THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Kimber of Oregon vs other Kimbers

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber of Oregon vs other Kimbers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Question to the AR gaggle -

I know that Kimber has moved, reorganized and changed over the past few years. Are guns made in one of the Kimber locations any better/worse than others made in other places?

I have heard the guns made early in the Oregon plant are better than the ones made elsewhere. Ture or false or old wives tales?

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with Kimber had been a rifle from Oregon and two pistols from New York. Products from both locations left a lot to be desired.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I don't agree. The Oregon Kimber's when Jack Warne was there were very nice rifles indeed. I once had the chance to buy a Super America .270 win at a very nice price for my wife. We waffled on it for a little too long. Still kicking myself for that one.

I would take an Oregon Kimber any day over a New York one.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only in .22s. The Wife and I like our Kimber of Oregon .22s. Mine are LH, I don't think the NY ones come in LH.

Kimber made guns in Clackamas and in the end at Colton, OR.

Posts: 277 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hade a Kimber of Oregon 22 hornet. Beautiful rifle, perfect function and accurate. In a bout of stupidity, I sold it. And had a 22Lr, from Oregon. It like was was a great gun.
I bought one of the newer kimber, a Montana Version in 270 WSM. It was poor accuracy wise, before and after I sent it back to a Kimber. Sold it. My experience is a small sample, but I sure won’t buy another of the newer ones.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the two M84 Super Grade rifles built. Bought mine out of the Greg's office during one of my visits. Spectacular! It's still living it's life in its original box unfired.

Have several others that I hunt with on occasion, but they make it more often to the range just because they look as well as they shoot.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Different companies, different locations, and completely different guns. Only the names are the same.

The current Kimber company (New York) uses a totally different action for their various rifles. I've only had one and didn't have very good luck with it (although it looked nice).

The Kimber of Oregon M82 (rimfire and small centerfires) and the M84 (.222-based cartridges) were excellent rifles made to close tolerances. My .22 WMR M82 and M82 .22 Hornet are the very most accurate I've ever owned in those calibers (well, the Hornet is as accurate as my Brno ZKW 465, anyway.)

There is an active collector market for the Oregon Kimbers. There is none for the NY products.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 82 Super America and a M84 in .223, both made in Clackamas,_ great little rifles! Also had a Model 89 big game rifle that was evidently made under duress in Colton. I killed a few Cariboo with it, the rifle shot well but had some flaws I couldn't live with.
If my memory is correct our resident, rock star gunmaker designed the model 82 stock.

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and loaded for a number of NY M84s in .308 and .243. Absolutely wonderful to look at. All very ho-hum to shoot. Functional walking guns. These are all pre-accuracy gaurantee, but I wouldn't spend 14 hundred bucks on a new to see if they got better.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote