New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 WSM?
 Login/Join

<WSJ>
posted
Or 350 WSM, if you prefer. Will Winchester produce a factory 35 caliber short magnum and when? I'm sure it's already been done as a wildcat and it seems like a natural . . . 35 Whelen or maybe 358 Norma performance in a short action/barrel.

I've got a 350 Rem Mag (700 Classic) that I'm in no hurry to change over to anything, but a rechamber to a 35 caliber beltless magnum when the sources of brass dry up would seem to make sense. I'm just looking ahead. Or maybe trying to justify another 35. -WSJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
WSJ,

Dies and reamers are available for the 358WSM. I have a 338 Wsm, and it's my guess that the 338 will be the next to be standardized.

A 358 WSM would be interesting. Much as a 375 & 416 WSM would be.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
How about a switch barrel rifle with all barrels based on the WSM case and ranging from .257 to .416!!!! I like to dream!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's quite a spread in bore diameter...some of those barrels are going to be either too heavy or too light..and what about the barrel channel?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Kifaru switch barrel rifles on their site. I think one of these puppies in alll the WSM configurations would be just the ticket. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
If I remember right, Kifaru offers their rifle in a myriad of wildcats based on the WSM, but at a 'good' price!! I like to have one with a little more weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They do two weight ranges, a microlight and an ultra light. One is 3.5 lbs and the other is 4.5 lbs. $3100 and $2900 each, so yes they are a trifle spendy. Cool concept though. Years ago I took a 600 Remington and rebarreled it with a light contour 23" barrel in 284 Win. Throated and modified the magazine for 3" col, put a 2 X 7 Leoupold on it, and a lightweight stock. What a great little rifle. It kicked pretty good for a little gun though. I think a 3.5 lb 7mm WSM would be even more exciting. I'd like to try it though. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WSM:

If you rechambered your 350 Remington Magnmum to use the WSM case you would be giving up one round of magazine capacity. In your Remington, that would mean a magazine holding only two rounds, and your cartridge overall length would be extremely limited. I don't know how you feel about it, but would you be willing to trade an extra round in the magazine for 100 fps additional velocity when facing something big and "bitey"?

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WSJ,

Stonecreek has a very valid point.

When I did my 338 WSM on the 700 action I ended up with 2 in the magazine + 1 in the chamber.

Good thing my gunsmith in CT is able to get it back to 3 in the magazine - just like a RUM chambered 700 action.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote