Find
Notify
Tools

Grouping my rifle@ 100-300
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted
I tried a new way of grouping my rifle a couple of weeks ago. I only shot one group like this just out of curiosity. I have a Remington 700 CDL in 35 whelen shooting 225 gr. TSX's @ 2730. It(or me) usually keep the 100 groups @ 1". Well I shot a couple of foulers , let the barrel cooland then shot one @ 100, one @ 200 and one @ 300. First shot 3" high second shot was about 1" high and the third shot was approx. an 1 1/2" to the right of the second shot. All pretty close together, I'm guessing but the whole group was around 2.5". I think the gun is ready for elk season. I had never tried this and was pretty happy with the results. Anyone else done this? I've always done my checking on different targets. Big Grin

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Ray, As of late, Ive been shooting my rifles at 300yds just to see how high or low theyre shooting in conjunction with my groups at 100yds, and for group size of course. Not sure If i understand, but are you shooting at the same target, same POI at the different ranges, and then noticing how they group? Ive never done that. lefty

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Yes that is exactly it. I was just curious where they would hit in relation to each other. It was just an observation.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I usually shoot 3 shot groups @ 100, 200 & 300 then take the center of the group as my drop. A single round really tells you little as it could be a pulled shot, slightly lower/higher vel. etc.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Recently I've been shooting at my farm where I have a target set up and benches at 100 yards, 170 yards and 260 yards. I know these are odd distances but the way the hills work out that is all I can do. This has been a good way for me to shoot as I can shoot from those distances at the one target. Lately my 257 Rob has proven to be very deadly at all of those distances.
My last 260 yard group of three was under and inch and a half and positioned at 6 o'clock.
Good luck with your shooting.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Yes fredj338 i shoot 3 shot groups all the time, at those ranges, I was just stating that all three shots were pretty close with holds being different, well at 300 the hold is different. In other words I was in the kill zone of an elk very easily at all those ranges. Big Grin Good jod Snellstrom thats what i'm talkin about.

Straight shootin to ya