THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Mauser reintroduce the 7x57 in some of its rifles
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser reintroduce the 7x57 in some of its rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Mauser are have reintroduced the 7x57 in some of its rifles.

https://www.mauser.com/uk/MAUSER-18-Standard/80112498

Now I know Bell shot many elephants with this calibre using long solid round nosed bullets.

Today with the proliferation of monolithic solid copper bullets would he choose one of these instead. Some like the Peregrine VRG3?

Discuss

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
interesting the 7x64 is gone ...

Posts: 1729 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, 9.3x62mmm...

Me like...

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8x57 and 6.5x55 also.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
8x57 is not a Mauser cartridge. In spite of the fact that everyone calls it the 8mm Mauser.

Posts: 17090 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
8x57 is not a Mauser cartridge. In spite of the fact that everyone calls it the 8mm Mauser.

the same for the 9.3x62 at least in canada they called the 9.3x62 mauser ...

Posts: 1729 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Everyone calls it the 9.3x62 Mauser, but it was developed by Otto Bock.
If Mauser had invented it, it would have a .473 case base.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Do my eyes decieve me...there is no claw extractor.

Don't know who copied who but that bolt looks very similar to a Ruger American bolt except for the two ejector buttons and the stock bed
ding/recoil lug system is very similar to the Tikka.

Also, apppears they are not importing the 9,3x62 or the 7x57to the USA.

This from the Mauser USA website.

CALIBER:
Standard: .243 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, .270 Win, .30-06

Magnum: 6.5 PRC, 7mm Rem, .300 Win

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good observation; they have a bolt face sliding extractor like the Savage/post 64 Model 70. Perfectly adequate for everyone except those who do not know how to operate bolt action rifles. Which is why Mauser invented the claw in the first place. Germany saw no need for it for ten years after it was produced for Turkey; their solders were well trained. But that's off topic.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well..for what it's worth..Rigby makes a REAL Mauser in 275 Rigby..without plastic, aluminum. and other precious metals (grin)

Posts: 3447 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have always thought it should have been named ICMME instead of CRF.

ICMME = I Changed My Mind Ejection

Every Mauser, Kimber, and Pre-64 Mod 70, and Model 70 classic I have owned the cartridge has not completely released from the mag box until the front portion of round was well past the rear of the reciever ring just like on my Rem 700s. In other words, the cartridge was only going to go one place an that is into the chamber.

The only real advantage I ever saw with a CRF (aka ICMME) was if I chnaged mind, I could remove the round without having to tip the muzzle up and role the rifle to the right to get the round out.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True; good acronym. We forget that these rifles we all like to shoot and hunt with, were not developed for fun. They were strictly for combat use. And for conscription armies, (Turkish) (Mauser had an exclusive contract with them at the time) who were quickly trained, they wanted a shooting platform that did not require any thought process to load and shoot. German and European tactical doctrine called for magazine feed ONLY, (never load a single round), and a system wherein, if you did "change your mind", or withdraw the bolt before turning it down, you would not crate a jam, like the push feed rifles will.
Since the German Army was well trained, they did not see the need for such a thing as CRF until 1898.
But for us modern sportsmen; all we need to do is train with our equipment and we will be fine.
The notion of "crf" for hunting, is fallacy (if you know how to operate a bolt action rifle correctly). And remember, the only thing the US Army has with CRF is the Browning M2 50 cal.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I have always thought it should have been named ICMME instead of CRF.

ICMME = I Changed My Mind Ejection

Every Mauser, Kimber, and Pre-64 Mod 70, and Model 70 classic I have owned the cartridge has not completely released from the mag box until the front portion of round was well past the rear of the reciever ring just like on my Rem 700s. In other words, the cartridge was only going to go one place an that is into the chamber.

The only real advantage I ever saw with a CRF (aka ICMME) was if I chnaged mind, I could remove the round without having to tip the muzzle up and role the rifle to the right to get the round out.

Or a better acronym would be " If I got scared and flustered"
It is amazing what a person under stress will subconsciously do. And that is why training and "muscle memory" is so important!

The first deer I ever killed as a youngster was taken with an old 30-40 Krag. I ran into it at close range and got off one shot before the rifle was empty! After I saw the deer was dead I went to pick up my brass and there was one empty and 4 loaded rounds on the ground!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4191 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Neat caliber, the 7X57, my favorite. Bought a Mauser M12 and had to take a '06. No 7X57's available.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
American hunters are spoiled and untrained. Come out to our range and I will show you all you want to see. You won't like it, and the sad/interesting thing is, they still manage to kill game.
Too bad about the 7mm on the Mauser, but a new barrel will easily fix that.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I considered getting one of those in 6.5 prc.. for a minute. Plastic magazine, plastic trigger guard, plastic stock. Bleh. Im ordering a barrel for another yugo build instead. And I know that 10 years from now it will still give excellent service.

Posts: 10126 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The 7X57 is an incredible cartridge. The only "improvement" (if you want to call it that) was rechambering mine to an Ackley Improved. Kinda splitting hairs really but gilding the lilly nontheless.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I considered getting one of those in 6.5 prc.. for a minute. Plastic magazine, plastic trigger guard, plastic stock. Bleh. Im ordering a barrel for another yugo build instead. And I know that 10 years from now it will still give excellent service.

$500 gun at euro optics - you get what you pay for. Damn good value for $500 but don’t expect too much German labor or CNC machining for $500.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Model M12 barrels are sweated on if that is the right terminology. A change may be unobtainium. No spin off, spin on threads like a 98.
quote:
American hunters are spoiled and untrained. Come out to our range and I will show you all you want to see. You won't like it, and the sad/interesting thing is, they still manage to kill game.
Too bad about the 7mm on the Mauser, but a new barrel will easily fix that.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
The 7X57 is an incredible cartridge. The only "improvement" (if you want to call it that) was rechambering mine to an Ackley Improved. Kinda splitting hairs really but gilding the lilly nontheless.

I'm going in just the opposite direction. One issue I'm having with my "improved" 257 is fireforming. The sales pitch is that you CAN shoot factory ammo, as if that is a positive, but I don't buy factory ammo. So IMO you have 2 options. 1) work up two loads to use, 1 with standard brass (which makes no sense at all) and one improved. Or 2) waste components and time fireforming. 2020 So Im building a standard 257. Now I wish I would have just done that the first time around.
I like my 7X57 just the way it is. It is pretty much my favorite deer rifle. But maybe a new 257 will have me re-thinking that.

Posts: 10126 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a 257 AI as well + have no issues with fireforming; like you I don't buy factory ammo but I have to start loading the cases at some point + that is with regular 257 Roberts. Your POI should be about the same. The only negative I can find on the AI cases + this not an absolute, is that on occasion AI cases fireformed in your chamber may not chamber in another.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tHAT AIN'T YO DADDDYS MAUSER!

Over the years Ive always had a custom 98 Mauser in 7x57, 99% were small ring Brnos mod 21 or 22, Ive used them on deer and elk, and a couple of trips to Africa, gentle recoil, kind to the ear, and seem to kill out of proportion to the size..
Just a damn fine caliber in nice rifles, without giving up the nostalgia..My present is a RJ Renner Ruger 77 light weight, schnable forend and side panels iron sights and a Leupold 2.5X Alaskan.. I picked it up for $650, two years years ago. Turnes down some offers up to $2500 for it but passed, Its a beauty and shoots pin holes..Renner does good work and he has a plan thats working He will customize your factory gun with all the bells and whistle for about 2 grand using the factory wood....He has a web page with pics..

Ive tried most all the bullets offererd adn the loads..settled on H414 in beyond most book max in these good guns and like the 130 gr. Speer for deer size game and the 160 gr. Nosler partition for larger stuff, and stuck with that..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Got a Brno 22F custom with the factory barrel in 7X57. Love it. Been shooting Hornady 156 grain aluminum tips in front of H4831. Shoots 1.5" groups. May have to try the H414 someday when my 4831 and 4831SC runs out unless it likes RL17. Got some of that somewhere or is it RL15? Whatever. Happy shootin'.

Oh by the way, the new M18 has barrel threads. Not for me. Just an FYI.

CB

one of us
posted Hide Post
got about 40 pounds left over from WW2, and its clean and a great powder, so when you run out we can make a trade!! This is IMO the best powder to come down the road, BUT you should weigh every charge so I went to Alliant RL-17, 15, 19 and 22 for my calibers..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
My pet 7X57 deer load is not far from Ray's. I like the Speer 145 gn BTSP with W-760. Excellent Mulie medicine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Well..for what it's worth..Rigby makes a REAL Mauser in 275 Rigby..without plastic, aluminum. and other precious metals (grin)

For what it's worth there never was a cartridge named the ".275 Rigby." In Britain they called the 7x57 a .275, Rigby had nothing to do with it.

Sometime later some American gunwriters seemed to have mistaken the ".275 Rigby-Mauser" as being a Rigby cartridge chambered in a Mauser rifle, but actually Rigby sold their rifles under the brand name "Rigby-Mauser". So its a .275 chambered in a Rigby-Mauser rifle.

This fantasy cartridge name seems to have taken the intenet by storm, to the point that the modern Rigby company believe it was one of "their" cartridges as well, and now make ammo headstamed .275 Rigby (as does Hornady.)

There is no Rigby rifle ever stamped .275 Rigby, no ammunition made by any company in 20th century headstamped or branded the .275 Rigby. (Rigby ammo in the old days was repackaged German commercial ammo - by GECO)

Rigby made .275 ammo and branded it .275 bore high velocity, and their rifles are stamped .275 Bore.

If you re-read your Bell and Corbett, the two mostly associated with the cartridge on big game, they only ever refer to it as a .275 - which is what everyone in the old days did.

It's totally a made up name, that is actually just a recent American gun writer misunderstanding.

So there is n such cartridge as the ".275 Rigby". There is just the 7x57 and the .275.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
CH

Re-written/shortened ---
Rigby should get some credit for what was initially known as Rigby's .275 which was a sporter version circa 1907-ish of the 7X57 military Mausers that fired a ball military round. They were the first to produce/publicly offer that same caliber utilizing their pointed big game bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir the 145 gr. speer is a dandy deer load..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
What? No Nosler Partitions in the mix?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Oh. Forgot to mention: The Masuer M18 has a threaded barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WEll I like Nosler partitions in any caliber from 25 cal and up, below that Accubonds are better in 6MM and down..but I don't trust 6MMs on big game as a rule..

Ive had good luck with the 7x57 and the 150 or 160 gr. Nosler partition on smallish elk and cows, mostly on depredation hunts..but Ive shot a couple of big bulls with the 7x57 in Colorado and it worked well..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everyone calls it the 9.3x62 Mauser, but it was developed by Otto Bock.
If Mauser had invented it, it would have a .473 case base.

Well, at least it was developed with use in Mauser rifles in mind. That justifies the Mauser moniker for me.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
CH

Re-written/shortened ---
Rigby should get some credit for what was initially known as Rigby's .275 which was a sporter version circa 1907-ish of the 7X57 military Mausers that fired a ball military round. They were the first to produce/publicly offer that same caliber utilizing their pointed big game bullet.

Rigby marketed their own ammunition (naming the cartridge as ".275 Bore") - but it wasn't made by them it was repackaged GECO ammo.

The earliest reference I have ever seen to the ".275 Rigby" name was a Jack O'Conner article in the 1970's, plainly he had conflated the rifle brand name with the cartridge. That may well have been where it all started - also people just believe it when they hear it, it's just so British sounding. But you will not find the name listed in any catalogue from the original Rigby company.

WDM Bell for example, once of its most famous (or notorious) users, refers to the cartridge as the .275 (or .276 )or the 7mm, all interchangably. Never once does he refer to the ".275 Rigby" in any of his books or articles, it's always the .275 or the 7mm. When he refers specifically to the rifle, it's the .275 Rigby-Mauser or the 7mm Rigby-Mauser. (The hyphen is significant - Rigby marketed their rifles under the name "Rigby-Mausers".)

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have a couple reproductions of John Rigby & Co. catalogues from the turn of the 20th century (1899 and 1901) in which they advertise their magazine rifles as "Mauser=Rigby Sporting Magazine Rifles" (1899), and "Mauser=Rigby Magazine Sporting Rifles" (1901).

Caliber (excuse me, calibre) is described in the 1899 catalogue as "7 m/m" or ".275 of an inch."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My, but all the debate and discussion about the 7x57.
I looked up the specifics of bullets and velocity and found it only slightly different from my .308.
A former military cartridge gone civilian.

Man, am I glad to have chosen the .308 WCF in my pre 64 Winchester Model 70! That is all I ever needed before getting into African DG cartridges.

Even for Africa, I stuck with American cartridges and rifles with great success. Not boring, just familiar and reliable.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
In both Turkey and Kyrgyzstan I have had guides and outfitters telling how wonderful the 308 is, and the last time I was in Zimbabwe the two PH's we shared a camp with preferred their 308's for personal use.

Cartridges like it, the 30-06, 7x57 & 6.5x55 have remained popular for good reason.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4191 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What bullet weights were they using for the .308?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who said it was ?

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
quote:

Who said it was ?

SAAMI sofa
Seriously though, 8mm Mauser = 196g at 2100fps or less where CIP 8x57IS is 2550+

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Comparing most of these, if not all, med cartridges such as the 7x57 308 30-06 270 280 and such is a waste of time, they all perform well and about the same..the next real step up is the 338 Win and up IMO.. I know! I left out the 300 AND I, will stick with that!! sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120