jacketed and unjacketed, that are perfect for the purpose. One problem with the .338 is the limited choice of bullets. I make my cases simply by expanding the necks of 7mm Remington Magnum brass, available from several suppliers of once fired cartridge cases. All in all, an inexpensive proposition.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If your M98 is already a magnum bolt face, you've eliminated any -06 based round, especially when you consider it will take an entirely new bottom metal to accommodate them.

If 338 is too small and you already have a 404 on the way, the only logical choice is a 375/338. The 375 'Taylor" most people call it. Easy to get brass and bullets.

but the 358 Norma has lots more class in my book. I've met way more people looking to go TO a Norma than away from it.

What's the specs on your Mauser?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I also like the 358 in that action length but if staying with the bolt and mag box you have one caliber that always stood out for me is the
425 Express, it is based on the 300 Win. Mag. case, or a wildcat like the 375 Taylor, 9.3/338., 8mm/338.
Unless of coasre you are open to longer cartridges that would require action and mag changes.
bb

Posts: 394 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Changing the bolt and mag box is too much. Changing the action itself is definitely too much. With those three and a rebarrel, you really are talking about a totally new rifle as the stock also has to go.

I have a slight preference for a beltless cartridge but, something like a Remington Short UltraMagnum trimmed to fit the action length might be an option, especially if doesn't require a lot of case trimming. Hmmm ... I need to relook at some SAUM options and maybe necking up something like the 7SAUM.

Best Regards,
Sid

Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'd keep at 358 Norma and handload. And the Factory Norma is quite fast and accurate out of my 358 Norma - 2,780 fps .75" group. Though, I handload, but always buy a box of factory ammo for sighting (if the brass matches what I hand load).

I'd do a 375 Ruger if you don't want to do any magazine/bolt work and want factory ammo.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .375 Ruger fits your bolt face and magazine without any alteration. Don't know what factory ammunition costs, but it is surely less expensive and more available than the scarce .358 Norma.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a Wildcat there is the 375 Ruger-358, or 338WM-358.

The 338WM-358 has been halfway legitimized by Hill Country Rifles. Redding has died for both the Ruger 358 and the 358 on the 338 WM.

The 338WM-358 does nothing and is a sister to the 350 Norma, but you would have 338WM brass.

Most practical appears to be the 338WM.

I love 35s loaded like they should be the 375 does not outclass them on equal sized cases.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I'd keep at 358 Norma and handload. And the Factory Norma is quite fast and accurate out of my 358 Norma - 2,780 fps .75" group. Though, I handload, but always buy a box of factory ammo for sighting (if the brass matches what I hand load).

I'd do a 375 Ruger if you don't want to do any magazine/bolt work and want factory ammo.

Yup, the .375 fits nicely in the mag box with maybe a little tweaking.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You already have a very versatile and powerful cartridge; why would you want to change it?

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
If you want to change from a truly great chambering, there is only one way to go and that is up! I grew up with a 375 Chapfield/Talyor on a Mauser MarkX that my dad built. A really great chambering and efficient! Shoot 250-270 grain billets and that fits right in between the 160gr 7mm and the 400gr 416.

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The choice is easy, make it a STA that Layne Simpson perfected. With it you have the best .358 available. Bullets from 225 grains up to 310. The 270 gr. Northfork being the ultimate for game in dangerous animal country. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old 375/358 Norma. Velocities can slightly exceed the factory 375 H&H. Since brass is not readily available, necking up 338 Win. Mag. brass is easy but the necks are a hair short. Since it's not a frequent shooter, I don't have to worry about throat erosion and worry about trimming brass which I hate to do.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im a .338 fan, but I wouldn't even consider changing a 358 Norma to any other caliber..I wouldn't hesitate t0 shoot elephants or Hippos with a 358 and proper bullets..If I didn't feel good with a 358 then Id go with a 375 Ruger or a 416 Rem., but why? when the 358 Norma has proven itself on Dangerous game as has the .338, but the 358 is the better of the two for that IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too would not change a 358 Norma to anything else.

Just buy another rifle of your caliber choice. It is very difficult to find a 358 Norma rifle these days. You may be sorry after you convert it.

If you don't want the Norma mag. anymore, sell it to fund the rifle caliber you do want.

Offer it for sale here on AR. Heck, I may be interested in it!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is definitely NOT going up for sale. It is a very old, slightly tired, rifle that is starting to need a cosmetic surgeon and a physical trainer to whip things back into shape.

The Norma has a lot of attractiveness and, when the Pandemic craziness effects on reloading components subside, I hope to play with some handgun bullets for powder puff loads for nieces and nephews to play with.

Being such a light and handy rifle, when it comes time to clean up the throat or chamber, I'm thinking I will want to rebore the barrel. So, this takes me to cleaning up the chamber at a minimum but, going with a more standard bore size is attractive as well.

The Ruger caliber options are really attractive though, the 338WM Chapman options are attractive too.

Best Regards,
Sid

Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think one can go wrong with either a .338 Win.or a 358 Norma. The 338 wins in NA and the 358 wins in Africa is pretty close, but not written in stone, just makes since to me! and never overlook the 375 Ruger, its my latest go to elk rifle..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to justify buying a 358 Norma mag when Ruger brought out the 375 Ruger round: Bigger bullet, Heavier bullets, Same case length and head size, No belt, American factory ammo at pretty much cheaper cost.

I bought two Ruger Africans in 375 Ruger when they added the barrel sling swivel and just before they added the muzzle brake. I said to myself, 'No need for a 358 NM now'. I then bought a 358 NM years later. Now, I want to have a custom built 358 NM.

There is no logic to a gun nut's thinking. It's simply a matter of buying something that brings one pleasure.

If the two rounds sound too close to own concurrently, we would probably need to examine why some of us own a 270 Win. & a 280 Rem. I am guilty...............but happy. Big Grin

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Sid, I did not see where you mentioned the platform for your .358 Norma, but if it is a Winchester or Remington, you can seat out the bullets to get more performance. I did this with my Winchester 70- swapping out the bolt stop, mag box, and follower. I am not sure how you will beat a great cartridge like the .358 Norma. Mine will shoot 250 grain bullets as fast and flat as any 30-06. I have killed bull elk at 450 yds. with my .358 Norma. It is my go to elk rifle. Handloading is the best route- you can use .338 brass (or .375 H&H brass) and shoot heavy or light bullets. Not sure how you will materially improve on the .358NM.

You can easily buy a new rifle to scratch your itch- I do it all the time.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted the world over, used many calibers and thats part of the fun..I found myself graduating to the 30-06 more and more and ended up hunting more game with it than any other caliber, and shot everything but elephant and Hippo with it.
but I would never settle for one caliber, I still have a .375, 8mm-06 Ackley, 30-30s, 25-35, 250-3000 and a 7x57, for big game, more than I need and the 06 will do anything these calibers will do if I do my part. If I could only hunt with one gun it would be the 30-06..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
One can’t do much better than the 358 Norma.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
One can’t do much better than the 358 Norma.

My 1st day as an assistant guide with Ray McNutt on Misery Creek gave me the 35 itch that is still hanging on. Ray had a 1903 in 358 Norma Magnum stoked with 275 gr Hornady RN that had seen some mighty action. I've never been without one until recently when my brothel in law killed a dandy brown bear here and traded me out of it in a weakend moment, I've since had JES rebore my 30 Gibbs to 35 Gibb's and all is well.
My 358 Norma has finished a lot of parties that were started with 375's and 416's!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Waterrat,
I have one box of the 275 Hornady RN that I will never use. Be glad to send them your way if you promise to shoot a bear out of the garden with them.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Fury,,
That would be great,,our place here a brown bear crossing and (most) behave,, we have resident permits so our kills are perfectly legal. I'll PM my address. thanks Jim

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to add to this discussion, if you were going to have a .358 built instead of buying one, what components would you use.

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
A model 70 Classic or pre-64
and 358 Norma's brass is out there but if you can't find it 338's work fine too. 250 Speer Hot Core's shoot like a lazer for plinking in mine and step up for hunting bears and moose.