THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Sako AV in 300 Win Mag rebarrel to different caliber??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako AV in 300 Win Mag rebarrel to different caliber??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old Sako AV action in 300 Win Mag that I never use. I was thinking of having it rebarreled to a different caliber. I really don't know anything about this. I'd like a caliber that would minimize headaches. So I'm guessing I'd need a caliber with the same rim diameter 0.532 inches??? Also I'm guessing I would need a caliber no longer than the 300 Win Mag, 3.34 inches??

If I go with a smaller caliber, would these work? 264 Win Mag, 270 Weatherby or 257 Weatherby???

Would the Nosler calibers (26 & 28) be too fat??

For a bigger caliber would a 358 Norma Magnum be doable??

Thanks in advance for advice.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
All of the cartridges you've mentioned should work with the existing .300 Win. Mag. bolt face--the various belted magnums and the newer Nosler cartridges. The magazine length of the Sako AV action is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.40", so that cartridge OAL shouldn't be a problem with any of them either.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I rebarreled a pre-Garcia L61R in 7mm Rem Mag to 358 Norma mag. Just a barrel change is needed. I went with a factory contour barrel from Lilja, but got in 26".

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I rebarreled a pre-Garcia L61R in 7mm Rem Mag to 358 Norma mag. Just a barrel change is needed. I went with a factory contour barrel from Lilja, but got in 26".

Pics here: 358 Norma

Duplicated the factory stock.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The magazine length of the Sako AV action is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.40"

The A-V magazine is actually about 3.6". A "full length" belted magnum like a .300 or .375 H&H or any of those based on the .300 WBY will fit.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
Oh, is that right? Sorry; my mistake. I measured the mag length on my 85 .270 win. at 3.40" and thought that would be also true on an AV. Were there two "long" AV actions--one for magnum cartridges?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me your on a downhill run, The 300 win will do everything and more than the mentioned rounds as to trajectory and kill as well as anything in the real world...The .338 and 358 Norma will give you more on paper, but in the field its damn hard to beat a 300 magnum of anykind..and you would probably be ahead to just sell it and buy what you want IMO...The other option is a rebore at half the cost of a rebarreo as a rule. The headaches won't go away with those larger calibers, you can load the 300 down to a 308 or 30-30 if you handload.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Were there two "long" AV actions--one for magnum cartridges?

All magazines I've seen for both standard and magnum bolt face Sakos starting with the L61R through the L691 measure about 3.6". When the changeover to the M75 occurred I think that Sako may have cut the magazine on the standards to about 3.4". I once owned a M75 in 7mm RUM which had a magazine of about 3.75, IIRC, but that magazine was probably just made for the RUM series. However, once you get past the AV in chronology (about 1998 or so) my knowledge of the later Sakos gets pretty sketchy.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Texas Blue Devil,

My opinion is the Sako AV is the best factory produced rifle of all time. My two Sako AVs will print .25" groups. I'd go mano a mano with either of my Sako AVs against any factory produced rifle and custom made rifles, too.

My advice is keep it chambered for .300 Win Mag, assuming it's the original chambering. Get range time in with it, and my money's on it becoming your favorite big game rifle.

If your Sako AV shoots like I'm sure it will, it'll be one heck of a shooter. And never, ever sell a shooter rifle.

Best of luck to you and your most excellent rifle.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the calibers you mention recoil about as much as the 300..If you want less caliber then sell it for some really good money and buy a smaller caliber like a 257, 243, 250/3000, 7-08 or 7x57 or whatever, even a 270 or 30-06 depending on what you intend to shoot with it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stick with your Sako AV in .300 WM.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Late to the party, but if it were mine I'd go with the 358 Norma Mag, just because I always wanted one and it has a certain je ne sais quois the 338 doesn't have.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like those older Sako’s too! From the early 90’s (L61’s) and older. I got pretty banged up in a vehicle crash about a year or so ago and I am still unable to shoot any of my bigger rifles. I would go with a .264 Win Mag with a 25-26” barrel and shoot 130 grain Accubonds or if it will feed a .257Weatherby with the same length barrel. For me those two choices recoil less than any of the .300 Mags.

Posts: 654 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I Have said for years that the best Medium Bore was the .358 STA. Been shooting it for years and have shot the .375 H&H extensively also. When i went to Africa I took the .416 Rem for the big stuff and will the next time. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2340 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote