Find
Notify
Tools

Recovered bullet photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I'd like to see a thread of recovered bullets. I know this is the medium bore forum but if you have any recovered "Small" or "Big Bore" bullets - I'd like to see them here as well.

Here is my contribution...the first I've ever been able to recover. Our own Bobby Tomek is a great inspiration for us to get good photos and check bullet performance if it stays inside the animal.

280 Remington
150 yards / 150lb hog
140gr Nosler Solid Base (Factory Federal load)
weighed 97.4 grains

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
140 grain Barnes X from 270 Weatherby, one from a river bank and one from a Gemsbok.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
450-grain North Fork Solid from a .458 WM. Stopped by a vertebra in a cow elephant.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post

Recovered 400gr North Fork soft and cup point solid from my 404 Jeffery, animal was a Cape Buffalo. Soft was fired full broadside at 40 yds. The CPS was fired going away to my right at about 50 yards, it penetrated about half the body length and was found sitting in the bottom of the chest cavity.

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
37t Weatherby Mag, 300g Swift A-Frame from a brown bear at 13 yards. Bear was facing me diagonally, bullet entered his right front shoulder, destroyed the lungs and heart, ended up in the hide of left rear thigh, still weighed 299.5 grains. I still have it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Thanks for posting with photos.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the thread. I have not recovered any bullets to post. I need to hunt more!

Posts: 10804 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

458 Lott 450gr. Northfork cup point solids and one soft point recovered from two buffalo in Zimbabwe.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for contributing, lets keep this going!

Wow Chuck that is a giant bear!

All these Northforks look great recovered

Hannay - wow I like how those naturalis are all picture perfect expansion

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks, actually he was just shy of 9' squared but at 13 yards he looked really really big Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
180gn accubonds shot from a 300 mag. Shots were around 350 yards. Recovered from Gemsbok. I took a total of around 12 animals, springbok & gemsbok at ranges mostly 250 to 350 and these three are the only ones recovered. All animals one shot kills.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
These photos are the same 180gn Woodleigh bullet (just different sides) from a 308Win. It was recovered from the off side back-strap of a sambar stag (not shot by me), after going through the on side of the spine. Distance was 150 yards

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of pictures of recovered bullets taken from game, and I have some mounted on a plaque or two..but unfortunately don't have the knowledge of posting them on AR, I can send them to interested parties email, that's the best I can do..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Ray if you email them to me I will try to get them put on here

Archerlee @ aol.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll do that
Ray

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a failure, so corrected it and forwarded the photos to you..let me know and thanks.
RAy

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Contributions from Ray Atkinson

*These may be extremely large photos but had trouble getting them embedded*

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Coyote with a 100gr Interlock in its nose.

Recovered bullet

This was a 268 yard neck shot with a .257 Weatherby Mag 100gr Hornady Interlock

one of us
posted Hide Post
the Lapua are impressive, Ive never used them, but will correct that problem for next year..Sure lots of great bullets out there today, wasn't always like that in my time, Thank you bullet makers!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
300 grain TSX from (Left to right) Bushbuck, Gemsbok and Cape Buffalo.

235 grain (.375 H&H) Cutting Edge Extended Range Raptor bullet from a bushbuck at 200 meters

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

My 35 Whelen 225 grain Accubond recovered from my cow. Click to enlarge.

Posts: 10804 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
November 2020.
200 grain ELDx
300 WM, 3000 fps.
Recovered under the skin on the offside shoulder of a MT bull elk. 330 yards.
120 grains total weight.

Skibumplus3

(THANKS FOR THE EMAIL/CONTRIBUTION!)

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
All from 7mm-08

Sierra 150gr Gameking recovered from red deer shot about 50m, angled from above down through shoulder stopping low down in opposite leg.

Hornady 139gr SST recovered from bull tahr shot about 200m through shoulders stopping under skin opposite side.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Those look great Eagle! The 7mm-08 is a favorite cartridge of mine. I'm also a fan of the Sierra Game King (Especially heavy for caliber)

one of us
posted Hide Post
The old HOrnady INterlock, is still a great bullet for deer, elk and PG..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Axis Doe
75 yards quartering away

Went in behind the last rib and through the off shoulder.
Stopped in the hide

Winchester Powerpoint 130gr
270 Winchester

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5X54 MS
156 GR. S&B Factory Load
Whitetail doe at 100yds.

https://imgur.com/ZSJ3UvF

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Up top

one of us
posted Hide Post
the WW Power Point, WW silvertip, Rem corelokt, have never let me down as for "cup and core bullets", cheap and perform well...I can say the same for most speer bullets but have not used them all that much..

My favorites are Nosler Accubond and partitions, depending on caliber..Woodleighs and North Forks.

Im not great on monolithics, which puts me in the minority for sure...they seem to be the rage these days..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im not great on monolithics, which puts me in the minority for sure...they seem to be the rage these days..

Can say I have never shot game a mono core bullet.

In do have a few box's of Barnes for my 416 and well use them when I run out of 350gr grand slams.

That could be awhile.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are my 510 grain Paper patched bullets for my .45/70. The 2 on the right are the only ones I have been able to capture in elk. Never had to take more than one shot on anything. Wink

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
If I can find it again I will post it. But 140 grain Swift Scirrocco from a mule deer at 675 yards through the front shoulder. Recovered from just in front of opposite shoulder. 270 WSM and it weighed 127.5 grains and perfectly mushroomed. I was very impressed with the weight retention

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote