Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 9.3x64 Brenneke
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Brought my new custom VZ24 M98 9.3x64B up to the family property for a test run this weekend.
Shoots pleasantly open sighted with Woodleigh 320grn bullets at fifty paces.

Note the targets are being raised on the hardwood backstop Roll Eyes .

Sights set for the six o'clock hold. I will file them down as it prefer them to hit dead on.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one Adam. Mozambique 2015 I guess?? Wink

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
More likely Northern territory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely looking rifle. Truly classic.

Congratulations.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice indeed.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
That is a beauty!

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Classic rifle!.

Thanks for sharing ozzy Smiler .

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh my!! She's a beauty!!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle Adam.

Who did the engraving?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Adam. What is the forend length? if you don't mind sharing...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:

From where the action and barrel meet to the tip of the Buffalo horn tip it measures at nine and a quarter inches (23.5cm) which with the way I hold the fore-end is about 3" longer than I need it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam,

That is really gorgeous, understated and elegant.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:

From where the action and barrel meet to the tip of the Buffalo horn tip it measures at nine and a quarter inches (23.5cm) which with the way I hold the fore-end is about 3" longer than I need it.
Thank you.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brought my new custom VZ24 M98 9.3x64B up to the family property for a test run this weekend.
Shoots pleasantly open sighted with Woodleigh 320grn bullets at fifty paces.

Very nice rifle and one of the absolute premium caliber...

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
That's gorgeous!! . I like the bead to cover the group also and is how I filed mine on my 64. What velocity are you getting with the 320s ? Looked like a 24" ? barrel? I like the engraving. Just a really beautiful rifle you have there. Tho mine is set up similar yours is WAY PRETTIER!!

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Velocity's with the 320grn Woodleigh and 69grns of AR2209 powder via the Walther 24" barrel is an average of 2350fpsMV.
Shot two Boar on the weekend with it;

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
BINGO! You got it right. Beautiful form following precise function in a cutting edge caliber. You just made my cool dude list. Thanks for sharing this info and these photos with us.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle.

Good looking boar too. I like the red with black spots.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!
And BACON. that's a double win! .

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, a beautiful rifle in an exotic calibre. Expensive to feed, I should think.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Expensive to feed, I should think.

Lucky enough to have some well priced RWS kit so with the fact that the brass should last quite some time, this should not be a problem.If it is a problem it would likely mean I have used it a lot and that would be a problem I could live with. tu2

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post

"Pay more paper and laugh a lot louder" ♫

Smiler

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. I really like the 9.3x64mm - will do "all" that one needs a medium bore to do.

Can't tell from the pictures - which front sight did you use on your rifle. Really like the profile.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lovely little rifle! Thanks for sharing it with us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once the initial outlay for dies, shell holder and brass is complete. The 9.3×64 Brenneke is not much more expensive to shoot than the 62 . Brass is a little more but it's not like a prairie dog rifle. So far mine is extremely cost effective. Requiring only 1 shot for every animal I've shot with it.

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
LOVELY rifle!\
Enjoy it.

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:

Can't tell from the pictures - which front sight did you use on your rifle. Really like the profile.

The H&H type from Recknagel with the fold over night sight for this one

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I like the H&H style sight too.

I take it a .625 muzzle with a 1:12 twist?

Looks slim and trim. Have you worked up a 286 grain load yet?

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

I do prefer this ivory moon sight more though.

Not sure about the twist but it is a Walther barrel.
I have heaps of 320grn bullets so I'm not sure if I will bother with the 386grners.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

I do prefer this ivory moon sight more though.

Not sure about the twist but it is a Walther barrel.
I have heaps of 320grn bullets so I'm not sure if I will bother with the 386grners.

Filing the flat angle on the front brass bead really helps illuminate the front brass bead.....not sure "why" they don't come this way......nice set up!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can concentrate on three different objects at 3 different distances at the same time? I am impressed.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave my opinion on you filing the front sight but deleted my post after being insulted by the poster above.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:

Filing the flat angle on the front brass bead really helps illuminate the front brass bead.....not sure "why" they don't come this way......nice set up![/QUOTE]

To true tu2 , at least it is easy to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well in short that may make it more difficult to see your target.An ``illuminated`` target on the other hand is the best thing one can wish for.If you still wish to do that to your bead then it will only be brighter if the sun is above you.It will make it more difficult to see if it is to the side.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Light from the side of a sphere (or top or bopttom) will tend to illuminate the side where the light hits it the most. If the light is..say from, the side, one might "think" the center of the bead is where the bead is brightest. A flat will give a round appearinbg bead no matter where the light may come from,

Filing it at slight angle, gives the oppurtunity to gather light from the most likely source most of the time ( the sun).

tu2

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Well in short that may make it more difficult to see your target.An ``illuminated`` target on the other hand is the best thing one can wish for.If you still wish to do that to your bead then it will only be brighter if the sun is above you.It will make it more difficult to see if it is to the side.

Simply untrue and misleading

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Light from the side of a sphere (or top or bopttom) will tend to illuminate the side where the light hits it the most. If the light is..say from, the side, one might "think" the center of the bead is where the bead is brightest. A flat will give a round appearinbg bead no matter where the light may come from,

Filing it at slight angle, gives the oppurtunity to gather light from the most likely source most of the time ( the sun).

tu2

A round bead is already filed on every angle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

tu2

Best to file and then polish it!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

A round bead is already filed on every angle.

And there lies the problem. Reflection from a radius makes it less accurate to align the actual sight.