New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 721 300H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found an old Rem 721 the other day chambered in 300H&H and am thinking about buying it. It's the first time i've seen an H&H on the rack and a first for a 721 as well. I'm guessing someone had dad's or grandpa's rifle and decided they needed something more fitting for self defense.
The gun looks to be well used but I'm really interested in it since I don't have a large 30 cal anymore and this one just screams take me home.

Does anyone have experience with the 721s? Particularly the 300H&H?

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aside from a few differences, (different extractors and different safety levers)the 721 rifles are very similar to the 700. The 700 extractor will not work in the 721 bolt, and 721 extractors are like hens teeth.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Palladin8
721 Rems are a sleeper (cheap but not cheaply made) in my opinion. If the bolt is fairly snug in the action buy it if the price is right. A friend bought his new in 1957-ish and it still shoots right on. Great action, superb machining tolerances. Still priced right at about $300 to $375 for a clean one in non magnum calibers. A mag should be worth 100-200 more. Mags seem to be rarely offered. Subtract $75 for minor pitting including the bolt face. Heavy pitting anywhere is a red flag. Be patient for the next one.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information Gents. I wasn't able to work the bolt since it was zip tied shut. Other than worn bluing and a few dents on the stock it appears to be in ok shape. I didn't notice any pitting and where I live rust isn't usually an issue. Now if I can just get a hold of the shop and make time to get it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The one I had kicked very hard because of no recoil pad, and the drop in the stock made it really jump up.

but shot like a dream.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could always fit a Remington 700 stock of some kind on it

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
The one I had kicked very hard because of no recoil pad, and the drop in the stock made it really jump up.

but shot like a dream.

I noticed the stock does have drop in it like the European style stocks so you can use the sights. my CZ 550FS is like that.

The recoil pad on this thing is so hard that it might as well be a steel butt plate. So that will be the first thing to go. I will look for one that will fit and replace it straight away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the rifle, dies, and brass will be here shortly.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Always seem to be two or 3 on GB at any one time; $600.
And too many Ruger #1s to count for $12-1500 it seems.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Glad ya snagged the deal..

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked it up at the store. When I looked it over the first time I didn't catch that the scope was a Weaver KV 2.75-5. I was thinking it was a fixed power.
The scope looks a little rough around the edges but the glass is clear and the magnification adjusts smoothly. I may try it out on the gun before I pull it off to mount another scope.

According to the date it was made in 1951.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned and hunted with a number of Rem 721s and 722s, early years..I still like those guns, you snagged a dandy elk rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote