New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm mauser for hunting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's time for a new(old m48 rebuild)rifle. I am gonna have one built this coming year if everything works out right. I got everything for the build except stock, scope mounts, and open sights and a scope(leupold probably). I do reload and got lots of 06 brass to make 8mm's. I had experience with this cartridge before. Everything it hit went down. I normally hunt mule deer and elk sometimes antelope when I draw here in Oregon. I figured on using 200 grains partitions or accubonds. It's an intermediate length action.So my questions are, about how far can I safely take an elk with the old German cartridge? I know it takes practice. I live in the high desert where I got game as close as 20 feet to 300 yards using rifle. There coulda been shots along farther but I chose not to take the shot. 2nd question is would you feel safe to take the 8mm to Alaska for a hunt? It's gonna cost about 2000 bucks to build. Or should I just buy a new rifle? Thanks Chris.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, the 8mm Mauser is a great round. Like the 7mm Mauser, it seems to be more effective than the ballistics would suggest. A friend of mine uses the 8mm as his sole hunting rifle. Think of it as the European 30-06. An 8mm Mauser with a good 200gr bullet would take any game Alaska has to offer. Just be careful of hot reloads with an older military action.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
How far can you safely take an Elk? You state you want to use a 200 gr Partition. You can launch them at 2700 fps. So, if you run the numbers through any one of the many free online calculators, you find that at 400 yards the bullet is still traveling at a900 fps with 1600 FPE.

To build or buy, that's a decision you need to make. You want a rifle built for you, to your specs, or one built for the "average" shooter?

I've shot the 8x57 for many years, it's a great cartridge that's very versatile and traps a tremendous punch.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I always wanted a rifle just for me.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 170's in mine and consider it a near 300yd elk rifle.
I use a 30-06 for deer with a 150.
I was also using the 8X57 for a bit, but 150 at 2800 is a 150 at 2800.

I decided to keep the near same ballistics and simply use the 8 for Elk and the 30 for deer rather than trying to sneak in a re-sight during the week between hunts.

Posts: 4961 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 8x57 on a 98 semi sporter.

Mil barrel ram line stock, drilled tapped, bent bolt. Timmy trigger and safety.

Shoots well wife has used to take deer and bear.

185gr Rem. cor-loc's at around 2600fps does the job.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
It's time for a new(old m48 rebuild)rifle. I am gonna have one built this coming year if everything works out right. I got everything for the build except stock, scope mounts, and open sights and a scope(leupold probably). I do reload and got lots of 06 brass to make 8mm's. I had experience with this cartridge before. Everything it hit went down. I normally hunt mule deer and elk sometimes antelope when I draw here in Oregon. I figured on using 200 grains partitions or accubonds. It's an intermediate length action.So my questions are, about how far can I safely take an elk with the old German cartridge? I know it takes practice. I live in the high desert where I got game as close as 20 feet to 300 yards using rifle. There coulda been shots along farther but I chose not to take the shot. 2nd question is would you feel safe to take the 8mm to Alaska for a hunt? It's gonna cost about 2000 bucks to build. Or should I just buy a new rifle? Thanks Chris.

Question #2 Hell yes tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 8x57 but Id go with the 8mm-06 if I was building one, I just sold my 8mm-06 ackley and it was my favorite, shot several elk with it and its definatly a killer..but I get bored and like to change calibers from time to time. My favorite bullet for the 8x57 to the 8mm-06 Ackley was the 160 gr. GS Customs Hollow point monolithic, it went plus 3000 even in my 8x57 Brno mod 21, 8x60, 8mm-06 and the 8mm-06
ackley shot flatter than a flitter, and killed exceptionally well, on recovered bullets were rare indeed..all great calibers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I love the 8X57 but I wouldnt drop 2 grand on one built on an M-48. The resale value wouldnt be there at all. Then again I build my own mausers soo, there is that.

I really liked the Hornady 196 gn SP but I dont think they even make them anymore. If I went down the 8X57 road again I would probably try the Privy Partisan 196 grainers. At 8X57 velocity a heavy for caliber cup and core slug will do a bang up job as long as it is placed well.

Posts: 10111 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have several good pieces of advice here. First if you are dropping $2k on a custom build you can afford a better action. Find a commercial mauser like an FN that Husqvarna used. Lots of them on the market with good commercial barrels in 8x57. That step will save you money.Go with the full length mauser action rather than the intermediate length. This will allow you to seat the 200 gr bullets out for full throttle loads. Nothing wrong with a 8x57 properly loaded but the 8mm-06 AI is a lot more rifle. The selection of 8mm bullets while not huge is adequate. Bullets in the 170,175 and 180 gr make great deer bullets and 200 gr partitions, TSX or A frames will handle everything bigger

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Heres a much better platform to build on. Notice the factory milled, hinged floorplate.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918656250

The M-48 is a good strong action. I have a 308 and a 260 Remington built on the M-48. So there's nothing wrong with it. They will take aftermarket M-98 triggers and safety upgrades. But you are still stuck with the Milsurp floor plate. On the other hand even that is better then the blind magazine, tupperware crap that you get with new rifles these days. If that is what you want then go for it. The 8X57 will feed like a dream. But once you make the decision you are committed.
You could do like I did and build a barrel vise, buy a barrel wrench and some headspace gauges and learn to install your own barrels. But that is a rabbit hole for another discussion. Whatever you choose, good luck with your build.

Posts: 10111 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked for a gun stock for an intermediate length Mauser action? I looked and eventually settled on a Boyd's laminate, see attached.

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Simpsons LTD for a barreled action.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
That's nice Jim. I have Boyds stocks on at least 4 of my mausers. Did you do the forend tip and checkering yourself?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, they were options I selected when I ordered the stock.

Here's a list pf options from the order:

PLAT MAUSER YUGO 48 #1 BC - 524551Q431ZZ
NUTMEG LAMINATE - C10011
STANDARD RIFLE STOCK FINISH - CR1STD
13 3/4" LENGTH OF PULL *STANDARD* - CL0P19
BLACK POLYMER GRIP CAP - C10062
1/2" RECOIL PAD W/ BOYDS' LOGO - C50004
BLACK POLYMER TIP - C10918
FULL WRAP PATTERN: MULTI POINT TEXTURE: CHECKERING - 120059

quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
That's nice Jim. I have Boyds stocks on at least 4 of my mausers. Did you do the forend tip and checkering yourself?

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
….My favorite bullet for the 8x57 to the 8mm-06 Ackley was the 260 gr. GS Customs Hollow point monolithic, it went plus 3000 even in my 8x57 Brno mod 21, 8x60, 8mm-06 and the 8mm-06 packley shot flatter than a flitter, and killed exceptionally well, on recovered bullets were rare indeed..all great calibers.

You want to correct the typo? A 260 grain bullet at 3000 fps gives 5200 fpe, more than a .378 Weatherby delivers. No way it gets that velocity in an 8x57 case.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I grew up occasionally using an old military surplus 8mm Mauser for mule deer hunting. I believe that my dad reloaded 150 grain spitzers for it. I also recall that it had some kick to it. I also used a pre-64 Model 70 270 Winchester as well, and I preferred the 270 to the 8 mm Mauser. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In recent years, in Europe the 8x57 has started to exceed the popularity of 7x64. The reason for it is that the cartridge has mild recoil, is perfect for medium ranges and can tackle all game here with certainty. I do not see a reason why a 200 gr bullet would not handle anything in your area as well. If I had to decide for the same caliber diameter, I would opt for 8x64, just to have a bit more reserve. The cartridge is CIP standardized and can be obtained as factory ammo by Sellier&Bellot or Brenneke. By the way, in power it is a twin to 8mm-06.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
quote:
….My favorite bullet for the 8x57 to the 8mm-06 Ackley was the 260 gr. GS Customs Hollow point monolithic, it went plus 3000 even in my 8x57 Brno mod 21, 8x60, 8mm-06 and the 8mm-06 packley shot flatter than a flitter, and killed exceptionally well, on recovered bullets were rare indeed..all great calibers.

You want to correct the typo? A 260 grain bullet at 3000 fps gives 5200 fpe, more than a .378 Weatherby delivers. No way it gets that velocity in an 8x57 case.

The .378wea does 3000 ft/sec with a 300grain.

Ray's loads for 8x57s are nasty. I think he uses 52grain Blue Dot for 200grain bullets. That will boost the ol' 8mm to new levels. I don't think they should be fired in a Blaser.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I still use this Brno 21 in 8x57. I swapped someone my altered bottom metal for an original DST setup. Wish I had kept the one I had but one day I'll get around to altering it. For now though, it still continues to perform.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I like the 8x57 but Id go with the 8mm-06 if I was building one, I just sold my 8mm-06 ackley and it was my favorite, shot several elk with it and its definatly a killer..but I get bored and like to change calibers from time to time. My favorite bullet for the 8x57 to the 8mm-06 Ackley was the 260 gr. GS Customs Hollow point monolithic, it went plus 3000 even in my 8x57 Brno mod 21, 8x60, 8mm-06 and the 8mm-06
ackley shot flatter than a flitter, and killed exceptionally well, on recovered bullets were rare indeed..all great calibers.

A 260 @ 3000 plus from an 8x57? Yeah, sure.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
When I was considering an 8mm build … I stepped up a bit more and went with the 8x68mmS. I’m launching a 200 gr Accubond at 3100 fps with my current load.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my blaser r8 in 8x57. The barrel loves the cheap ppu ammo.

I need to hunt with it in 2022. I have some custom nosier 8x57 ammo.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I corrected that Mr. yeah sure!!, how about a 160 gr. Barnes..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gunsmith I've been talking to said that includes the stock with the 2 grand. Sounds like nice piece of wood. I bought Wisner safety from AR. Timney trigger. I want Talley rings with the option of the peep sight(just in case).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your on the right track, but the 8mm-06 is more economical as a rule, and a better caliber..My favorite has been the 8mm-06 Ackley, but for no particular reason, just kills elk really well and shoots flatter than the rest..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
How far can you safely take an Elk? You state you want to use a 200 gr Partition. You can launch them at 2700 fps. So, if you run the numbers through any one of the many free online calculators, you find that at 400 yards the bullet is still traveling at a900 fps with 1600 FPE..

If, as I have read, cup and core bullets, including partitions, don't expand at velocities less than 1800 fps, then is it ethical to use them at ranges where they don't expand?

And one other thing, and this is a very important other thing, do these bullets tumble when going super sonic to sonic? In my experience with this phenomenon, books and manufacturer's don't provide this information and it can't be predicted. but it is real, and real with bullets, at velocities, that the manufacturer said it would not happen. The only way to determine if the bullet does not tumble at distance, is to shoot them. To shoot them in the gun you will use, and with the load you will lose. And probably at the humidity you will use. Density of air makes a difference on drag.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I still use this Brno 21 in 8x57. I swapped someone my altered bottom metal for an original DST setup. Wish I had kept the one I had but one day I'll get around to altering it. For now though, it still continues to perform.

Great looking rifle there!

Posts: 51 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
When looking at load data for the 8x57, you always have the issue under loaded factory ammo in the US and conservative reloading data because of older rifles.

That being said, you should be able to achieve an accurate load of 2600 fps with a 200 grain Nosler Partition. That load would be good to 425 yards and still be safely above the minimum impact velocity of 1800 fps.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
That being said, you should be able to achieve an accurate load of 2600 fps with a 200 grain Nosler Partition. That load would be good to 425 yards and still be safely above the minimum impact velocity of 1800 fps.

Someone with butterfingers must have had a typo in a previous post. I will comment, I looked up my 35 Whelen data, 2600 fps is achievable with 200 Federal Fusions, but not getting 2700 fps without blown primers. And that is in a 24 inch barrel. Given that the bullet diameter of a 35 whelen is 358 and that of a Mauser is 323, I do not believe 2700 fps is achievable even with a 30-06 case without blown or leaking primers. Though, if the throat has lots of freebore, maybe.

I am very skeptical of "long range" shots being within the marksmanship ability of those promoting such things, and whether he bullet expands at distance, and does not tumble going sub sconic. Book values are to be taken as "guidance". More times than not, what I see over the chronograph, and the groups at distance, conflict with the claims of the in print crowd.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not really a problem to get 2700 fps in a 30-06 with a 200 gr. Accubond or partition in a proper rifle its a max load, but a safe max load in my 26" and 24" rifles...Same load I use for the 180 gr. and it depends on the powder you use..

That said if one wants to push it at 2600 fps and I do in a 22 inch barrel, then thats fine also.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had to go look up my books but 50g of Varget in a Norma case in a modern rifle will send a 196g Woodleigh out at 2620fps with no pressure signs. Accuracy wasn’t wonderful so I stuck with 170g SSTs at 2800fps with 50g of 2206H which put 3 rounds into a clover leaf.

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote