New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag or 338 win mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
between the 300 win and 338 win mag, which would you choose if it was to be your only all around scoped rifle for non dangerous game.

I trade certain firearms pretty regularly, and I'm getting the itch to trade my 300 for a 338 in the same rifle. Realisticly, I don't think I'll ever be hunting much farther than 250 yards.
I went from a 270 win, to a 30-06, to a 300 win so far.
The recoil of my 300 win is very comfortable to me and I fired someone elses 338 and it felt about the same.

So give me your opinions.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have both calibers in the exact same rifle, Beretta Matos. Without a doubt the 338 is a great caliber and worth having, however I have never been able to get the velocity I should from the 338 whereas the 300 has always met or exceeded my expectations.

To me, the 338 recoil is greater than the 300 an it is the only gun I have now that has a muzzle brake (old shoulder). The laws of physics say that if you are burning 72 grains of powder, the rifle weighs the same, one bullet weighs 180 or 200 grains and the other caliber bullet weighs 210 or 225, then the larger bullet is going to make that caliber recoil more.

IMO, the 300 win mag is a better all around caliber than the 338 win mag. You just need to get both.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
if you are a crafty guy and handload the 338 with good bullets from 160 gr x to 300 gr jacketed and all in between does everything well some are better in areas but far worse in other areas it is the best all around in my opinion. around 2600 with proper bulletdoes it all no need for super velocity if you are shooting smart at under 250.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
The recoil of my 338 has never bothered me. I had a friend with the same model in 300 win, both m70 sporters. I swear his 300 kicked harder than my 338. Recoil is kind of a relative thing, but even he said my rifle kicked less than his did.

Are you talking about Ruger rifles? Kind of a funny aside, the worst bell ringing I ever got from a rifle was with my cousin's 7 Rem mag in a synthetic stainless rifle. I was thinking, "it's only a 7 mag..." It had that crappy scalloped buttstock that said "Ruger" in it. After firing 3 shots at the range with it, I told him to junk that piece of crap stock and put a better one on it.

When my 338 was my only scoped bolt gun, I used a 160 gr X bullet on a whitetail. THAT was a mistake! It was like a grenade went off in his chest, and blew a fist sized hole out the entrance and exit holes. Roughly 150 yard shot, if I recall (it's been years). Of course, on the up side, there was no need to follow the blood trail!

It's now my dedicated elk rifle, and I use a 257 Wby for deer.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the .338 mag . Having said that how ever I would tend to agree with Woods on choice of .300 mag .

It really boils down to Will you ever shoot Brown Bear Alaskan Moose or Huge Elk ?. A .338 can be loaded down for lighter game . How ever a .300 can't be loaded UP for the above mentioned animals . Least wise not in my limited experience with a .300 mag. .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently went through the same decision making process and settled on the .300 win mag. Two reasons - I shoot it very well and it was recommended to me by a PH that has shot a great deal of game. I have use the .300 on elk, zebra, mule deer, impala, warthog, feral pig, whitetail, wildebeast and have killed everything with one shot. I hung up my .280 in favor of the .300.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had both calibers for many years, I suppose if I had to make a choice then the .338 would win hands down..It is about the best caliber I have ever used, I have shot duiker to buffalo with it and it's just like that silly rabbit, it just keeps on ticking! Smiler

A 210 Nosler at 3020 FPS, and a 300 gr. Woodleigh at 2500 FPS is pretty much an all around caliber IMO....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.338WM without doubt. thumb

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338 is a definate step up in performance. If only Deer hunting the 300 is plenty, on bigger game the 338 is head and shoulders in front. As far as trajectory, I made my longest shot ever with the 250 Nosler at 2750. If you can't get it done with a 338 you shouldn't be shooting at it. Of coarse this is for non dangerous, edible game.

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gohip2000:
between the 300 win and 338 win mag, which would you choose if it was to be your only all around scoped rifle for non dangerous game.
Realisticly, I don't think I'll ever be hunting much farther than 250 yards.
I went from a 270 win, to a 30-06, to a 300 win so far.
The recoil of my 300 win is very comfortable to me and I fired someone elses 338 and it felt about the same.

If you stay true to your words about distance and recoil, the choice is clear -338 Winchester all the way! You will find it to be a GREAT elk thumper and not so ridiculously large to be used on lesser game. It does a workman like job on everything without leaving humongous holes, something that can't be said about a lot of other cartridges.
I have to ask tho, why did you ever trade the -06?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both, in rifles from the same manufacturer. Between the two, the .338 is the more accurate, and achieves greater velocity than "book", while the .300 achieves less. In my two guns, the one in .338 is superior.

With that said, this is only two particular guns. Two other guns may act differently.

The .300 is a tad more "versatile" for most North American game. If you're deer hunting, it can use something very appropriate like a 165 grain spitzer. In most rifles it will fire a 200 grain bullet at a similar velocity to a .338.

The .338 has an advantage on the truly large game, but unless you're hunting coastal Brownies, it really has no advantage until you change continents. For elk and moose the .300 and the .338 are both appropriate and fully adequate.

The bottom line is that if your hunting is for mostly medium-sized game with an occasional trip for elk or moose, then the .300 makes the most sense. If you primarily hunt for the big stuff with an occasional trip for deer, then the .338 fits the bill.

But unless you just want to trade for the sake of trading, there's no advantage in your getting rid of your .300 in favor of a .338.

Posts: 13229 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 338WM and I handload… so I can not speak about Ammo Cost or availability.

I have found it an easy and forgiving round to load and have never had a problem achieving published velocities.
My 338 will do between 1 to ,5 MOA depending on the day or my skill (you Pick).

It will knock down anything. I find the recoil to be manageable and I can shoot with out feeling beat-up at the end of the day.

I picked the 338 and recommend it to any one

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I'd say the 338. With the bullets available to handloaders (and in some GOOD factory ammo), you can go anywhere from 180 to 300 grains with stops everywhere in between. That will take care of anything from antelope to brown bear. Coni Brooks from Barnes bullets told me she LOVES the 338 as a buffalo rifle with a 250gr TSX - when it's legal.

If you can shoot the 300 alright, the 338 should be no problem. Do it and never look back.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, a few answers to a few questions!
1. Yes, I am talking about Ruger Mark II rifles. I have a Hogue stock that seems to make this rifle fit me perfectly. I would transfer that stock to the new rifle if I get it. So far the Ruger 300 win I have is the most accurate bolt rifle I have owned out of Rem, Savage, Ruger. May be that this brand fits me better so I shoot it more accurately, but I've had good luck with this ruger, so I'd like to get the same model
2. Why did I get rid of the 30-06? Because the Remington 700 I had in theat caliber would not even shoot close to accurate. So I tryed a different brand and thought since I'm trying a different brand, I might as well try out a different chambering.

I might not even trade my 300. If I don't I'd get a 375 H&H or Ruger instead to go along with my 300.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 338 win mag, the 340 weatherby mag and the 338/378 KT. All shoot well but, the 338/378 is a -lay um down, don't get in my way--shootin son of a gun without any peers. Doesn't get anymore of my attention than the others but it is way in front of any 338 caliber out there. IMHO.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've never been a big fan of the 308 bores. The recoil of the 338wm is a bit more in identical rifles but the 338wm seems to hit game much harder. If I could lnly have one rifle for all of NA, it would be a 338winmag.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Definitely the .338 for me.

I have a lot of .30s but not one is a magnum.

If I want more than a standard .30, like the .308 Win. or .30-06, can deliver, I have my .338 Win. Mag.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ray Atkinson, .338 WM and not really a contest. If I'm going to shoot a .30 it'll be an '06.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd opt for the 300 win mag. Loaded with 180-200gr bullets it is every bit the equal to the 338 with 210-225gr bullets. Now if we were talking about 340 weatherby or 338 RUM thats another story. I've never had a 338 win that would come close to the velosities it should have. There is also no question in my mind that either will cleanly kill any game animal you would consider using them for.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

A 210 Nosler at 3020 FPS, and a 300 gr. Woodleigh at 2500 FPS is pretty much an all around caliber IMO....

Hey Ray

If I could get close to 3020 fps with a 210 gr bullet that might change my mind. That load in the Nosler #5 shows 76 grains RL19 with the 210 gr bullet to get 3020 fps, but when I load 76 grains RL19 and a 210 grain bullet I get 2852 fps. Have you actually loaded and shot a 210 grain at that velocity and what load was that?

With the 225 grain bullet and RL19 at 72.5 grains (max load) it shows to get 2832 fps in the manual but again I only get 2750 fps. I am a little leary of loading over book max since I had a case head separation on the 6th loading of a case where I was pushing the 225 gr at over max in order to try to get some velocity.

Maybe I have a slow barrel but compare that to the 300 win mag where I can get 3100 fps with the 180 gr bullet and 2950 fps with the 200 gr bullet and stay below book max.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the 300 win has more case capacity than the 338, doesn't it? so I would think that the 300 would launch 180-200 grain bullets slightly faster, but the 338 might be more efficiant because of the case size to bore diameter ratio.

I think I should try some 200+ gr bullets in the 300 and see how I like it.

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't decided yet If I'm going to trade to a 338 or just keep this accurate rifle.

I will probably keep this one now because I am buying a revolver in 480 ruger to go with my lever action in that caliber and I am going for the more expensive BFR instead of the cheaper Taurus Raging Bull.

Can you tell I have my priorities straight. Wink

By the time I'm 50, I hope to have or have had:
.22 mag, .223, 6.5, 7mm-08, 270 win(been there, want another), .338 win, 35 whelen, 358 norma, 375 H&H, 375 RUM, 416 Rigby, 450 dakota, 45-120, 470 Nitro, 470 Capstick,500 A^2, 50 AK, 9mm Luger, 45 ACP, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 475 linebaugh(soon), 500 linebaugh, 460 S&W, a couple of black powder rifles and pistols, .410, 20 gauge, 10 gauge, and maybe a 50 BMG...

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I would make the choice between the two based on the size of game I plan on hunting. If the game is elk size or larger my choice is the 338 WM. IF I planned on sheep then the flatter 300 WM gets the vote. I honestly believe the 338 has less recoil than the 300 WM. Seems it has more of a strong push than a fast slap (300WM).
Both calibers are good choices. The 338 wins when larger or ornary critters are the target. The 300 WM wins when distance is the consideration as it shoots flatter. Well you have everyones two cents worth including mine.
Good luck on which ever caliber you select!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
300 win offers fewer advantages when compared to the 338 Win. The 338 will give you greater knockdown power for equivalent recoil, powder charge, noise, etc. At 250 yds, any ballistic advantage (speed) in the 300 win mag won't be apparent.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a magnum kinda guy....

But I have one of each....and the only one I am missing is the 375 H & H... but I would want that in a Model 70... so that ain't happening anytime soon...

Exceptin' if I win Powerball...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the .338 win mag. The loads I use from Double Tap with 250 grain Nosler Partition Golds ran 2750 fps when we chrono'd them. My Ruger M77 just loves that load!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I vote for the 300.

I don't care what anyone says the 338 has more recoil than a 300 in equal rifles.

The 300 can be used with 150 or 165 grain bullets and achieve amazing velocities, then loaded with 200 or 220 grain bullets to deliver enough foot pounds to cleanly take anything on this continent.

In either case the 300 is neither too light or too heavy, unlike the 338 which in my opinion only starts to shine when the game is elk sized or larger.

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But unless you just want to trade for the sake of trading, there's no advantage in your getting rid of your .300 in favor of a .338.

sounds like good logic to me! I have bullet weights from 180 up to 240 grain for my .30-338(similar to the 300win mag). 225 and 250grn. for all my .338 - 2 win mags and 2 .338-06's. In one particular 8mm or 8x57 I use only one bullet, 200 grn. Partitions.

Suppose when you analyze it all there is no real point in killing power between them all. Most shooting practices are to shoot within range and they all do that just fine.

Trade if you like but like Stonecreek mentioned that there is little difference-penetration and killing is good.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd make the choice based on the max range I might be faced with. At ranges less than 400 yards (which is frankly about the max I ought to shoot anyway in my old age), I'd take the .338 Win Mag any day.

Could be somewhat influenced by my .338 WM. Is a tricked out pre-64 M70 with a Kreiger cut rifled SS barrel. Is fitted with NECG iron sights and Weaver QR rings. Rifle has been Gun-Koted and set in a superb McMillan stock.

Routinely makes 2" or less groups at 300 yards.

The larger bullet diameter of the .338 versus the 300 yields better energy transfer to the target. Just works!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I could get close to 3020 fps with a 210 gr bullet that might change my mind. That load in the Nosler #5 shows 76 grains RL19 with the 210 gr bullet to get 3020 fps, but when I load 76 grains RL19 and a 210 grain bullet I get 2852 fps. Have you actually loaded and shot a 210 grain at that velocity and what load was that?

I am getting 2925 fps w/75.5 gr. RL 19 w/210 gr. NP's in my 338 WM. I stopped at that load even though no pressure signs in my rifle but w/the 5/8" groups @ 100 didn't figure the game could tell the difference if I had another 75 fps. The 338 will do anything a 300 will do and a bit more IMHO.

If my 300 WM shot half as well as the 338 it might not sit in the safe as much as it does. Smiler Honestly can't tell the difference between the two as far a recoil using similar weight bullets.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not believe the .300 Mag kills better than the .30-06, but, the .300 projects it's killing power at a longer distance.

I have used both the .300 and .338 and would take the .338 as my all around rifle.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi All, Having owned and used only a 338 Win Mag (Ruger M77) for the last 20 years, and having just worn out the barrel after somwhere between 5000 and 6000 rounds, I can only say I an very happy with that choice. I have not used the 160gn Barnes X, but I have used 180gn Noslers at 3100, to 300gn Woodleighs at 2450, and almost eveything in between, and really I wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything smaller than Elephant with it (if it were legal). My favourite load is 73gn AR2209 behind the 225gn Nosler Accubond with Norma cases and Fed 215 Primers for 2830fps. Shoots falt, hits hard, is easy to load for. I don't think you can beat it for versatility. It is currently with the gunsmith, needless to say I am rebarelling to the same caliber.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the 300 Weatherby.

Just waiting for Sako to chamber it in an 85 Bavarian and it will be my go to rifle for everything this side of buff and above.

Brass is a little more expensive than the 300 win mag but its a better case IMO in the neck area and the brass is better quality than the run of the mill Winchester/Remington cases anyway.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For non-dangerous game and hunting in areas where non-dangerous game only are present, I would choose the .300 Win Mag.

Posts: 48 | Location: Parma, Italy | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose between the .300 WinMag or the .338 WinMag I'd have to take the .338. With the .338 I would feel adequately equipped to hunt whatever and wherever if I had to. That said, I've take more game, from ground squirrels to elk, with the .300.

If I didn't have a .300 WinMag in my safe that I could take anytime I wanted I think I'd have to get one soonest, or wouldn't be able to rest until I did.

.338 - but get the .300 too.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a 300 win mag and a 338 win mag.I now have no 300 win mag and 10 338 win mags .I just sold two of my extra guns which I hated to do but building a house things have to go.I have shot 3/4" groups 3 shot at 200 yards with my Ruger model 77s mII stainless and my Ruger mark I.I love these guns.I thouygh might some day wear out the ruger so I bought an extra one.I have shot 90 deer with 90 shots from 3 to 425 yards.I shot 4 or 5 deer with the 300 win mag and decided I didnt like it much more than a 30-06.I gave it to my dad who only hunts deer.
I use 200 gr winchester power points for deer I love those bullets.I wish i had 5000 of them to reload but I have never seen any in reloading boxes.They do the job awesome with very little blood shot.I shot wild hogs and a coyote with this bullet.I Love the 338 win mag as the best all around gun for all North American Big Game.The ruger model 77s have a medium heavy barrel which makes the 338 kick alot less than thin barreled 338s.My 338 win mag in a model 70 stainless with a boss kicked like a mule because of the stock and thin barrel.It was like a 270 with the ported boss.I like the 250 gr Nosler Partition or Speer Grand Slam bullets for animals larger than 500 pounds.I do like the 225 gr bullets but the 250 gr penitrate alot better than the 250 gr.I have heard the 250 gr serria bullet is awesome.I bought a 338-378 Weatherby and love it.In Alaska here I use it more than the 338 win mag on the open tundra.It just adds about 250-300 yards to the 338s range.I love those old Ruger model 77s for quickness .I can shoot running deer like quail on the rise with it because of being so use to the gun.The 338 is alot more easier to me to fool with than the 338-378 because of less cost and in more guns and less picky about being cleaned alot.I love the 338 wion mag.I cant wait till I get to use it on elk .I have heard it was made for bear and elk.I think below 200 gr in the 338 is a mistake due to S.D. of the bullet.The 338 wont push the 300 gr very fast but up close I bet it would be an awesome bullet.The 338 win mag is way better than the 300 win mag which is a fast 30-06.I had too much trouble finding the right bullet for the 300 win mag for deer for my dad.I finally got plain jane 180 gr soft points which were alright.It tears up alot more meat than my 338 ever does.I think the 200 gr hornady is close to the Winchester 200 gr power point.There are so many awesome 388 bullets now.It just makes it an even better caliber for the one gun for all North American Big Game.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Keep your 300WM, and still get the 338WM. Thats what I'm going to do. I love my Sako m75SS 300WM but found a sweet deal on a used Sako m75SS 338WM, so I cant resist it. Should of bought used a Sako m75SS 270WSM in the "SM" action this past winter when I had the chance-eventhough I already have 2 270WSM in Tikka T3 LS models.

Not that I need the 338WM for my big game hunting as I was thinking of a 338-06, but this deal fell in my lap I guess. My 300WM with 180gr Accubonds is more than enough for big game here in Alberta.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must admit that I think the .338 Win Mag doesn't kick harder than the .300s. I think it pushes more but with less violence to my shoulder.

As a result of that and the better energy transfer of the larger diameter bullet, I almost always take the .338 when the shots will be under 350 yards. It has never let me down!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
338/300 win Big Grin

get another 25 fps

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300RUM with the 200gr bullet has more downrange energy than the 338WM with the 200gr bullet.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't really care that much about energy figures. I wouldn't shoot a 338 with anything less than 225 gr bullets anyways. 200 gr bullets and down are what the 300 shoots.